• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don’t understand the the hate on Tepper for Bryce getting benched

hepcat

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

So what evidence do we have he was involved?  

the only circumstantial, indirect evidence I can present that is not conclusive by any means:  During Hard Knocks, The Giants GM Schoen was in negotiations with Dan Morgan about a trade for Burns.  He got off the phone and said, "Morgan has to check with Tepper."  Maybe not the same thing, and maybe all GMs would do that when making a big trade, but it made me uncomfortable.  

The other concern I would have (not hard evidence--coincidental?) is when Canales stated in the post game presser that Bryce was his QB.  Has a meeting (we believe) with Tepper and benches Bryce.  

But you are right--there is no concrete evidence this was Tepper's decision.  He was probably informed and we know he probably agreed with the decision, but the origin is not clear--and maybe not important.

13 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I was vocal for Stroud and posted many anti Bryce posts. The Texas v Alabama game in 2022 said it all for me. It looks exactly like the QB he is in the NFL

Texas V Alabama and Ohio St V Georgia is all anyone needed. These NFL scouts and offices need something to bullshit about for like 3 or 4 months prior to the draft though I guess. They majorly overthought it

• Flames 1

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

the only circumstantial, indirect evidence I can present that is not conclusive by any means:  During Hard Knocks, The Giants GM Schoen was in negotiations with Dan Morgan about a trade for Burns.  He got off the phone and said, "Morgan has to check with Tepper."  Maybe not the same thing, and maybe all GMs would do that when making a big trade, but it made me uncomfortable.  

The other concern I would have (not hard evidence--coincidental?) is when Canales stated in the post game presser that Bryce was his QB.  Has a meeting (we believe) with Tepper and benches Bryce.  

But you are right--there is no concrete evidence this was Tepper's decision.  He was probably informed and we know he probably agreed with the decision, but the origin is not clear--and maybe not important.

My guess is that Canales discussed it with him and Morgan, and maybe some others, but in the end, it was Canales call.  But its just a guess. 

I don't think Tepper is necessarily a bad guy, but I do think he is easily conned (Rhule) and a little impatient.  And fwiw, I think the current qb issues started when we released Cam and signed Bridgewater, and the qb probably have cascaded since, but that is probably a discussion for another thread.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Was just talking about this with a friend the other day.

If you forced me to buy a Panthers jersey right now, I’d go with a former player that I don’t have (probably Peppers or Kuechly).

There isn’t a single player on the team right now that I’d want to buy right now. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Was just talking about this with a friend the other day.

If you forced me to buy a Panthers jersey right now, I’d go with a former player that I don’t have (probably Peppers or Kuechly).

There isn’t a single player on the team right now that I’d want to buy right now. 

It's also along the lines of why they have to get so many Panthers  "legends" to do all this social media for them. The team has no character so they rely on TD, Luke, Smitty, Delhomme, Greg etc to try and sugarcoat this mess. Tepper must be paying top dollar for that lol. 

44 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

I seem to remember there were a lot that wanted Stroud. 

Yea, I'd say there were a lot more in favor of drafting Stroud than Bryce.  And beyond that, there was almost nobody saying Stroud shouldn't even be an option, even the Bryce fans, but there were A LOT of us who were staunchly against Bryce as it was painfully obvious that he just wasn't going to be an NFL QB.

Once the pick was made, those of us who were against Bryce tried to get on board with the hype about his super brain and the coaching staff we assembled.  But it was very apparent pretty quickly last year that we were right, he just doesn't have the stuff needed to play in today's NFL.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

You say that now, but at the time the VAST majority of this board and the media was strongly for us drafting Bryce. There weren’t many of us advocating for Stroud. 

Well, this isn’t true. This board was split. If anything I would say there were more huddlers scratching their heads at how a QB with zero plus traits outside of intelligence could be the 1st pick.  I didn’t even have the guy on my draft board for the Panthers in the 1st round because of his measurables. 

Most of us just stopped voicing our opinion because it didn’t matter.  We were told Fitterer and Reich and Co were the experts.  Most of us were told  in so many words “pipe down what do you know?” Stroud can’t be the better pick.

Edited by Beast_3000

8 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

My guess is that Canales discussed it with him and Morgan, and maybe some others, but in the end, it was Canales call.  But its just a guess. 

I don't think Tepper is necessarily a bad guy, but I do think he is easily conned (Rhule) and a little impatient.  And fwiw, I think the current qb issues started when we released Cam and signed Bridgewater, and the qb probably have cascaded since, but that is probably a discussion for another thread.  

listening really carefully.....I think Canales watched the tape and was like OMG this is rough stuff (hence his I had a thought verbage).  He then went into his weekly meeting and Tepper told him the Bryce show is over.  That forced Canales to go talk to his team about what the new plan now was. 

because if it was Canales decision, his presser after the game would have been different.  Hedged his bet.  He didn't need to study the tape to know how horrific that was.  Canales by all his talk, surely looked prepared for a long and slow and often ugly progression.  He talked about a lot going into this year.  And all his players were singing the same song post game.  And based on how he answered questions Monday morning after the benching....it seems clear it was Monday morning meeting move by Tepper.    Because if it was his call.....it would have been the easiest thing in the world to just say Tepper supported his decision.  Which he was unable to say.  And reporters did a good enough job sort of forcing him to show the decision hand by his non-answers IMO. 

and I am 100% cool w/ benching Bryce.  They should of built their roster for the likely benching.  If you were going to be willing to pull the plug after a 2 game bad start.....then the QB room should of always looked different.  Added talent and competition.  Jordan Love just went down.  They ain't playing Vinny Testaverde.