• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don’t understand the the hate on Tepper for Bryce getting benched

hepcat

20 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I would never buy a jersey of a current player because it will definitely curse them.  Also, players change way too frequently to invest in something tied to a current one.  I'd just buy a Cam jersey or something and call it a day.

I’ll probably be rocking my Cam jersey for a long time. Would be crazy to invest in one of the current guys on the team

10 hours ago, strato said:

I mean, the very first thing I think is have you ever heard of 'the dreaded vote of confidence'?

And coach speak. 

People are grasping at that to say that Bryce was misled, or to justify being pissed that Tepper was involved.

But, Canales saying Bryce is the QB immediately after the game, that proves nothing (either way), it is just standard procedure postgame verbage.

I guess there must be a clip somewhere of a coach benching a player in the post game media minute but there can't many, it isn't SOP for people.  

Unless it was Mike Singletary who didn't wait that long, or Wilks lol sending Robbie the showers. 

I don't mind a bit about people being pissed at Tepper for what we know. I just don't think we know that.

I get that. I know Canales is not going into a post game presser and announce that he’s benching the QB. However, he needs to get better at coach speak, he should have gone with “we have to look at the tape” before going with “Bryce is our QB” just to bench him less than 24 hours after, because the optics made it looked like he needed to have a pow wow before making that decision. Just a bad look, imo.

4 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

I get that. I know Canales is not going into a post game presser and announce that he’s benching the QB. However, he needs to get better at coach speak, he should have gone with “we have to look at the tape” before going with “Bryce is our QB” just to bench him less than 24 hours after, because the optics made it looked like he needed to have a pow wow before making that decision. Just a bad look, imo.

Maybe just ask yourself if you are certain that he had made the decision at that time.

I thought about it, that is the simplest answer. He had not made the decision at hat time.

He would have had to have made the decision and told the player before talking about it in the media.

Before that, there is tape watching and the normal stuff the staff does after a game. I saw people speculating the players had input, that Canales and Morgan and cap guy forget his name, did a pow wow to get on the same page and they did. 

And, it is courtesy to run things by your boss and you need his thoughts.  I am not stressing about that. We do not have anything that says it is Tepper giving directives, that would be a different scenario yeah but even then, result is the same. You can't keep him on the field to just to rinse and repeat.

And about the coach speak of saying we have to look at the tape...  that's a little different; if you go with you are playing into the idea that you are considering making a change. If you haven't made the decision final, you don't want the player dealing with that. You don't want to have to deal with the player over it. Less is more until you have more.  

-----

That's what I came away with: recap with the nutshell version: 

He hadn't decided, won't open any doors into it for that reason, and even saying you have to look at the tape, may be a message you don't want to send at that time. Common courtesy to keep the boss informed...