• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would quarterbacks avoid Carolina Panthers in NFL Draft?

jayboogieman

As far as players coming here... build something someone respects and things change. It only takes a few of the right people to get you going.

Tepper needs to ice that damned turf and put grass in too. You want players to want to come here? That is a point in his favor, or a point off.

• Pie 1

Top 5 pick teams usually have crap o lines. It’s one of the biggest reasons why they lose all the time and don’t score enough to be competitive. The hamster wheel of trying to compete is real. Need an elite QB, draft one and put him behind your crap o line, he gets killed, your promising WRs go stale and you keep losing. A top pick QB going to a team with a built o line doesn’t happen all that frequently.

Trying to build an elite o line through the draft is so tough when you’re starting from scratch. Those guys are usually gone by mid second round. Then, what if you whiff on a couple of picks. Or injuries. Years go by and no progress is ever made. 

This is why the more I think of it, the more I like how aggressive Morgan went on o line this year. It was an expensive buy, but very crafty. Instant infusion of vet leadership from 2 high level guys, Not just JAGs that can show the basics. This is HUGE for icky. He’s still a raw talent. Watch him kill it this year. We need to keep feeding the line with each draft. Morgan didn’t just drop 2 studs on the line, he changed the whole complexion. 

• Pie 1

If Andy can play qb behind a good OL, then this will not be an issue.  I would like to see him have success and lead the transition to the next QB.  Our problem has been OL--for several years--It is not the case now.  Dalton will not be great, but he will be average most of the time.  That should be enough

• Pie 3

45 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If Andy can play qb behind a good OL, then this will not be an issue.  I would like to see him have success and lead the transition to the next QB.  Our problem has been OL--for several years--It is not the case now.  Dalton will not be great, but he will be average most of the time.  That should be enough

A quality offensive line is the best deodorant. 

They were talking about this on the radio on my way home. They called it, pulling an Eli. And I swear Andrew Luck did this to us when he was thinking of entering the draft. But regardless, yes, I 100% believe they would. QBs just can't succeed here and if they do, they end up getting some career ending injury. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Xtreme said:

They were talking about this on the radio on my way home. They called it, pulling an Eli. And I swear Andrew Luck did this to us when he was thinking of entering the draft. But regardless, yes, I 100% believe they would. QBs just can't succeed here and if they do, they end up getting some career ending injury. 

Andrew Luck did in fact do this to us. He says he didn't but all know that's not true.

I don't understand all the feelings about the national takes on this team, btw.

Unfortunately the record speaks for itself. Other than a few bright spot seasons, this is a moribund franchise and every season is more likely than not that it's below .500. We STILL haven't had consecutive winning seasons in three decades. Our owner has a rep of being trash, we throw QBs away like nothing (including the best we ever had), we trade away franchise skill position players for nothing, we keep other pseudo-franchise skill position players too long (Chinn?). Even our outdated (but soon-to-be-lipsticked) stadium is too-often known as a home-away-from-home for many visiting teams. Just an absolute mess of franchise, but it can always change--ask the Saints, Bucs, Seahawks, and Pats.

Like someone else said in another thread, there's always a cellar dweller, now is our turn and the national media is treating us accordingly...But we true believers love our team anyway.

• Pie 1

Even more impressive to me is this: we played 2 teams who knew exactly how to play Bryce. They pressured every play and ran stunts. They stuffed the run, and he still had time to throw and guys were running open. He had a great pocket. Blind side pressure was well contained… holy poo. I even noticed people weren’t running completely free up the middle. 

When is the last time we have seen this? I’m telling y’all, the $$$ laid out on the line was the best use of resources this team has seen in years. Leadership. Guidance and teaching from high level dudes. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 3

12 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Even more impressive to me is this: we played 2 teams who knew exactly how to play Bryce. They pressured every play and ran stunts. They stuffed the run, and he still had time to throw and guys were running open. He had a great pocket. Blind side pressure was well contained… holy poo. I even noticed people weren’t running completely free up the middle. 

When is the last time we have seen this? I’m telling y’all, the $$$ laid out on the line was the best use of resources this team has seen in years. Leadership. Guidance and teaching from high level dudes. 

I agree.  I'm no football expert, but the OL has looked MILES better than in years past in both passing and the run game.  Hopefully the change to Dalton will force teams to play us differently, and allow us to see more of what Dave is trying to do.

As far as QBs avoiding the Panthers, I can see it for a couple, but the reality is that most of these dudes are extremely self-assured.  You have to be a successful NFL QB.  Look at Rodgers, Brady, etc.  Most of these young, cocky guys think they can come in and make it work.  Imagine the ego trip if they do manage to turn around a crap team?

So some QBs, maybe.  NIL has complicated it, but I think the desire to play/compete and get closer to the BIG money contract will prevent some players from holding out of a draft.

10 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

If so, I don't get it unless they just hate our owner/city. You'll have 1 of the better olines in the NFL with solid (possibly better) weapons.

Or you can go to a bears type team that has the kind of oline that will end your career in a hurry 

I think the point they're getting at in a beating around the bush way is that Tepper's Panthers are career killers and young QBs and other star players would be best to stay away.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1