• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dianna Russini/Chase Daniel Athletic podcast with Joe Person

Jackie Lee

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

He just sounds as if he has no inside info--he doesn't know the origin of the decision, but when he said, "Nobody makes any decisions without Tepper's blessing."  I cringed.  It is pure conjecture and its underlying sentiment was critical or negative. I used to work in the Sports department at the Charlotte Observer on weekends when i was in grad school.  I was interested in journalism at the time, so I asked a lot of questions--mainly from David Poole, Tom Sorenson, and my favorite reporter, Rick Bonnell. I know what insider info looks and sounds like--Joe aint got none.  But when you start making unsubstantiated comments as if you are in the know, that will hurt your ability to get interviews, info, etc.  They will literally give that stuff to your competitor.   Remember when Darin Gantt covered that "Pie Chart" news conference with the Panthers back around 2010.  He pissed Richardson off, and the following week was assigned to Winthrop volleyball.

It probably was Tepper's call--we all know that.  However, the real issue should be, "Was it the right call?"  I think it was.  This was not about 2 games---Bryce has rarely shown signs of life and he should have demonstrated improvement.

Everyone gives him the most non response canned responses they can. He's usesless and after all this time covering the sport. doesn't know anything about football beyond the average water cooler fan.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I think he got David Carr'd. Shell shocked behind a pourous offensive line and it sucked any confidence out of him. He, like you said, looked fine in camp, but the live bullets started flying and he crumbled.

Hell, he looked good in his lone preseason drive. He looked like a completely different QB compared to what we've seen the past two weeks. There was zero confidence on the field since the regular season started.

The best thing for him and his future is to be benched. You can see the doubt in his eyes. If the dude has any testicular fortitude he'll turn this disappointment into motivation to get better.

Not holding my breath though, I think he's cooked and the only way he becomes a competent starter is after years on the bench and for another team.

I think you're on to something here.

David Carr even had a chance here. Sitting behind Jake for a year or two would have been great for him.

The worst thing that could have happened to him happened when Jake got attacked by Tommy Jones. Carr was forced back into action way too early mentally.

Bryce has several problems, one bring the stem of it all... him just being smaller and how this effects his view of the field, but also his view of himself.

He lost his confidence with that first throw of the season and the rest of the game it all got in his head and he can't recover.

I have possibly had double vision my whole life, but it wasn't until I went to a neurologist for a concussion a few years ago that I noticed it. The doc apparently noticed something with the way my eyes were tracking and he told me to look at a pencil he had in front of my face and asked me how many pencils I saw. I said 1 because it was obvious there was only one, but he said "not how. many is there, how many do you see?" And then it hit me and now I can't get it out of my head. I function, and do just fine, but often I will notice that I'm seeing double and I can't stop paying attention to it and it can lead to a headache.

I think with Bryce, the reality that he's small and how that can be a struggle may not have ever really hit him until that moment. He's probably always been able to compensate in some way because that's just how he's had to live.

But the noise and truth finally hit him and now he can't get it out of his head. Compensating I think came naturally to him, because he never really paid attention to it. But that INT and then that sack that had him thrown like a little rag doll really opened his eyes. What has been seen cannit be unseen.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

David Carr even had a chance here. Sitting behind Jake for a year or two would have been great for him.

The worst thing that could have happened to him happened when Jake got attacked by Tommy Jones. Carr was forced back into action way too early mentally.

Bryce has several problems, one bring the stem of it all... him just being smaller and how this effects his view of the field, but also his view of himself.

He lost his confidence with that first throw of the season and the rest of the game it all got in his head and he can't recover.

I have possibly had double vision my whole life, but it wasn't until I went to a neurologist for a concussion a few years ago that I noticed it. The doc apparently noticed something with the way my eyes were tracking and he told me to look at a pencil he had in front of my face and asked me how many pencils I saw. I said 1 because it was obvious there was only one, but he said "not many is there, how many do you see?" And then it hit me and now I can't get it out of my head. I function, and do just fine, but often I will notice that I'm seeing double and I can't stop paying attention to it and it can lead to a headache.

I think with Bryce, the reality that he's small and how that can be a struggle may not have ever really hit him until that moment. He's probably always been able to compensate in some way because that's just how he's had to live.

But the noise and truth finally hit him and now he can't get it out of his head. Compensating I think came naturally to him, because he never really paid attention to it. But that INT and then that sack that had him thrown like a little rag doll really opened his eyes. What has been seen cannit be unseen.

I think there's a lot of truth in what you just said. 

18 minutes ago, csx said:

Everyone gives him the most non response canned responses they can. He's usesless and after all this time covering the sport. doesn't know anything about football beyond the average water cooler fan.

He breaks news through his X or Twitter account.  That should tell you.  I remember a few years ago, there was a reporter for the Baltimore Sun (I worked in Annapolis MD for a newspaper there, and we saw one another at events--I talked to him, but he was a legend and I was me) and HE was breaking Panther news before Observer reporters.  He had connections around the league, and there is an art to maintaining a good relationship with the teams you cover.  he knew that art.  Joe doesn't, apparently.

21 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I have possibly had double vision my whole life, but it wasn't until I went to a neurologist for a concussion a few years ago that I noticed it. The doc apparently noticed something with the way my eyes were tracking and he told me to look at a pencil he had in front of my face and asked me how many pencils I saw. I said 1 because it was obvious there was only one, but he said "not how. many is there, how many do you see?" And then it hit me and now I can't get it out of my head. I function, and do just fine, but often I will notice that I'm seeing double and I can't stop paying attention to it and it can lead to a headache.

Like a bird dog that becomes gun shy.  My dad used to say they would either make the dog deaf or stop hunting with it.  Brutal, but when you have 1 job and fear and insecurity become visible in your body language and performance, something has to be done.  I imagine they will be making Bryce deaf later this week.

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So does this fanbase hate tepper so much that they'd cut their nose off to spite their face and keep Bryce in at QB because Tepper told Canales to Bench him?

I don't care who made the call, it's the right call.

This. It doesn't matter at this point. It had to be done. I'm thankful for it. Now we turn the page.

But big picture. Either way after this season the Tepper's need to remove themselves from any involvement of picking another QB. Cannot state that enough. There is no other path forward to stop being a joke around the league.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Well he's probably not respected because he makes things up lol.  The vicious cycle.

And the #1 sin, when talking to sources, never reveal information that is shared in confidence. Some might tell a good reporter, "expect some news on Bryce Young at the presser tomorrow, but keep that under wraps."  Joe then would take that information and break a story, listing three possibilities (I have seen him do this, but I don't know that he breached insider info--speculating).  Break that trust and you are done. 

As a reporter I was interviewing a college coach who greeted me with a left-handed handshake.  Before that meeting, an assistant coach told me in confidence that the coach was in the early stages of Lou Gehrig's disease.   He was numb on the right side of his body. At the end of the interview, I told him that I had heard rumors and expressed my concern for him and his family.  He did not deny it, but I assured him that I am not going to repeat the rumor, and I sure as hell am not going to write about it. It would have been big for me personally. Probably a month later, an article appears in Sports Illustrated about it.  The coach decided to break the news on his terms.  He later thanked me for my support.  It was a no brainer, but I can see how someone in the competitive world of journalism would have run with the story.

• Pie 2