• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My 55" HD TV picture now looks like it's trying to be 3-D

dimbee

I have a 55" Mitsubishi WS-55511 1080 HD TV that I originally bought back in 2004 - yes, it's got some wear on its treads. Well, yesterday I turn on the toob and instead of my crisp HD picture, I have a picture that looks like my TV is trying to display in 3-D. Meaning, the red and blue convergence are way off- specifically, the red is WAY off. It almost looks like a red sheet had been hanging in front of my TV but the top left corner has fallen down and is just clumping in the middle of my screen. Sweet. Super duper. I google it and come to determine it's the integrated circuit inside the TV for the red/blue/green convergence. It's caput. I look around and most places are quoting $350-500 to diagnose and repair it. Fug that! I delve a bit deeper and find that I can order these parts myself. I can get the IC for only $20 online! So, I have that on the way, next day delivery, total fee: $30. Also found a step by step walkthrough (with pictures) online for how to replace the IC. It looks straightforward enough.

So, basically, I'm paying $30 and a little bit of time to fix my TV which would have cost $500 at a shop. $470 for labor?? Please. Go fug yourself.

I'll let y'all know my results.

:cool:

Dimbee...before you start. Take before pics. Model Number. Go step by step on how you do this and record the tough spots with a camera. If it then works you do after pics.

Might be able to sell your repair video if you PW protect it and advertise on avsforums.com

Why fight it, find some 3d glasses and some LSD and enjoy.

It's funny you mention that. One of my son's movies- Sharkboy and Lava Girl came with the red/blue old school 3d glasses. So I threw a pair on, and.... it didn't do poo. I did find, though, that by closing the eye that looks through the red lense and only peer through the blue one, it removes the red convergence problem! :lol:

Dimbee...before you start. Take before pics. Model Number. Go step by step on how you do this and record the tough spots with a camera. If it then works you do after pics.

Might be able to sell your repair video if you PW protect it and advertise on avsforums.com

Good advice! Anytime I'm doing any kind of DIY with electronics, I photograph the whole process - I learned that from my dad the electrical engineer. ;)

Archived