• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to gaslight an NFL team....

Jmac

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

This is a silly narrative. I wanted Stroud and hate Tepper as much as the next guy, and we never should've traded up at all in that draft. However, Bryce was unanimously a top prospect and by nearly all accounts if he was bigger would've been seen as a near generational prospect. This is not just a Panthers failure but a failure by pretty much all NFL scouts/media/fans/etc. that were high on him coming out of college. The biggest (only?) knock on him coming out of college was size and oddly enough that really hasn't been an issue whatsoever. I do not buy the narrative that he can't see over the line or that his issues reading the field are due to size. Kyler, Brees, Wilson, etc. have had no issues with that being similar size. The transition from college to NFL is just impossible to completely predict. He clearly isn't cut out for the NFL and it sucks but nobody was "gaslit."

Alabama's coaching staff is a remarkably good sales and marketing team. 

• Pie 3

11 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

I’d be willing to bet my house that Tepper would have passed on Cam Newton for Locker, Gabbert, or Ponder in 2011.

Memories. I remember Hurney was going to pass on Cam---wanted to give Clausen more time.  Was going to take the DT who went to Buffalo instead.  RR insisted on Cam.  Hurney was terrible, but he usually did what the coach told him to do.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

The next couple of weeks should be very important for the jobs of a lot of people in the Panthers organization.

I'm speaking particularly about our entire scouting department. Was Bryce just a one shot mistake that has hurt the whole team or is he just the biggest symptom of a systematic inability to assess talent honestly and extensively. And I don't just mean our college scouting group but also those who are assessing free agent players out there.

We've been watching a degradation of the team since the year before Rivera was fired. We've made bad pick-ups in free agency and have a love for grabbing old guys who are using their names for one last paycheck. For every Adam Thielen who balls out, there's a Bruce Irvin to balance him out or even two of them. 

It is our GM situation that has slipped, but there's a whole cast of folks behind that guy. If we don't see a competent and competitive team out there in the next two weeks, we've got to look at taking an axe to the whole department and cleaning house on our scouting groups. 

Or maybe it just was one undersized guy screwing up the whole thing. I'm personally not sure it was just one guy, though. 

You got it. I’m not defending Tepper because he kept Marty, hired Rhule, hired Fitterer, kept Fitterer too long, hired Reich and maybe more. He's been terrible but how can you not look at all the bad moves and think the Tepper’s forced Young to be taken. He didn’t stop Canales from benching Young after week 2 when the same people said that Canales was forced to use Young and had no say on who was starting.

It’s the sound bites that people hang on to and the need for one single point of failure/boogeyman.

Nicole hugs Young becomes Nicole made the call on Young. No one keeps bringing up that Stroud called Nicole Mama Tepp.

Tepper regurgitated the point guard analogy in April around the draft but no one mentions that Thomas Brown discussed the point guard analogy with Panthers media in February.

Fitterer and Reich say they are in lock step and said both preferred Young before and after their draft prep and Fitterer says he liked Young the best when he was evaluating for the 2022 draft, but somehow Tepper forced the Young call.

Objectively, if you want a single point of failure, go with the guy who said he loved Young and wanted him for a couple years. The rest of his 3 years of awful GMing kind of point to the fact that he sucked balls and he came from success with a smaller QB. Tepper came from Pittsburgh where they had big QBs in Bradshaw (6’3” 215 in 1970) and Big Ben.

• Pie 3

19 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

They were hoping for Drew Brees pt. 2. 

I think it was Fitterer hoping  for Wilson the second 

tepper  saw the ‘aww shucks, cerebal anti Cam ‘   

More importantly, he saw someone whose ego would  never  challenge his own  

as a consequence, we fans went from Superman to Minnie Mouse 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

I’d be willing to bet my house that Tepper would have passed on Cam Newton for Locker, Gabbert, or Ponder in 2011.

I’d bet you’re wrong. I’m tired of defending Tepper because he hired shitty guys.

Who do you really think fell in love with Young? The guy who came from Seattle and saw success with a small QB in Wilson or the minority owner in Pittsburgh who saw success with Bradshaw (big for 1970) and Roethlisberger?

Maybe Tepper liked Young as well but damn, the cause of our talent problems is likely the guy who came from success with a small QB and made bad call after bad call and fit the mold of a guy who seemed to go rogue and picked more project type guys.

50 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Just incredible that the Panthers bought into the bill of goods that they where sold. I wish that we could actually learn how the draft really went down.

Was it all the Teppers pushing for Young or other's involved. All things point to them, but who really knows. Get a billionaire together with a bunch of yes men and they can make decisions like this.

Look at all the red flags about Young, yet they closed a blind eye. It's amazing to me how he made billions in hedge funds, yet be so stupid to lean into this mistake.

Everything pointed to the family and the voice boxes around him gas lighting everyone. How they fell for this dupe is beyond me.

I can guarantee that a mistake like this won't be happening again. The next prospect that refuses to show at the combine and compete against the competition, will fall hard and fast in the draft.

Other than the last paragraph, I can't get on board with this.  All the QBs had red flags.  Stroud played at OSU, had ridiculous skilled WRs, and supposedly couldn't process.  Richardson was wildly inaccurate.  Levis was dumb and always played below expectations.  Young was clearly the cream of the crop based on 75% of the pundits and scouts.  He was the most pro-ready drop-in option.  Alabama QB who won a National Championship and a Heisman.  Seemed like a sure thing if size issues could be overcome.

Human nature is to blame someone, but sometimes things just don't work out.  I was team Stroud and now I look smart, but you never know what's going to happen down the road.  Injuries, surrounding cast, coaching, all play their part.

The good news (for now), is we are doing something about this going forward instead of wallowing in a seemingly bad call.  It's going to take this group (Cannales/Morgan) 2-3 years to make something happen anyway given our draft/dead cap situation heading into 2024.  I'm going to give them a little time to see what develops.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

I think it was Fitterer hoping  for Wilson the second 

tepper  saw the ‘aww shucks, cerebal anti Cam ‘   

More importantly, he saw someone whose ego would  never  challenge his own  

as a consequence, we fans went from Superman to Minnie Mouse 

Tepper came from years of success with Big Ben. I think he’s the nerd that’s happy to be part of the cool kids but it was Fitterer who thought he could repeat Seattle’s success with Wilson. Fitterer was like 95% wrong with all his decisions and he made some seriously bad calls that have crushed the team for years after he was fired. That’s how bad a GM he was.

I look at the point guard thing. Tepper isn’t some super duper college athlete. Thomas Brown started the point guard stuff and Tepper ran with it cause it sounded cool. I don’t think Tepper likes failure and is quick to try and fix it, hence he didn’t block Canales from benching Young. Tepper’s not dumb enough to not see Young is the main problem.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jmac said:

It's amazing to me how he made billions in hedge funds, yet be so stupid to lean into this mistake.

He made billions in government bailout money by buying debt and dying stocks from the '08 recession, and then getting billions of our tax dollars handed to him. He's a welfare queen.

• Pie 1