• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Morgan

*FreeFua*

8 minutes ago, strato said:

You can't realistically evaluate Morgan on much because he was given a mandate.

Job one, two and three was Bryce support and evaluation. It distorted the vision of the way forward.

I didn't believe it took that to see what Young has. But I understand the thinking because you have to get Tepper off of him and that apparently is what it would take - that level of help and the same results from the QB.

Bottom line is you can't evaluate any of it until you remove Young from the equation and get back to NFL standards. 

Even his draft of players to surround Bryce with this past draft are looking horrible.  None of them pass the eye test of being difference makers so far.   Hopefully that will change but I wasn't a fan of the draft at all at the time and I'm still not.  Coker shows the most promise of any of our younger wr and he wasn't even drafted.

You shouldn't judge him by a move that all of his bosses wanted to happen. It wasn't his call and all we know is what has been said publicly. He affirmed his bosses' choice.

I really don't believe if Morgan had autonomy he would have come to that place on Young. The guy played in the league against legit QBs and probably took one look at Young and the opinions he was hearing and thought... "wow, really? This is what I am dealing with here?". 

Keep your gig or make a stand. My inability to do stuff like that, is why I never would have survived in the corporate suit world. But people do that all the time. 

19 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Even his draft of players to surround Bryce with this past draft are looking horrible.  None of them pass the eye test of being difference makers so far.   Hopefully that will change but I wasn't a fan of the draft at all at the time and I'm still not.  Coker shows the most promise of any of our younger wr and he wasn't even drafted.

I don't agree the offensive players were his choice, when his head coach has a total offensive background and given the situation.

I view it like... FA, Morgan's job on Offensive guys was probably the nuts and bolts, the mechanics of making the trade or deal or signing happen. Seeing if we could swing it, having discussions about it with Canales, Tilis, and Tepper too no doubt. 

He would have done the wheeling and dealing and turning the cards in to make those things happen. But would you ask him or would you ask Canales who is building the offense, to choose offensive players? I mean, Canales all the way for me.

Defensive players, Canales probably wouldn't overrule Morgan. Now, it was apparent that he was indulging Evero on some of those acquisitions. But isn't he sort of supposed to collaborate with the coaches in charge of that side of the ball? 

Wallace looked not too great yesterday but he was really thrown into a raging fire, so I am not out on him. But I was irritated and dismayed at his seeming lack of disappointment in the loss when I saw his postgame locker room minutes. 

I need to see things with Young out of the picture and not influencing every fuging decision. 

Edited by strato

22 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

XL looks horrible?

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

This year Jewell. We can’t even cut him this offseason. 

Dan Morgan wanted Bryce Young. 

So he wanted to see this through as well. Like you said, it was clear as day last year that Bryce isn’t an NFL QB. What progress did we make this past offseason? We found 2 guards. That’s literally the ONLY thing Dan can hang his hat on for an entire offseason worth of work

I thought the Dionte trade was really good, the MJ pickup at corner looks really good to me. Not sure what else to ask from our CBs when we have 0 pressure on the QB. A’Shawn Robinson looks good, Clowney at $10M a year is not bad etc. But it sounds like we look at it very differently. DB getting injured was a rough one that really sunk the D imo

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Martin said:

I thought the Dionte trade was really good, the MJ pickup at corner looks really good to me. Not sure what else to ask from our CBs when we have 0 pressure on the QB. A’Shawn Robinson looks good, Clowney at $10M a year is not bad etc. But it sounds like we look at it very differently. DB getting injured was a rough one that really sunk the D imo

Agreed - Wonnum @ $6M could be outstanding.  People crying about Jewell but the man is the 47th highest paid LB....experience in the system and leadership at only $6M?  I'll take it.  Nijman should be a good one also for depth and Jordan Fuller is solid.  I really don't understand any Morgan hate at this point.  This BS about Frazier over Brooks is only because Brooks hasn't played yet.  If he comes in and looks like a top 10 RB like most people expect there won't be any reasonable complaints.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, electro's horse said:

XL looks horrible?

