• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce got benched, but the problem is still the problem

CRA

I’ve been thinking more and more about this today. Chugging some hopium.

Tep is still the biggest hindering factor to our success, but they did something that is going to pay dividends: the offensive line. Through 2 games, it’s been impressive. 

Bryce was the sole glaring weakness on the offense. Our guys were running open and he was protected. It won’t take a high level qb to make this thing go. We have legit home run level talent at wr and rb. The line looks good. Even a JAG level qb could do well. 

If this O has the ability to capitalize off of turnovers… A defense loves taking on an offense  playing from behind. Our defense is built to stop the pass more so than the run. If, big if, we can make teams play from way behind, it plays in to our strength. 

this is a good batch of hopium 

I love the focus on building the o line. That’s huge. It’s what good teams do. We had to start somewhere, and that’s the best place to do it. They’re locked up for a while or playing on rookie contracts. They need to go o line again this coming draft, de, dt and lb. Build depth. Consistently good teams have depth at o line. They lock up their all pros and dish their pro bowlers for great draft capital to desperate teams like us since they have a next man up. 

If Dan is able to keep Tep interested in investing in the lines, that’s huge. 

There is no hope for Bryce, but if we get a QB who can at least make the throws, it could be at least something. 

40 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Literally no coach would win with Bryce.

Canales' team have gotten their teeth kicked in and he has better talent than Frank Reich did. 

Both had to deal with Bryce.   Canales' handling and management of things still is part of why the mess is as bad as it has been.   I mean, we are making Frank Reich look good. 

I'm 100% in the show me stage with all things Panthers. Until then, it's just new names. 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Canales' team have gotten their teeth kicked in and he has better talent than Frank Reich did. 

Both had to deal with Bryce.   Canales' handling and management of things still is part of why the mess is as bad as it has been.   I mean, we are making Frank Reich look good. 

I'm 100% in the show me stage with all things Panthers. Until then, it's just new names. 

come on, Bryce has been way worse this year than last year. it’s not a fair comparison.  Bryce wasn’t afraid last year to step up in the pocket. This year he looks so defeated and broken and isn’t even trying to look downfield 

Has he been worse or did enough around him get better to where he is completely exposed? His stats sure but doesn't he just look like the same guy from the last game of '23? DC is very inexperienced vs Reich being the old hand so it makes sense that he would handle the situation a little better the the 1st time HC and 1 year OC but I'm still not convinced he has regressed. I think he is showing what it looks like when his WRs do get open or when his line does block. He just has a very green HC/OC combo vs last year. 

8 hours ago, CRA said:

We mortgaged our future.  Traded away CMC, DJ Moore and gave up a ton of draft capital to draft Bryce Young #1 overall. Bryce Young got just 18 starts.  Essentially 1 season (plus a game).  And in that 1 season worth of play...Bryce Young got....

3 different HCs

3 different playcallers

2 different offensive systems

14 different starters on the OL

Bryce Young might of been a bad pick. We ensured we got the worst version possible. We basically set the whole thing on fire and now point the finger at him.  And there is a reason Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and basically everyone is performing a higher level elsewhere. 

The real problem in Carolina, is still in Carolina.  No point drafting any QB in the near future.  If you were to develop a plan to ruin a QB.....we are the textbook example. 

Ugh, this will be impossible. Tepper is lots of whats wrong. My deal is he wants to win just as much as anyone, just what I believe. (yes he loves money, who doesnt..)

Now the problem #2 problem or #1 problem is who the panthers are employing(well Bas who is hiring these people???)

This scouting department is total trash. Thats the main problem, they are by far the worst in the NFL at identifying talent. Its basically that simple.

