• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to gaslight an NFL team....

Jmac

Just incredible that the Panthers bought into the bill of goods that they where sold. I wish that we could actually learn how the draft really went down.

Was it all the Teppers pushing for Young or other's involved. All things point to them, but who really knows. Get a billionaire together with a bunch of yes men and they can make decisions like this.

Look at all the red flags about Young, yet they closed a blind eye. It's amazing to me how he made billions in hedge funds, yet be so stupid to lean into this mistake.

Everything pointed to the family and the voice boxes around him gas lighting everyone. How they fell for this dupe is beyond me.

I can guarantee that a mistake like this won't be happening again. The next prospect that refuses to show at the combine and compete against the competition, will fall hard and fast in the draft.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Yep, I think whether he came out and said it or not, its easy to get a read who your "boss" wants, and be swayed that way. I think Bryce crushed it at that dinner, hes well spoken, super likeable, just the sort of guy Tepper would fall for, while Stroud isnt nearly as polished speaking wise. 

I do think its strange how the whole S2 thing happened, like apparently Bryce had been taking S2's since highschool practicing them lol, I guess at least the S2 test is probably dead now, it certainly doesnt seem to translate at all. Bunch of snake oil that of course our owner bought into.

• Pie 1

His film showed what he was going to do in the NFL, it was there for all to see. Last year we had a bad talent evaluator at GM and too many hands on the wheel. It was a mess and it got out of hand.

Not 1 person, included the ones still around, said enough about all the red flags. Those are the kind of people you can't keep around. They need to work together but that is the work of yes men.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Just incredible that the Panthers bought into the bill of goods that they where sold. I wish that we could actually learn how the draft really went down.

Was it all the Teppers pushing for Young or other's involved. All things point to them, but who really knows. Get a billionaire together with a bunch of yes men and they can make decisions like this.

Look at all the red flags about Young, yet they closed a blind eye. It's amazing to me how he made billions in hedge funds, yet be so stupid to lean into this mistake.

Everything pointed to the family and the voice boxes around him gas lighting everyone. How they fell for this dupe is beyond me.

I can guarantee that a mistake like this won't be happening again. The next prospect that refuses to show at the combine and compete against the competition, will fall hard and fast in the draft.

When Darrin Gantt retires I hope he writes a tell all book about his time working for the Teppers in Carolina.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Yep

what is amazing to me is all the talking heads who said he was basically the number 1 pick

his size was there for all to see and if they didn't see that, the film showed his fundamentals were poor starting with setting his base   Add to it, his manipulation of pro days and draft  

i mean the guy is 5’8” at best, 5 10 is a huge stretch  

he is weak physically and emotionally.    pro qbs are alphas. He never has been or will be. They live the work.  He doesnt. When he said he  spent   the bulk of the offseason alone, watching Netflix, sweet jesus    

i still remember Bill Parcells saying when asked about taking Young number 1 given his  size

‘He better walk on water”

he doesnt and he never will

We owe Frank Reich an apology. Frankly, i knew when Dalton lit it up in Seattle who the problem was.  

you cannot fix a bad design and Young is a bad design for the nfl

He got away from slower line men. Had a line blocking giant holes for him to launchpad his deep throws to WR that already burnt CBs and still had to slow down to adjust to catch it. It keeps going.

The combine should have dropped him. He hit weight but couldn't do the basic physical stuff. Not throwing at the combine is not unusual really but the other stuff needed to be seen and has been an issue.

His personality combined with his limitations is a kiss of death to me. If he wad a physical freak would his mildness matter as much? Not really IMO. But without it he looks like a little tackling dummy in the NFL. Such a bad combo.

• Pie 4

The next couple of weeks should be very important for the jobs of a lot of people in the Panthers organization.

I'm speaking particularly about our entire scouting department. Was Bryce just a one shot mistake that has hurt the whole team or is he just the biggest symptom of a systematic inability to assess talent honestly and extensively. And I don't just mean our college scouting group but also those who are assessing free agent players out there.

We've been watching a degradation of the team since the year before Rivera was fired. We've made bad pick-ups in free agency and have a love for grabbing old guys who are using their names for one last paycheck. For every Adam Thielen who balls out, there's a Bruce Irvin to balance him out or even two of them. 

It is our GM situation that has slipped, but there's a whole cast of folks behind that guy. If we don't see a competent and competitive team out there in the next two weeks, we've got to look at taking an axe to the whole department and cleaning house on our scouting groups. 

Or maybe it just was one undersized guy screwing up the whole thing. I'm personally not sure it was just one guy, though. 

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He got away from slower line men. Had a line blocking giant holes for him to launchpad his deep throws to WR that already burnt CBs and still had to slow down to adjust to catch it. It keeps going.

The combine should have dropped him. He hit weight but couldn't do the basic physical stuff. Not throwing at the combine is not unusual really but the other stuff needed to be seen and has been an issue.

His personality combined with his limitations is a kiss of death to me. If he wad a physical freak would his mildness matter as much? Not really IMO. But without it he looks like a little tackling dummy in the NFL. Such a bad combo.

They were hoping for Drew Brees pt. 2. 

• Beer 1

This is a silly narrative. I wanted Stroud and hate Tepper as much as the next guy, and we never should've traded up at all in that draft. However, Bryce was unanimously a top prospect and by nearly all accounts if he was bigger would've been seen as a near generational prospect. This is not just a Panthers failure but a failure by pretty much all NFL scouts/media/fans/etc. that were high on him coming out of college. The biggest (only?) knock on him coming out of college was size and oddly enough that really hasn't been an issue whatsoever. I do not buy the narrative that he can't see over the line or that his issues reading the field are due to size. Kyler, Brees, Wilson, etc. have had no issues with that being similar size. The transition from college to NFL is just impossible to completely predict. He clearly isn't cut out for the NFL and it sucks but nobody was "gaslit."

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1