• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce got benched, but the problem is still the problem

CRA

21 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Canales will not be fired, I don’t believe. 

we have enough weapons on offense to compete with even average QB play. That’s what Canales has shown in the past and I expect nothing different with Dalton starting. 

I'm not saying he should be fired.  I'm just saying getting rid of Bryce Young doesn't fix the mess that is Carolina.  And we should not draft and ruin whatever potential anyone has at QB until we fix it

Bryce Young might not of had the tools to succeed.  We ensured we got the absolutely worse version out of him though.  And Canales, just like those prior, was indeed part of that disaster. 

29 minutes ago, CRA said:

he has already proven to be part of it IMO.  Goes to his handling of his first preseason, his OC hire, and the fact he his calling his own plays.  We do things that clearly aren't smart or ideal and defend it.

The best offensive minded head coaches call their own plays so that isn't an issue at all. Preseason reps were a bad decision but perhaps he wanted more time to work with Bryce because he knew he was still struggling mightily and it would have been determental to put him out there.  For all we know he wanted Dalton to start this year until he could "fix" Bryce but Tepper wouldn't give his blessing. I'm giving DC a shot, I want to see if this offense can look competent. If the line holds up then maybe you can put another qb in understanding that the defense is going to be dogshit next year.  If we want to wait on qb then I am fine with that.  Draft one in the late rounds and hope to get lucky 

I agree this team as a whole has a lot of problems.   Benching Bryce does not make us playoff contenders.  Hopefully,  Andy improves our QB play to the point where the talent, or lack thereof,  can actually be assessed.  I don't believe our defense is great either,  but what do they look like when they're not on the field for 75% of the game.

53 minutes ago, CRA said:

he has already proven to be part of it IMO.  Goes to his handling of his first preseason, his OC hire, and the fact he his calling his own plays.  We do things that clearly aren't smart or ideal and defend it.

But do you really think he had free rein to say behind closed doors he wanted a different QB or was part of the prerequisite for getting the job at least to try with Bryce first? Seems reasonable seeing as Canales wasn’t scared to pull the trigger once Bryce showed everyone enough that there’s no doubt.
Morgan and the Teppers were all there to pick Bryce over CJ and gave up a ton so I think had to be shown. The line looks better and I see WRs getting open. Get Canales a good QB and hopefully he’s allowed to do his job.

Everything you said is true but we could have won Sunday with average QB play

Edited by poorboysrev

8 minutes ago, toldozer said:

The best offensive minded head coaches call their own plays so that isn't an issue at all. Preseason reps were a bad decision but perhaps he wanted more time to work with Bryce because he knew he was still struggling mightily and it would have been determental to put him out there.  For all we know he wanted Dalton to start this year until he could "fix" Bryce but Tepper wouldn't give his blessing. I'm giving DC a shot, I want to see if this offense can look competent. If the line holds up then maybe you can put another qb in understanding that the defense is going to be dogshit next year.  If we want to wait on qb then I am fine with that.  Draft one in the late rounds and hope to get lucky 

Cool, but what's that got to do with Canales.  He isn't some great offensive wizard and play-caller.  His one year at OC was meh.  That's not his billed strength of why he is here.  Much better coordinators have been employed here and they didn't need to call their plays here.  They had enough on their plates to figure out.  Canales took over the worst team in all of pro sports.  He needs to devote his time elsewhere....and he should of hired a real OC so he could do that IMO.   I mean, everyone would largely agree we are doing things wrong if it was asked about before were actually started doing it. 

He is a first year HC that needs to figure out how to be a HC and manage this team.   And frankly his team should of been fined by the NFL for not trying to win and be competitive last week (that's a joke but the point is sincere).  We were taking glorified knees starting in the 2nd half.  That can't all be blamed away on Bryce Young.  That's a coach not handling and being aware of what is really going on in a game. 

anyway.  I'm just so done w/ this team.  Glad Bryce is benched....but all the benching does is make me thing about what a nightmare this org is. 

Just now, CRA said:

Cool, but what's that got to do with Canales.  He isn't some great offensive wizard and play-caller.  His one year at OC was meh.  That's not his billed strength of why he is here.  Much better coordinators have been employed here and they didn't need to call their plays here.  They had enough on their plates to figure out.  Canales took over the worst team in all of pro sports.  He needs to devote his time elsewhere....and he should of hired a real OC so he could do that IMO.   I mean, everyone would largely agree we are doing things wrong if it was asked about before were actually started doing it. 

He is a first year HC that needs to figure out how to be a HC and manage this team.   And frankly his team should of been fined by the NFL for not trying to win and be competitive last week (that's a joke but the point is sincere).  We were taking glorified knees starting in the 2nd half.  That can't all be blamed away on Bryce Young.  That's a coach not handling and being aware of what is really going on in a game. 

anyway.  I'm just so done w/ this team.  Glad Bryce is benched....but all the benching does is make me thing about what a nightmare this org is. 

he was hired to fix bryce and gave up after 2 games?  Yeah something smells here.

4 minutes ago, poorboysrev said:

But do you really think he had free rein to say behind closed doors he wanted a different QB or was part of the prerequisite for getting the job at least to try with Bryce first? Seems reasonable seeing as Canales wasn’t scared to pull the trigger once Bryce showed everyone enough that there’s no doubt.
Morgan and the Teppers were all there to pick Bryce over CJ and gave up a ton so I think had to be shown. The line looks better and I see WRs getting open. Get Canales a good QB and hopefully he’s allowed to do his job

Tepper made the call.  And you know that by all the very carefully worded bologna and non-answers/dancing to simple stuff.....that came from Canales after Canales loudly declared Bryce Young the dude Sunday.  

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

he was hired to fix bryce and gave up after 2 games?  Yeah something smells here.

and if you were going to ditch Bryce that quick if he were to stink, if that was the plan, and in your heart didn't think he was the dude....you would have built your QB room different and you would have handled preseason different. 

this is Tepper being Tepper.  It's the easiest call there is IMO. 

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

Tepper made the call.  And you know that by all the very carefully worded bologna and non-answers/dancing to simple stuff.....that came from Canales after Canales loudly declared Bryce Young the dude Sunday.  

thats where I am leaning, the boos were the final call.  I mean for fugs sake everyone knows he was hired to fix bryce and they talked all fuging off season about Baker and geno but yet he is going to pull the plug and admit defeat after 2 games?  Nah man this came from above.

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Bryce is unfixable…jimmy Clausen bad but smaller. What scheme  you gonna put around him that works? Max protect and 5 yard curls that will get tipped half the time…they traded up and took the wrong guy. San Fran did the same with Lance. SUCKS but gotta be honest about what you’re seeing and cut bait. It gives me a little hope that DC had the cajones to make the move now. We’ll see, such a shitshow

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

thats where I am leaning, the boos were the final call.  I mean for fugs sake everyone knows he was hired to fix bryce and they talked all fuging off season about Baker and geno but yet he is going to pull the plug and admit defeat after 2 games?  Nah man this came from above.

and Tepper has a LONG resume backing that was a Tepper move/decision. 

Canales antics and talk just confirm that if you really listen.  Those Monday morning meets w/ Tepper.  Let's see how long it takes Mr. Sunshine to morph into defeated Frank Reich lol. 

people wanting to spin it as Canales doing it is funny.  Predictable but funny.  I admire that sort of fandom at this stage.  To be able to ignore what has been going on here for the last half decade and still do that....

• Beer 1