• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panther's Negative PR Avoidance Option

thennek

The decision to put BY in timeout is the right one for a number of reasons already discussed.  I actually think it is best for the team, but also the best for BY.  However, it seems like it has become a very negative distraction for the Panthers.  You cannot listen to any sports show without the pontificators giving their opinions on how the Panthers are a terrible team and all the negative stuff around the decision.  This absolutely cannot be helping the team.  

My question is this:  Why didn't Canales just announce that BY woke up with some soreness in his shoulder and we feel it is best to sit him this week against the Raiders?  It would have avoided all of this negative PR and allowed the team to focus on the Raiders.  Reich pretty much did this last year against Seattle with the phantom ankle injury.  This would have taken the national spotlight off this and the media firestorm.  The Panthers go into LV with Andy and if he plays well, then you just stay with the 'hot-hand'.  Why make such a big 'announcement' that we are 'benching BY'?

2 minutes ago, thennek said:

The decision to put BY in timeout is the right one for a number of reasons already discussed.  I actually think it is best for the team, but also the best for BY.  However, it seems like it has become a very negative distraction for the Panthers.  You cannot listen to any sports show without the pontificators giving their opinions on how the Panthers are a terrible team and all the negative stuff around the decision.  This absolutely cannot be helping the team.  

My question is this:  Why didn't Canales just announce that BY woke up with some soreness in his shoulder and we feel it is best to sit him this week against the Raiders?  It would have avoided all of this negative PR and allowed the team to focus on the Raiders.  Reich pretty much did this last year against Seattle with the phantom ankle injury.  This would have taken the national spotlight off this and the media firestorm.  The Panthers go into LV with Andy and if he plays well, then you just stay with the 'hot-hand'.  Why make such a big 'announcement' that we are 'benching BY'?

Because that's dishonest and the team would see right through it. Don't BS your players. It also sends a message of "Anyone is replaceable if they don't produce, even the supposed franchise QB." New regime is a meritocracy as opposed to Rhule's OOU BS.

• Flames 1

The media coverage of this is typical and almost certainly related to a few traits of Bryce’s:

1. He went to Alabama

2. Everyone said that he was a wunderkind and could overcome every physical limitation if he just put his mind to it. This is an epitome of the lie adults told kids throughout the 80’s, 90’s, and 2000’s which is that you can overcome any obstacle, no matter your physical limitations. They wanted this to be true so badly but it turns out, sometimes effort and desire aren’t enough. 

3. They say the Panthers didn’t put pieces around him. Bryce has a Top 5 offensive line in front of him right now, he has Diontae Johnson, he has Theilen, two high draft pick receivers, Miles Sanders and Chubba Hubbard, a head coach hired specifically for him, yet he’s been worse. 

I poo on the Panthers organizationally as much as the next person, but there is not a lack of talent on offense as they make it seem. It is set-up that a young QB could thrive here, and should thrive. 

4.The Panthers PR strategy is simple right now and that is just to stay quiet. The time for talking is after the year when we trade him. Then you can detail what is/was wrong. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, thennek said:

The team is damned if they do, damned if they don’t at this point. How many people here would be losing their minds if they did this - it would be everyone rushing to say that Tepper is ordering this to coddle his pet and never let him take the blame for subpar play.  

Edited by X-Clown
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

The team is damned if they do, damned if they don’t at this point. How many people here would be losing their minds if they did this - it would be everyone rushing to say that Tepper is ordering this to coddle his pet and never let him take the blame for subpar play.  

I mean, I think it actually plays better from a PR perspective if the HC said...

look, clearly we haven't setup Bryce up well for success organizationally.   3 HCs, 3 playcallers, 3 Os, new folks at every spot as the norm around him.  ......so we are going to hit the reset button a little and give him a break to take in this new O and all that entails.   No time table on how long that is but we want to setup him up to be successful long term.  Then you can just quietly go about trading him and starting over. 

I think that plays much different.  Instead, they just look reactionary and more importantly, visionless and planless. 

Just 2 completely different situations. Last year Bryce probably had a real ankle injury and while he looked overwhelmed, he was still making a couple plays here and there so giving him a week off to rest his ankle and see how Andy preps and plays was good for him. 

