• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don’t understand the the hate on Tepper for Bryce getting benched

hepcat

I rejoice in the benching and hopeful for eventual dismissal. I’m uneasy about this being non congruent with our assessment of how unfit for the nfl Bryce is and What Tep sees/believes. As obtuse as it may seem, if Tep bought in to the enormous pre draft hype and is obviously emotionally invested in Bryce succeeding, he likely is living a completely different reality than the rest of us. 

We and everyone else see the benching as an endpoint to an obvious situation: he has no business in the nfl. This is his retreat in to the sunset. 

What T may believe is that he is still correct, and Bryce has superstar potential. When you’re never wrong, then it means that you’re NEVER wrong. Instead of believing what he sees, he sees what he believes. There are many like this. We all probably know several. 

I could be way off base, I want to believe that I am, but probably not. So yes, the journey continues. I would expect another go round with BY at some point in the future, but for now I’m going to enjoy what a touchdown feels like again. 

1 hour ago, Khaki Lackey said:

I can explain the hate for you, hepcat. Bryce should have been benched after the first drive of the third quarter. The fact that he wasn't, combined with Dave C's weird "Bryce is our QB" quote after the game, then benching him the next day pretty much told us that at the very least, he needed Tepper's permission to bench Bryce, at worst, Tepper made our HC coach bench Bryce. Either scenario is not how an NFL team is supposed to function, so it means that Tepp has learned nothing after 6 years. Hence the hate.

I mean, the very first thing I think is have you ever heard of 'the dreaded vote of confidence'?

And coach speak. 

People are grasping at that to say that Bryce was misled, or to justify being pissed that Tepper was involved.

But, Canales saying Bryce is the QB immediately after the game, that proves nothing (either way), it is just standard procedure postgame verbage.

I guess there must be a clip somewhere of a coach benching a player in the post game media minute but there can't many, it isn't SOP for people.  

Unless it was Mike Singletary who didn't wait that long, or Wilks lol sending Robbie the showers. 

I don't mind a bit about people being pissed at Tepper for what we know. I just don't think we know that.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

He is the scapegoat for everything because it's the easiest simplest solution to bring everything on one person.  He has made some bad decisions as he's learned and been humbled.   He may continue to, or he may learn from them as he appears to have done so far this season.  The thing he's got going for him is he definitely wants to win.  Sunday people here were saying Tepper is forcing Canales to stick with Bryce and the next day people here say Tepper forced him to bench him.  Tepper isn't the boogeyman so many people are making him.

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

Most of us are pissed at how can Tepper be a billionaire but yet so blind that Randy from Gastonia knew Stroud was the right pick with NO Scouting analysis

You say that now, but at the time the VAST majority of this board and the media was strongly for us drafting Bryce. There weren’t many of us advocating for Stroud. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, JawnyBlaze said:

You say that now, but at the time the VAST majority of this board and the media was strongly for us drafting Bryce. There weren’t many of us advocating for Stroud. 

Nah bro many of us wanted Stroud. The eye test was strong with this one.

Stroud or AR should have been the pick.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, SOJA said:

It does not matter how you feel about benching bryce, David tepper being involved in the decision is NOT a good thing. Just because he makes a singular good call does not mean he should be involved. This only makes me more concerned about our future moving forward 

So what evidence do we have he was involved?  

12 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

At first I wanted Stroud, but I was not 100% sold because Ohio State had a long history of NFL QB busts.  Bryce?  His size made me nervous, but I figured they knew more than I did, so I conditioned myself to like Bryce.  I watched the Bama tape and he seemed to be smart and accurate.  I think others started supporting Bryce the more they showed interest.  Towards the draft, however, I pulled my interest and decided either would be nice.  I was wrong.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, strato said:

I mean, the very first thing I think is have you ever heard of 'the dreaded vote of confidence'?

And coach speak. 

People are grasping at that to say that Bryce was misled, or to justify being pissed that Tepper was involved.

But, Canales saying Bryce is the QB immediately after the game, that proves nothing (either way), it is just standard procedure postgame verbage.

Agreed, that is a fairly common thing in all sports.  He is still our coach/qb/pitcher/point guard/etc....  And then the next day, he isn't.  

• Pie 1