• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RUMOR: Bryce Young 'pissed' at being benched for Andy Dalton

FutureDynasty

1 minute ago, HardcoreHokie said:

This is my thing.  I thought all NFL players had to hit the weight room in the offseason, develop a nutrition plan, etc.  Even when Bryce was at Alabama, I've been unable to find any strength-training info on Bryce.

No forty time recorded EVER, no squat or bench estimates.

People compare his height to Kyler Murray, but Kyler Murray is freakin' JACKED at that height.  Jalen Hurts is also short but he squats 600 POUNDS.

I really want someone to ask Saban or the Panthers S&C coaches about Bryce's weight-room habits.  

He was playing video games all summer, did he LIFT or THROW or anything? 

This is what Bryce said on the Panthers website in January: 

"I haven't really had that time to reflect (yet) and to do that self scout," Young said Monday. "I'll definitely sit down, I'll watch every snap, go through it, chart things, figure out strengths and weaknesses, all that stuff. I don't wanna just say something random and it not be the truth. But, I'll know when I get a chance to do that."

Let's break that down:

• "I haven't really had that time to reflect (yet) and to do that self scout,"  (Yes you have.  Every week you have watched film and if you watched it properly, you reflected.  That reflection takes you into the weight room, team meetings, playbook, film room with a position coach, etc.  This is a cop out, imo.  He is dodging the question/issue.
  • "I'll definitely sit down, I'll watch every snap, go through it, chart things, figure out strengths and weaknesses, all that stuff."  This is very ambiguous. Go through WHAT?  Chart WHAT?  WHAT stuff?  Understand that Bryce has already watched every snap and he should already know his weaknesses and strengths.  If the topic is the offseason workout program, THAT is what he should be planning.  He should already know the other stuff.  Is it up to Bryce to figure out his weaknesses?  Is nobody coaching him?
  • "I don't wanna just say something random and it not be the truth."  To me, this is the most interesting statement.  This suggests that he is being evasive and there is a separation between what he is willing to share with the press and what he is going to do about it.  The season is over and he is not ready to commit to his strategy over the offseason to improve.  Does he know his habits and does he know that he will not be doing what the fans and coaches want him to do?  Does he mean, "I don't want to say something now, not do it, and then be held accountable later?"
  • I'll know when I get a chance to do that."  Again, an evasive answer.  After a 2-15 season, knowing what the franchise gave up to draft you #1 overall, would a leader leave the building by making statements like this? 

Obviously it is difficult to psychoanalyze someone by pulling quotes from an interview, but I can say that I am familiar with leadership styles and effective strategies.  I taught doctoral courses in organizational leadership at Gardner-Webb a few years ago, and we would take statements from leaders following a crisis and analyze them in groups or round-table discussions.  What I see here is evasive and rather narcissistic.  I do not mean egotistical, but the focus is on the self.  There is no mention of seeking input from others.  No vision of what it is going to take to turn it around, and there is seemingly little empathy for his followers' hardships and needs.  I also see a failure to commit to doing what he knows must be done, as if he has been successful without doing what other successful people do.  He is a polite victim of his own shortcomings and seems to have no idea what he is going to do about it.  That is my take, and often these takes prove to be wrong, fwiw.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 5

42 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Ha ha.  He has more than one problem, but if it makes you feel better, being your size can be an advantage.  I mean, when it rains, you are the last to get wet.  (I am an optimist)

I'm perfectly average in stature for a human male. Just not for an NFL player.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Bryce is bad no disagreement on that.

Stay with me. You telling me if Bryce goes to a better roster like Miami or San Francisco he wouldn't improve automatically just because of the talent around him?

Lets be fair this roster is bad. We aren't exactly the best place for any QB as of late. I'm trying to be fair. But it seems like Bryce is getting most of the blame on this board. He deserves some, but the majority is without a doubt Tepper.

There is no Bryce without Tepper remember that.

Brother we've been talking for months about how Tepper pushed for the trade up and for Bryce Young over Stroud idk what you're seeing to the contrary.

Accurately describing what Bryce Young looks like as an NFL QB and the fact we need to start Andy Dalton ≠ giving David Tepper a pass for being a meddling dumb ass. It's just acknowledging the reality of the situation we find ourselves in.

Anyways as far as what he might or might not do elsewhere I can't say no one can. As of right now beyond the glaring elephant in the room that is his lack of physical tools and size is the issue that he has absolutely not lived up to the billing of being a superprocessor or mini Peyton Manning or mental savant out there on the field.

Even Sam Darnold with all his physical tools went to San Francisco and left town a failure. Keep that in mind.

• Beer 3

10 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

He just looks like he doesn't want to be here....

Yeah, I was wondering what "pissed" would translate to. Angry and determined, or bitter and mopey. That looks 100% like the latter. So yeah, now I'm back on board with trade him for whatever you can get. Don't need to make the locker room uncomfortable and bring everyone down with negativity.

• Beer 1

52 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

And here we go. 

You do not know that--if you can't read a defense, that would be under the "knowledge" category. Do you see evidence that he was reading defenses, either pre or post snap?  I don't. Blitzes, coverages, matchups--I don't see it. I agree that he is shell shocked, but there is also a point when being "shell shocked" (a temporary condition) becomes complex trauma. The rest of your post is you putting words in my mouth--never said "all it takes was recognition and S2", for example. 

I watched some more of the 1st half last night to check something and he stared that int down the whole way, and has been doing that. 

16 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Bryce is bad no disagreement on that.

Stay with me. You telling me if Bryce goes to a better roster like Miami or San Francisco he wouldn't improve automatically just because of the talent around him?

Considering the offensive talent around him improved this off season and he responded by putting up back to back career and historically bad QB performances, I’m gonna go ahead and say that’s far from automatic. 

Dont get me wrong, Tep is dreadful and I wish he’d sell the team or entirely remove himself from the football side of things, but I think the org bares responsibility for the situation they brought him into last year, but his play this year is purely on him. If he showed any progress whatsoever, like at ALL, he would still be starting

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1