• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Morgan

*FreeFua*

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

I’ll give him credit for Robert Hunt and Damien Lewis as the early returns on these signings look good

However, besides those two it was a lot more of the same crap we’ve seen in recent years which should come as no surprise since Dan was here for that mess 

His solution to the WR problem: trade for a WR2 and claim he’s a WR1

his solution to the edge problem: Sign DJ Wonnum and Clowney. Luckily Wonnum can be cut after this year to save 7.5 million in cap space.

Then in full Marty Hurney style, Dan spent a 2nd round pick on a running back coming off an ACL injury when we had much bigger needs that this draft class meshed well with. 

Continuing the Hurney trend, Dan went out and signed Josey Jewell to an awful contract that makes it impossible to cut him until 2026. Unless they want to eat 6.6 million in dead cap while saving less than 1 million in cap. Dan then spent a 3rd round pick on a linebacker. Dan also spent a 7th round pick on a linebacker as well. Not only does the Jewell contract eat up cap but it keeps our 3rd rounder on the bench.

It’s only been 2 games and Brooks wasn’t expected to play but on Sunday we got a combined 19 snaps from our draft picks in rounds 1-3 on a roster that needed starters so badly. 

This defense was never going to be good this year but spending money we absolutely did not have just kicked the can down the road for another season. These useless signings forced a restructure of another terrible contract in Shy Tuttle. 

So on top of having a brain dead owner we have another clueless GM…

Fun times

I've never gotten the huge pass he got for being Fitterer's right hand man the entire time.  He seems to have the exact same eye for talent.  This draft felt exactly like the previous few years of awful drafts.  Draft old "raw" players with some physical traits that fit dated old systems or old positional values.  He wants to build a team that would work when he played.  That doesn't work anymore.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

I didn’t mind the draft and FA overall, but I do feel we could have navigated the draft a bit better. I just have a different approach to how I would have built the WR room.

Cant stand how much we jeep avoiding the multi-positional types with short area quickness - this draft had Ladd, Polk, McMillan, etc.  Last year passed on Reed, Rice and Dell to name a few for Mingo.

Still an elephant in the room, it’s forever been an elephant in the room.

• Beer 1

47 minutes ago, rodeo said:

on at least one of his sacks this Sunday he had left the pocket to try to create something and the WRs never even looked back at him and just continued their routes.

At this point who can blame them? That's all he does and it doesn't work more often than not.

It's already been discussed but the GB game that's been widely used to defend him he spent the majority of the time standing in the pocket and delivering strikes. This bailing out of the pocket thing will never work for him in the NFL. He's not built for it.

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Unicorn kind of implies there's something magical that comes along with the uniqueness.  I know what you mean but there's gotta be a better word here lol.

The opposite of a unicorn is a basilisk I think. Poisonous and turns things to stone. Baby yaga also fits. 

I feel like the WR is Canales domain. I think Dan probably works with both Canales and Evero to get what they want. 

Add in the spare no expense to support Bryce Young, things are geared towards that and Evero gets only scraps and hand me downs and players outside of the 1st and 2nd rounds. 

Damage is done now, but with better quarterback play they can maybe invest in the defense this next offseason. 

I can go for the line building. O line. Big. Mean. Built for the eventual successor to Bryce. He knew, as did everyone that Bryce wasn’t him. Very expensive pieces, but I appreciate the ‘it’s time to stop screwing around’ intention. We’ve been begging for it and knew it would be expensive. We would need to hit on 2 pieces in the same draft for the o line to improve… not happening with our history. 

Defense additions… still yet to see to me. Bryce was about as demotivating as it gets. Contracts weren’t great. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Waldo said:

I'm not sure going out and buying the most expensive OGs at top market prices was the best move. Especially if your QB doesn't play in the pocket and a HC that doesn't run enough.

Some of the hype has already popped from his moves for sure.

early returns are that the panthers have one of the better pass blocking lines in the league. that's never a bad thing, regardless of who the passer is, and I'd argue there isn't a better place to put money given the state of the qb he inherited and the questions surrounding him.

Now he's got Andy, who is league average but can actually complete the route tree, so we'll see what happens. 

again, it's early, and I don't know if anyone is following the giants, but letting burns leave is looking like the right move and he's being devoured by the media up there. 

brooks was Literally That Good at Texas and let's see how he plays before we judge it.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

early returns are that the panthers have one of the better pass blocking lines in the league. that's never a bad thing, regardless of who the passer is, and I'd argue there isn't a better place to put money given the state of the qb he inherited and the questions surrounding him.

Now he's got Andy, who is league average but can actually complete the route tree, so we'll see what happens. 

again, it's early, and I don't know if anyone is following the giants, but letting burns leave is looking like the right move and he's being devoured by the media up there. 

brooks was Literally That Good at Texas and let's see how he plays before we judge it.

They could have saved some cap for other positions and still upgraded from poo to good. Everyone knew we needed OGs but going out and buying the most expensive options did not help Young and the D sure needs some of that money. 

Now they can't go out and spend on a free agent next year at QB that isn't a prove it deal and will probably have to roll with another rookie QB with the cap they put into the oline.