This year however Bryce has looked like the WORST QB TO EVER TAKE A SNAP FOR THIS FRANCHISE. If Bryce is ever gonna work out as an NFL QB, he needed to be benched to show him and the rest of the team that no matter who you are if you aren't playing to the standard set by the team then you will be gone. As my grandmother says this is Bryce's "coming to Jesus moment". 

There's 2 ways this can go. Number 1 is that Bryce sits and pouts like a spoiled child who is upset that he got grounded and gets traded or released in the offseason or Number 2 this situation brings out the DAWG in Bryce and he comes out with that confidence we saw at Alabama. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I mean, I think it actually plays better from a PR perspective if the HC said...

look, clearly we haven't setup Bryce up well for success organizationally.   3 HCs, 3 playcallers, 3 Os, new folks at every spot as the norm around him.  ......so we are going to hit the reset button a little and give him a break to take in this new O and all that entails.   No time table on how long that is but we want to setup him up to be successful long term.  Then you can just quietly go about trading him and starting over. 

I think that plays much different.  Instead, they just look reactionary and more importantly, visionless and planless. 

I agree with this as well.  Just seems like how it was presented opened up the negative firestorm.  When questioned Canales had no other direction other than 'Andy gives us the best chance to win'.  I think it could have been handled differently.  It is all on how you word it.  

13 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

The media coverage of this is typical and almost certainly related to a few traits of Bryce’s:

1. He went to Alabama

2. Everyone said that he was a wunderkind and could overcome every physical limitation if he just put his mind to it. This is an epitome of the lie adults told kids throughout the 80’s, 90’s, and 2000’s which is that you can overcome any obstacle, no matter your physical limitations. They wanted this to be true so badly but it turns out, sometimes effort and desire aren’t enough. 

3. They say the Panthers didn’t put pieces around him. Bryce has a Top 5 offensive line in front of him right now, he has Diontae Johnson, he has Theilen, two high draft pick receivers, Miles Sanders and Chubba Hubbard, a head coach hired specifically for him, yet he’s been worse. 

I poo on the Panthers organizationally as much as the next person, but there is not a lack of talent on offense as they make it seem. It is set-up that a young QB could thrive here, and should thrive. 

4.The Panthers PR strategy is simple right now and that is just to stay quiet. The time for talking is after the year when we trade him. Then you can detail what is/was wrong. 

This 100 percent. Tepper is a terrible owner and has made terrible decisions and seats have been putrid. However I do find it funny that there are all these media outlets defending Bryce. He is not an NFL QB and would be shocked if he’s in the league 2 years from now 

• Pie 1

There was a lot going on behind the scenes last year. Frank might have had to liea little bit to get the benching he wanted last year, even if it was for 1 game. To fake an injury you also have to get the player on board or it will blow up in your face. Young was most likely not 100% in that one game.

This year the staff appears way more collaborative. Not better but less knives....so far.

12 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

Just 2 completely different situations. Last year Bryce probably had a real ankle injury and while he looked overwhelmed, he was still making a couple plays here and there so giving him a week off to rest his ankle and see how Andy preps and plays was good for him. 

This year however Bryce has looked like the WORST QB TO EVER TAKE A SNAP FOR THIS FRANCHISE. If Bryce is ever gonna work out as an NFL QB, he needed to be benched to show him and the rest of the team that no matter who you are if you aren't playing to the standard set by the team then you will be gone. As my grandmother says this is Bryce's "coming to Jesus moment". 

There's 2 ways this can go. Number 1 is that Bryce sits and pouts like a spoiled child who is upset that he got grounded and gets traded or released in the offseason or Number 2 this situation brings out the DAWG in Bryce and he comes out with that confidence we saw at Alabama. 

Seems like that's what he is doing

• Pie 1

This decision is not about beating the Raiders, this decision is about getting the QB room right and also about keeping the locker going in the right direction. This is a good move by our coaching staff and finally showed some competence from a team that has not displayed much know how over the past 6-7 years.

• Beer 1