• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce got benched, but the problem is still the problem

CRA

We mortgaged our future.  Traded away CMC, DJ Moore and gave up a ton of draft capital to draft Bryce Young #1 overall. Bryce Young got just 18 starts.  Essentially 1 season (plus a game).  And in that 1 season worth of play...Bryce Young got....

3 different HCs

3 different playcallers

2 different offensive systems

14 different starters on the OL

Bryce Young might of been a bad pick. We ensured we got the worst version possible. We basically set the whole thing on fire and now point the finger at him.  And there is a reason Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and basically everyone is performing a higher level elsewhere. 

The real problem in Carolina, is still in Carolina.  No point drafting any QB in the near future.  If you were to develop a plan to ruin a QB.....we are the textbook example. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Well hopefully the lesson is learned and Canales fixes thus dumpster fire.

he has already proven to be part of it IMO.  Goes to his handling of his first preseason, his OC hire, and the fact he his calling his own plays.  We do things that clearly aren't smart or ideal and defend it.

None of last season matters and Bryce undoubtedly shares some blame in why there have nene 3 coaches and playcallers.

Oline combinations? Every team has different combos throughout the season. Injuries happen.

All of those issues are masked with good QB play. Bryce is damaged goods at this point. 

An average QB would be moving the ball in this offense. A number 1 overall pick should be thriving in it.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Meh.

Either Dave Canales is the coach we hired him to be or he isn't. We will know in time.

well, I was told we hired him because he is the QB guru of QB gurus.  And Frank Reich not giving a poo and half asleep did more with Bryce Young.   And he ran he mismanaged preseason on par with the legendary Matt Rhule.  And we have had tons of debut coaches in Carolina....and he has orchestrated the most embarrassing and pathetic one of all time thus far. 

this is the scapegoat cycle.  We have been doing this for a half decade.  Every season.  It was all this dude, now we are good!  It's the definition of insanity.  Way more than Bryce Young stinks around here.   

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The play calls have been fine. Canales can't throw the ball to wide open Thielen and Johnson himself. Canales wasn't taking sacks after scrambling for 5 seconds taking the team out of FG range without throwing it away. Canales wasn't air mailing swing passes out of the backfield. Canales didn't throw for 80 yards on 26 passes.

I've been on the wait and see train all offseason - Wanted to give Bryce a fair shot. The line allowed the fewest pressures in the NFL Sunday. The receivers were getting and schemed open. Chuba was averaging 6 yards per carry.

He got his fair shot. He looked terrible. The benching was both warranted and needed. This is not a Canales endorsement. I have no idea if Canales is a good head coach or not. But I do know Bryce played some of the worst Football I have ever seen on Sunday.

Canales management of things has been horrible too.  From preseason to in game this week stunk too. 

and we are repeating the same blame and defense of things .... it clockwork at this point. 

The Morgan hire smelled bad, the Canales hire smelled bad, Jim Caldwell being involved smelled bad, Tepper right back into his groove of management smells bad, the management of the team preseason smelled bad. 

and heck, even this is the same recycled routine.  No one is more critical of this team than me the last half decade......and then one of the predictable issues that was my soapbox coming in (Bryce right now) gets addressed.....and people will then call me a defender of Bryce because I refuse to let him be the scapegoat for ALL that clearly stinks here. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Canales management of things has been horrible too.  From preseason to in game this week stunk too. 

and we are repeating the same blame and defense of things .... it clockwork at this point. 

The Morgan hire smelled bad, the Canales hire smelled bad, Jim Caldwell being involved smelled bad, Tepper right back into his groove of management smells bad, the management of the team preseason smelled bad. 

and heck, even this is the same recycled routine.  No one is more critical of this team than me the last half decade......and then one of the predictable issues that was my soapbox coming in (Bryce right now) gets addressed.....and people will then call me a defender of Bryce because I refuse to let him be the scapegoat for ALL that clearly stinks here. 

My POV - We are stuck with Morgan and Canales as GM and HC for the time being. They deserve a fair shot even if we aren't thrilled with them as choices. Bryce deserved a fair shot. He got it and looked bad. Let's see how Canales and this team look with moderately competent QB play. If they still suck, then I'll be ready to move on.

I really wanted to clean house, top to bottom last offseason, scouting department included. Fresh start all around. We didn't get it. Hell, Morgan was on the interview panel for potential GM candidates. I literally can't even'd when I saw that. Canales wasn't on anyone's radar but our own because he's buddies with Morgan. There were other HCs I wanted more, but here we are.

We are the new laughing stock of the league to where people aren't even making fun of us, they just feel sorry for us. We are mid 2000s Browns and Lions levels of pitiful right now.

• Beer 3

I forget who I was listening to last night as I did the dishes, but I think it was Tim Donnaly on 99.9 the Fan.  He made a good point about how replacing Bryce was a way to evaluate the roster issues.  Sure, Bryce played like poo, but is it the fault of the OL?  WRs?  RBs?  The system itself?  Was Bryce so bad, he pulled it all down?  Well, if we can get an average QB (16-20 league ranked) play from Dalton, then we'll have a much better idea of where the team is, offensively.

As far at the criticism of the management, that's completely fair.  We haven't been good for a long time.  Get it together guys.  If they don't, then they will get fired. That's just how the NFL works.

I'm hopeful for Dan and Dave.  But they need time.  Knee jerk firings are going to be quite bad from Tepper.  The franchise is already a giant joke.  Time to figure it out and get things fixed.