• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield on Bryce Young

NAS

Just now, LegioX said:

Great players elevate your team. Look at Catlin Clark. Comes in as a rookie with a lot of weight on her shoulders and lights up the league. The entire team is better because of her and they went from a crap team to playoff contender in one season. Don’t give me that “not a good supporting cast” BS. 

great players find ways to win and Bryce Young is not one of them.

3 minutes ago, LegioX said:

Great players elevate your team. Look at Catlin Clark. Comes in as a rookie with a lot of weight on her shoulders and lights up the league. The entire team is better because of her. Don’t give me that “not a good supporting cast” BS. 

I was saying the same thing last year.  CJ Stroud did not magically walk into the best team in football that just needed to plug in a QB to be a playoff team.  CJ Stroud made everyone around him better, he made pedestrian WR's look like all-stars.  He made a makeshift o-line look serviceable!  The D could play with speed and aggression because they weren't on the field 90% of the game.  They call the QB position the most important position in football for a reason!  Heck, look at Alec Pierce with Indy, he is a JAG at best but when AR is playing and can throw that ball 75 yards with a flick of a wrist Alec seems to be one of the top WR so far this year!  The examples go on and on and on for decades, in different eras, etc.  That is why I don't understand how some, and some experts keep talking about the Panthers ruining Bryce, Bryce is ruining everyone around him in Carolina.  Nothing against the kid personally and hate it for him as a human being because being told something like this sucks but truth is the truth.

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, strato said:

I took a two year break where I just read the scores and didn't listen or watch. Tepper just took a lot of the fun away I didn't want Rhule, it was just ...break time.

So I missed whatever Darnold people complain about. What I saw in 2022 was almost there and had the tool set. Not slow. Tall, great arm,  was rooting for him and thought if Wilks stayed and Darnold stayed maybe they could be pretty good.

I don't have the scorn for him that a lot of people do. I suppose I'm rooting for him but you know, fug Minnesota totally. Except when they play the Saints lol. 

If you go back and watch our game against patriots in 2021, you’ll see why so many are against the idea of him.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, LegioX said:

Great players elevate your team. Look at Catlin Clark. Comes in as a rookie with a lot of weight on her shoulders and lights up the league. The entire team is better because of her. Don’t give me that “not a good supporting cast” BS. 

To paraphrase Baker, Bryce's story is far from over, but from reading the prologue, certain things are already clear.

He definitely is NOT a take over the locker room and lead by the sheer weight of his personality type. He's just not that kind of QB. I think he could be "great" in different ways, but that much is clear. He could be great on a great team; a great piece in an offense, but he'll never be a "great one"

13 minutes ago, Captroop said:

To paraphrase Baker, Bryce's story is far from over, but from reading the prologue, certain things are already clear.

He definitely is NOT a take over the locker room and lead by the sheer weight of his personality type. He's just not that kind of QB. I think he could be "great" in different ways, but that much is clear. He could be great on a great team; a great piece in an offense, but he'll never be a "great one"

I was just comparing him and Clark because they both went #1 in their perspective sport.

but yes you are right. He is not great, but maybe being drafted #1 you should show signs (at least somewhat) of greatness. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, CRA said:

I don't see why so many are making this hard

we drafted a QB that doesn't have the tools to be a good NFL QB

THEN we choose to set the table for it to go as bad as it possibly could go.  So whatever he could of been (which wasn't going to be good enough)......we made sure it never happened. 

Two things can be true.  Generally in life multiple things are true.  All discussion boils down to it has to be one and if it is one...it can't be the other. 

I think the point of contention here is "if he has the tools" the vast majority of the NFL had him as the #1 QB and he has failed to live up to the hype but I think the leagues thinking is those tools just don't evaporate overnight so they're looking at it as a team failure more than a ability failure rn and most of fans see it differently 

6 hours ago, Waldo said:

Baker played under Tepper's missmanagement and now plays them twice a year. Why would he not be smiling while stirring that pot? Good for him.

Also does Tampa look like they miss DC? I didn't catch their games at all but they look to be putting up better numbers without him.

Canales offense in Tampa last season was just below average they ranked 23rd in total yards & 20th in points  ...just saying

Edited by bandu
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, bandu said:

Canales offense in Tampa last season was just below average they ranked 23rd in total yards & 20th in points  ...just saying

I know but he still has some positives. There are not many people in this team that don't have a lot to prove and work on.

46 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

I think the point of contention here is "if he has the tools" the vast majority of the NFL had him as the #1 QB and he has failed to live up to the hype but I think the leagues thinking is those tools just don't evaporate overnight so they're looking at it as a team failure more than a ability failure rn and most of fans see it differently 

There is a big disconnect somewhere because his tools were always simple to quantify, outside of his magic noggin.