• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RUMOR: Bryce Young 'pissed' at being benched for Andy Dalton

FutureDynasty

29 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Whoever Said we trade him in off season,  im bumping that up to by the deadline. 

Honest question, who would even want to trade for him at this point?  Would you give up a 7th round pick for him?  I sure wouldn’t, I know he’s a certified bust, at least there’s that chance of the 7th round pick selection turning into a good surprise. 

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

I know he's been playing bad for awhile, but that stat almost made me jump out of my seat! I had to go to https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounBr01/gamelog/2023/ to see that with my own eyes. Wow!

I knew we had only scored 13 points in out last four games dating back to last season. I knew about the inability to convert on 3rd down (1 in each game this season). But, Bryce has only thrown 2 TDs since Nov 19th! 

He's lucky he wasn't benched at the end of last season.

He's lucky he ever saw the field at all. Once he was drafted the damage was done but he should of been handled more like Lance in San Fran. You cant beat Dalton/Garoppolo in practice? You don't start.

He was gonna bust either way but at least we could of gotten a 3rd or 4th if no one had seen him play.

• Pie 2

For all the context:

The Panthers sent shockwaves through the league with the benching of Bryce Young. Here's what I know about the situation after asking around. First, Young was not only shocked by the decision but also upset. "He's pissed," a source said, citing the vision of the new Panthers offense being ripped apart after two games. And that's understandable, given the quick hook. But the decision goes beyond the poor play through two games. The Panthers saw a tentative quarterback whose confidence was clearly affected. The receivers were growing frustrated. So the Panthers weighed this question: Can they wait for Young's confidence to return or will the continued poor play of the offense risk losing the team?

The locker room is still invested in coach Dave Canales and his new staff, so making the best decision for the players inside of it was crucial. Carolina's defense is not the same as in past years (it's considered far less talented), so the offense can't lean on it as it once did. And Andy Dalton was simply the better option at this stage. Players see it all through the course of spring practices to now. They know who should be playing. Dalton has veteran leadership that Carolina feels it needs right now. Even though the offense is not loaded with talent, the Panthers feel as if the receivers are at least getting open enough for NFL standards, and that Dalton can hit them.

Fiery is not Young's style. And while his poise was considered a strength coming out of Alabama and still can be one, his calm demeanor can be portrayed by some as a lack of urgency -- which can be tough for a young team finding its way. All of this brought Carolina to an axiom that's largely true in sports: Decisions that will be made eventually should be made now. The Panthers couldn't afford the growing pains at this stage.

I don't get the sense Carolina plans to trade him right now. Benchings rarely result in healthy second chances at that spot, but he now commands the role of developmental quarterback. Dalton is 36. He has been fairly durable but has fought through his share of injuries. In the short term, I expect the Panthers will try to help Young rebuild his confidence in the event Dalton struggles or is injured. Young is No. 2 on the depth chart with no one behind him at this point. Carolina believes he still has enough talent to be productive in the NFL. And some of the early signs of 2024 were promising, with his ability to make plays off play-action in the spring, picking up the concepts of the offense and showing the maturity to take easy completions when there.

Still, the issues that resulted in the benching, that bubbled under the surface for a while, might make it tough for both parties to coexist eventually, depending on how Young improves his game behind the scenes.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

ok…

Maybe this will fuel him to get better. I don’t see it, though. 

Either way, I’ll be glad when he’s gone, and some other team’s problem. Whenever and wherever he gets his next shot; hope he makes the most of it. 

Canada would be a good option.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1