• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RUMOR: Bryce Young 'pissed' at being benched for Andy Dalton

FutureDynasty

"Anyone can lead 95% of the time. It is what a person does during that 5% that separates him from the others as a leader."  ---Warren Bennis  On Becoming a Leader (paraphrased from memory)

Going onto the field is actually only about 5% of being an NFL QB. The 95% is related to physical and mental preparation, building relationships, promoting the team, etc.  In fairness, at 23 I was a young turd and would have failed miserably as an NFL QB.  I am a much older turd now, and I think it would be difficult at any age.  However, I will still analyze Bryce in terms of leadership skills, because I think that is where he fails more than a person who is short and trying to throw the ball to guys wearing the same color shirts.

He is not an Alpha.  The best QBs are, for the most part.  Most that bust were not.  Reason?  When the OL is battling against oversized athletic freaks every play, when the WRs are running 20-30 yards every play to get open, when the RBs are plowing into LBs and getting hammered by DBs every play, they need the only person talking in the huddle to be an Alpha.  Inspiring, confidence building, and an example.

When things don't go well, he pouts. He is a good kid, but aren't we all when we have what we want?    When he comes off the field, he stands staring in a daze.  He is not with the coach or Dalton looking at the plays on tablets, picking their brains.  He is not even watching the game.  If I were his coach, I would have his ass beside me and his nose buried in my tablet, so it is possible the leader's leadership is absent.

A leader takes over when the group is challenged.  A great QB wants the challenge and gets better during those times.  A weak leaders disappears when opportunity to demonstrate leadership presents itself.

A leader reflects.  I have read that Bryce was "shocked" and now "pissed" and that makes me "shocked" and "pissed."  It is a time when he should have demonstrated humility.  Knowing what is best for the team when what is best for the team is not you is part of leadership within the 5%.  This could be painfully motivational, but that is not how he reacted.  It was not a healthy reaction.

Not only is he not an Alpha, and not only is he not a "dawg," he needs to be an "underdawg" and he is not.  He is small and his physical skills are limited.  He needs to develop a chip on his shoulder--a Napoleonic complex--to demonstrate that he can overcome his shortcomings (height, weight, arm strength) with preparation, his brain, and determination.  He needs to be accurate if not overpowering, and he should have spent the offseason in the film room, learning to read defenses.  You may have weaknesses in some areas beyond your control, so a real leader offsets this by becoming elite in the areas he can control.

Summary:  I thought Bryce was going to be elite in reading defenses and accuracy.  He is one of the worst in these areas--a 5'9" 180 lb qb with poor accuracy, tunnel vision, and dispositional issues is how I conclude with this:  "How did he win 2 games in the NFL?  Defense mainly. His only wins were by scores of 15-13 and 9-7. 

INTERESTING STATS : In 2023, Andy Dalton had one start, and he threw for more yards (361) that game than Bryce would throw in any of the other 16 games.  In fact, Bryce only had 1 300=yard game vs. Green Bay week 15--and he would surpass 200 yards in only 5 of the 16 games he played.  The Panthers scored 27 points that game on the road at Seattle when Dalton was the QB.  Bryce, in 16 games, surpassed 27 points once in sixteen games.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, pantherdad said:

LeBron, shut the fug up

IMG_0912.jpeg

"This ain't on you"...

"Continue to put the work in"...

Just what an entitled 23 year old that's always played on the best teams with the best talent from around the country until now needs to hear.

If he actually had any knowledge of the situation he would know that's part of the issue.

• Pie 4

25 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

I get that, but all of the analyst and talking heads are saying that we are the problem! My hope is there is a GM that feels the same way and is dumb with his draft picks.

All those same analysts and talking heads completely ignored all the glaring red flags about Bryce leading up to the draft. Their egos won't allow them to admit that they were just flat out wildly wrong.

• Pie 3

Canales overemphasized getting the ball out quick after week 1 which Bryce certainly did week 2, which is not going to be an effective offense with these lead feet receivers. Gameplan should have changed at halftime if it did not. Bryce missed a lot of short throws anyway but it’s still a pathetic offense even if the completions were made.

Bryce is probably saying he did exactly what Canales told him to do

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

All those same analysts and talking heads completely ignored all the glaring red flags about Bryce leading up to the draft. Their egos won't allow them to admit that they were just flat out wildly wrong.

Dalton played 1 game last season and he had 367 yards and the team scored 27 points.  Bryce has played 18 games since last year and has only had 1 game that is comparable to Dalton's single outing.  In Bryce's last 4 games we have been outscored 108-13--and he is PISSED for getting benched?  His passing yardage during those games:  112, 94, 161, 84.  During those 16 quarters of football, we scored one TD, two field goals.  That is a good quarter for most teams. SHOCKED?  PISSED?  I think we identified Bryce's dispositional issue--entitlement.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 7

I am not in the habit of defending Young but hold up. 

I read that trash article. There are some very foolish statements made by some of these tweeters, and many of the rest are just not made with the truth uppermost in mind. 
There are big agendas there. 

Same defense as usual when these meatheads spring into outrage mode, is there a single first hand quote from Bryce? 

Because  if not, it may be misinformed bullshit just like many tweets and most of that article  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No. If Bryce continues to suck it'll be because we ruined him. Under no circumstances were they just flat out wrong 

That’s why Kiper was so fired up, he talked up Young all the way until we picked him, he’d look silly if he were this wrong. Kinda like he was with Clausen…

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1