• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Canales benched Bryce

Frank9999

1 minute ago, strato said:

WTF was he supposed to say right after the game? 

We don't know that the decision was yet made at that moment. I don't think it would have been. 

Well in all honesty, I think something like "I can't speak to that right now.  I haven't seen the film yet." would have implied it was solely his call.  It's possible he was just trying to stick up for Bryce in the heat of the moment.  But it's hard to completely ignore the potential implication in what he said.

Benching Bryce after week 2 is a pretty bold move.  And I think at the very minimum, it implies total buy in from ownership, management, and coaching.

7 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Well in all honesty, I think something like "I can't speak to that right now.  I haven't seen the film yet." would have implied it was solely his call.  It's possible he was just trying to stick up for Bryce in the heat of the moment.  But it's hard to completely ignore the potential implication in what he said.

Benching Bryce after week 2 is a pretty bold move.  And I think at the very minimum, it implies total buy in from ownership, management, and coaching.

I considered that because someone else said the same thing.

If you say 'I have to look at the tape" you are legitimizing the question of whether you are considering it.

It gives it cred and the poo starts working its way down the wire that Canales says he is going to have to watch the tape, Bryce Young's career hanging by a thread etc etc you know how those fugers are. .

At that moment he was the starter. End of story. 

edit: to the benching question, he should have been sat down last year. That had to be Tepper. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, strato said:

WTF was he supposed to say right after the game? 

We don't know that the decision was yet made at that moment. I don't think it would have been. 

Not much else. He was being very appropriate and diplomatic given the circumstances so what he said in respect to what eventually went down I find a non-story.

• Pie 5

7 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Not much else. He was being very appropriate and diplomatic given the circumstances so what he said in respect to what eventually went down I find a non-story.

Okay a kindred mind here... on this one.

I believe he could have known from his eyes the same way we knew (but much sharper eyes). I believe he would go through the process of affirming his feelings in his postgame routine (of two weeks). 

Watch the tape with your OC, whatever. Everything else he did. 

The sky is bluer, the grass is greener. 

It's like rediscovering fun. I'm so tired I can't take wins seriously but just play a game where these guys show up hungry and have fun showing what they can do.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's like rediscovering fun. I'm so tired I can't take wins seriously but just play a game where these guys show up hungry and have fun showing what they can do.

It was the worst pro football I have seen since the old Tampa Bay Bucs with John McKay. 

I am not sure Bryce could make that team. 

Actually, now that I think about it; in those days, he would have needed an ambulance.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 3

It was the worst pro football I have seen since the old Tampa Bay Bucs with John McKay. 

I am not sure Bryce could make that team. 

He is running with J Russell. He is going to break the former 1st round guys passing though here to find greener pastures elsewhere streak.

He peeked in school. Some guys do. It's not the same game.

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

I think Tepper "heavily" suggested benching Bryce. Dave Canales simply followed orders

I believe that Canales was committed to following the company line of fixing Bryce until Tepper decided that an immediate change of course was necessary. We'll likely never get to the full truth of the matter. Canales didn't seem like his normal open positive self during that presser. Tepper got to him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1