• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In retrospect, maybe Canales knew

Manna

When he was hired, Canales said he was excited to work with a number one overall pick. Maybe he forgot that Baker was #1 overall as well? But it sounded more like he was excited to work with Bryce. 

Once OTAs started he said that being new he wasn't emotionally tied to anyone and that he can make objective decisions.

During camp Morgan (and maybe Canales as well) stated that this was a big man's game when talking about the team.

Around the time of the second preseason game, Canales stated that he was hoping Dalton would be ready to play so that they can properly evaluate the guys. 

I think knowing that Bryce did not have the tools to succeed in his offense or NFL is what led to him not playing Bryce and "hiding" him until the third preseason game. 

The guy has an outside perspective on Bryce as an opponent. Then he gets to know Bryce as coach and QB. Somewhere along the way he realized that what he saw on tape and what he saw on the practice field day in and day out, that there was no progression, that Bryce had hit his ceiling. Like many of us fans, Canales wasn't basing his decision to bench Bryce off a 2-game performance. This was based on 18 games. 

Bryce may have the durability to take hits but his height matters. He didn't regress nor did he lose his confidence. We've seen the same Bryce since September 10th, 2023. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Anyone with eyes could see that Bryce wasn't it and I honestly think the seeming commitment to Bryce from Tepper combined with a seasoned coach getting fired mid-season largely because of the ineffectiveness of Bryce severely limited our candidate pool. The job was likely viewed as a career suicide mission by most. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

Wow, I was so disconnected from training camp that I didn't even realize Andy Dalton had a quad injury.  Hopefully it isn't one of those things that spills over into the regular season.

It's why Jack Plummer played so much in preseason.  Andy was hurt.

• Pie 1

I think Canales also said yesterday in his presser that he wanted guys who loved football. 

I didn't know until yesterday that Bryce spent his offseason playing games and watching Netflix, and distancing himself from all-things football. That is a huge indicator of where his heart is. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's why Jack Plummer played so much in preseason.  Andy was hurt.

I'm pretty concerned that it could flare up again.  He's 36 and hasn't played much football lately.  We've seen how these minor injuries in training camp can easily spill over into the regular season.  Definitely something to keep an eye on and I don't expect Dalton to move around much early on.

Will be interesting to see how the Raiders attack us.  

• Beer 1

To talk about dawgs and then not bring in a sneaky #3 option is ironic now. Bryce is who he always has been and it took 1 throw to take all the air out of his sails this year. He is broken because he knows it's him and trying to blame anyone else is futile. I don't see him having a Baker or Darnold resurgence. 

It's a crappy spot for everyone so I would be happy to see him shipped off somewhere for anything. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

I'm pretty concerned that it could flare up again.  He's 36 and hasn't played much football lately.  We've seen how these minor injuries in training camp can easily spill over into the regular season.  Definitely something to keep an eye on and I don't expect Dalton to move around much early on.

We should have upgraded that position because Dalton does not have a lot left even at 100% healthy. 

Thankfully the line should help him and DC had better run the ball. 

Just now, Mage said:

Dalton will be lucky to make it through the first game. Wouldn't it be ironic if Andy goes down on the first play and Young has to finish the season anyway?

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Dalton will be lucky to make it through the first game. Wouldn't it be ironic if Andy goes down on the first play and Young has to finish the season anyway?

The most Panther thing to happen would be that Dalton gets injured during the game against the Raiders and Bryce has to come back in =/

• Pie 5

I wonder if Canales and Tepper have done nothing but argue back and forth this entire time about Bryce. He’s unfixable, but to Tepp, that’s unacceptable. Then Tepp sees the meltdown of Mr cool Thielen and knows the locker room is about to check out but he can’t let that happen. 

I don’t know. BY not getting benched after half on Sunday rings weird to me. It was the obvious move to make at the obvious time, but it didn’t happen. Why? 

I’m really interested to see Tepp’s reactions when Andy throws 3 TDs this Sunday. If he looks like his IBS if flaring up when the camera points at him…. lol. 

• Pie 1

Not to say he was great last year (because he obviously wasn’t) but he’s most definitely regressed since last year.

the level of regression after improving the offense around him and bringing in a guy *specifically* to develop him is part of what makes it so, so bad. I don’t think anyone was anticipating a two game leash going into the season but his play regressed so much and so clearly that it necessitated it. 

• Pie 8