I think xl looks exactly like i thought he would before the draft.   No separation and limited route tree.  The drops and body catching have been a bit of a surprise.   I wouldn't say he's looked horrible.  I will sau he hasn't done anything to ease my concerns.  I also think Coker looked better with less opportunities 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I think xl looks exactly like i thought he would before the draft.   No separation and limited route tree.  The drops and body catching have been a bit of a surprise.   I wouldn't say he's looked horrible.  I will sau he hasn't done anything to ease my concerns.  I also think Coker looked better with less opportunities 

I looked at the 1st through 3rd round WR's. There were 16 taken overall, three have missed all games due to injury. Of the remaining 13, XL is ranked 10th in PFF ratings of the group(90th in the NFL overall). He is the second lowest rated(non-injured) 1st round WR behind Rome Odunze(95th rated in the NFL overall). Five receivers taken in the 2nd or 3rd round are higher rated PFF players.

So he is basically playing like a 3rd round pick.

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Agreed - Wonnum @ $6M could be outstanding.  People crying about Jewell but the man is the 47th highest paid LB....experience in the system and leadership at only $6M?  I'll take it.  Nijman should be a good one also for depth and Jordan Fuller is solid.  I really don't understand any Morgan hate at this point.  This BS about Frazier over Brooks is only because Brooks hasn't played yet.  If he comes in and looks like a top 10 RB like most people expect there won't be any reasonable complaints.

lol Wonnum at 6m “could be outstanding”? It’s week 6 now and he still hasn’t played. Wonnum will be cut this offseason. There is no “could be” about it anymore. It was a bad signing 

A large majority of us wanted Frazier over Brooks at the time of the draft. No one expects him to be a top 10 back. Especially if the middle of our IOL is sh!t. Corbett is a FA after this season and we just spend a fortune on 2 guards… drafting a stud center in the 2nd round on a rookie deal for the next 4 seasons was a damn gift sitting there for the talking. Instead Morgan opted to spend more resources on a running back… talk about stupid 

Our cap situation is awful. And will be again this offseason. Morgan needed to sit on his hands and not hand out useless contracts just to because. This team was once again not winning the Super Bowl this year or next yet they continued to operate like they HAD to fill holes. This defense was always going to be bad and guys like Jewell, Robinson, Clowney, Fuller, Scott weren’t changing that. We were always going to be bad this year the least they could’ve done is cleaned up some of the cap mess. Morgan went on a cutting spree and then proceeded to sign a bunch of guys similar to the ones he had just cut. So now we’re eating a crap load of dead money and paying new guys to produce the same results 

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 2

12 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

lol Wonnum at 6m “could be outstanding”? It’s week 6 now and he still hasn’t played. Wonnum will be cut this offseason. There is no “could be” about it anymore. It was a bad signing 

A large majority of us wanted Frazier over Brooks at the time of the draft. No one expects him to be a top 10 back. Especially if the middle of our IOL is sh!t. Corbett is a FA after this season and we just spend a fortune on 2 guards… drafting a stud center in the 2nd round on a rookie deal for the next 4 seasons was a damn gift sitting there for the talking. Instead Morgan opted to spend more resources on a running back… talk about stupid 

Our cap situation is awful. And will be again this offseason. Morgan needed to sit on his hands and not hand out useless contracts just to because. This team was once again not winning the Super Bowl this year or next yet they continued to operate like they HAD to fill holes. This defense was always going to be bad and guys like Jewell, Robinson, Clowney, Fuller, Scott weren’t changing that. We were always going to be bad this year the least they could’ve done is cleaned up some of the cap mess. Morgan went on a cutting spree and then proceeded to sign a bunch of guys similar to the ones he had just cut. So now we’re eating a crap load of dead money and paying new guys to produce the same results 

This for the last 4 years at least. Rinse cycle and repeat

• Beer 1

He needs more time. Look at this- he claimed 6 players at cut day(only three remain), that tells you hes not happy with the roster. 

His FA class is playing well enough - hunt, lewis, and robinson with some misses

Hes made around 4 trades-

id take the 2nd 5th carolina package over paying BB

barrent for a starting well playing #2 CB mike jackson

rams 2025 2nd and 2024 2nd for panthers later 2nd pick.

Djohnson and 7th for djack and 6th

I'd say all of those favor the panthers currently. 

Draft class is too young to judge, even if I said he didnt land a starter on the weakest roster.

This team plain sucks, there is no strength besides one player in dbrown. You cannot suddenly fix that in just one off-season. Until the cobrett injury he had fixed the OL. He tried to add weapons in brooks, sanders, johnson, and XL. He added players that fix everos D. He sure did try if you go by one off-season. Results, sure any team that traded prime picks and top 20 WR for BY will still suck. 

Even if he hits on many decisions it will take nearly 3 full seasons to get to average team levels. 

• Beer 1