Football Personnel

Cole Spencer

Jared Kirksey

David-Whittington_Headshot

David Whittington

Assistant Director of College Scouting

Robert Haines

Robert Haines

National Scout

Lee-Mcneill_Headshot

Adam-Maxe_Headshot

Adam Maxie

Pro Scout

Juston-Burris_Headshot

Juston Burris

Pro Scout

Corey Fuller

Corey Fuller

Area Scout - Southwest

Caden McCloughan

Jordan T

Brad-Obee_Headshot_V2

Brad Obee

Area Scout - Midwest

Kaleb-Leach_Headshot

Kaleb Leach

Area Scout - Northeast & International

Colton-Chapple_Headshot

Colton Chapple

Area Scout - West Coast

Los Delgado

Los Delgado

Chief of Staff

Claire Stokes

Claire Stokes

Manager of Player Personnel

Justin Davidov

Justin Davidov

Football Administration Coordinator

Benjamin Contrino

Benjamin Contrino

Football Analytics Manager

Mike-Lounsberry_Headshot

Mike Lounsberry

Football Research Analyst

Christopher-Smith_Headshot

Christopher Smith

Scouting Assistant

Jackson-Block_Headshot

Jackson Block

Scouting Assistant

Gabby-Weinrich_Headshot

Gabby Weinrich

Scouting Assistant

1701726257854740.gif.bb2d2d78b2cadf3a0fc822c691f68631.gif

There are the faces of the worst football department in all of football. Some have made it form the 1st herniay era and couple new seahawk people form fittererererer. The hardest problem is finding great scouting staff and the panthers are sending Mike Trgovacs daughter to scout football players!! Geee, I wonder why this is the worst roster what will be 2 years running?? Who is the south east scout......thats the most important one, and whoever it is, they are awful. Fire the lot and take teppers purse and hire a real proven scouting staff. 

The strength staff is god awful too. The team has played weak and slow for years. Fire all of them as well and hire some westside barbell guru. 

Its a people problem. 

Edited by Basbear

8 hours ago, CRA said:

We mortgaged our future.  Traded away CMC, DJ Moore and gave up a ton of draft capital to draft Bryce Young #1 overall. Bryce Young got just 18 starts.  Essentially 1 season (plus a game).  And in that 1 season worth of play...Bryce Young got....

3 different HCs

3 different playcallers

2 different offensive systems

14 different starters on the OL

Bryce Young might of been a bad pick. We ensured we got the worst version possible. We basically set the whole thing on fire and now point the finger at him.  And there is a reason Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and basically everyone is performing a higher level elsewhere. 

The real problem in Carolina, is still in Carolina.  No point drafting any QB in the near future.  If you were to develop a plan to ruin a QB.....we are the textbook example. 

I love you, I love this post, I love your mindset.

CRA is a truth teller!

9 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Of course. Benching Young only fixed 1 of the many issues this team has. Everyone was so focused on him that everything else took a backseat. We haven't hit bottom yet.

I think we have. We might bounce along it for a while but you really can't get lower than those first two weeks. 

I still have optimism that we are doing the right thing moving on from the QB. Let's see what else we have on offense. He couldn't show us. 

2 minutes ago, strato said:

I think we have. We might bounce along it for a while but you really can't get lower than those first two weeks. 

I still have optimism that we are doing the right thing moving on from the QB. Let's see what else we have on offense. He couldn't show us. 

I'm not so sure we have. It's a long season and it's just got started. This team still may not win a single game. Tepper may fire everyone before the season is over. You know he's capable and more than willing to pull the trigger. No my friend, we've not seen bottom yet. 

• Beer 2

No magic 8 ball over here but I think if people chill and leave Canales alone to make his rookie mistakes, which no one wants to do even after the benching, we are going to start the gradual climb back up the hill. 

If the fanbase just wants more blood and goes off on the staff yeah it won't be good,  but it is just more of the same.

9 hours ago, CRA said:

well, I was told we hired him because he is the QB guru of QB gurus.  And Frank Reich not giving a poo and half asleep did more with Bryce Young.   And he ran he mismanaged preseason on par with the legendary Matt Rhule.  And we have had tons of debut coaches in Carolina....and he has orchestrated the most embarrassing and pathetic one of all time thus far. 

this is the scapegoat cycle.  We have been doing this for a half decade.  Every season.  It was all this dude, now we are good!  It's the definition of insanity.  Way more than Bryce Young stinks around here.   

I don't disagree that led by Tepper our org has been making terrible decisions and made this whole situation even worse each time.

But we've also not bottomed out to consistently historically bad QB play until now. I think what we've been seeing is worst case scenario for a QB that should not have been selected in the first round let alone first overall.

As far as Reich goes. We only got to see him with a QB other than Bryce Young once.

We have not seen Canales with another QB yet either. There are things that concern me with our new head coach. Like whether or not he is actually this developer of QB's or if he is going to become one of the better young offensive minds in the league. All I can do is wait and see. If things go south I'll be right there with you talking poo. But for the time being I think you're kinda talking yourself into a position of being critical of the staff at all costs because it's what we've been accustomed to. Let's give it a few games and then begin to form some conclusions about Canales.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1