• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Assuming it's done do you select a qb this year or wait?

Panthero

48 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Everyone laughed at the packer and falcons for picking QBs while having good starters, but I feel like they are gonna get the last laugh.

I think everyone laughed at Falcons because they brought in an old rookie that will be close to 30 by the time he starts.

1 hour ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Justin Fields looked pretty damn good Sunday but there is a good chance he never gives up that starting spot and plays himself into a long term deal in Pittsburgh. 

The Vet QB market doesn't look that enticing this year. If they don't go the reclamation project route with guys like Zac Wilson, Trey Lance or Justin Fields there really isn't much there.

One name to keep an eye on would be Drew Lock. 

Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to trading late round draft picks for a guy like Sam Howell either. 

Fields is never leaving Pittsburgh. I know that they are suggesting that Wilson will be back, however if he has a calf injury, and it’s that bad, he risks rupturing his Achilles for peanuts. Now I don’t know if it’s better to go ahead and slice the tendon or to let it heal, but Wilson would be an idiot to subject himself to the risk of a tear. That would mean that Fields will be in Pittsburgh, and he has the raw talent to make a front office question if he should be resigned or not. 

For me, I think you keep Fields and try to develop him slowly, something the Bears had no interest in doing. He could, quite easily, turn into a Hurts type with more tangible physical gifts with the correct coaching. 

Just now, Martin said:

I think everyone laughed at Falcons because they brought in an old rookie that will be close to 30 by the time he starts.

Sam Darnold is 2.5 years older than Michael Penix but has like 6 or 7 more years in the NFL. 

Look, the Vikings are going to start McCarthey next year, no matter how Sam does. That drafted JJ to be the starter and I think he will be good for them; Sam will also command a pay day following this season. 

personally, considering Darnold’s age and the longevity of quarterbacks, I’d say we bring him back with Canales. He may not be an O’Connell but his work with Geno and Baker is pretty remarkable and I believe that, with the correct investments at receiver and on defense, we could be a very good team. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

6 this year is generous. We'll see how much better Dalton is, but 4 is the max of where I'd put us right now.

We will win this weekend, I do know that. Everyone will turn around and say “where has this Andy Dalton been”?

People seem to forget what the Bengals were before Dalton got there. His presence, even if he couldn’t get them over the hump to the AFC Chanpionship, helped revive that Franchise and completely change the culture of the place. They expect to win, thanks in large part to what Andy Dalton did and what Joe Burrow is doing now. 

Give the man a shot. 

• Beer 1

I think it depends on how the draft falls and where we are.    I think this is a weak class so not a great season for needing a QB.

I don't see Carson Beck as being a future NFL starter.  Maybe Ewers if the staff loves him.   And I want nothing to do with Shaduer Sanders.

Give me Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter or trade back.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CPcavedweller said:

We will win this weekend, I do know that. Everyone will turn around and say “where has this Andy Dalton been”?

People seem to forget what the Bengals were before Dalton got there. His presence, even if he couldn’t get them over the hump to the AFC Chanpionship, helped revive that Franchise and completely change the culture of the place. They expect to win, thanks in large part to what Andy Dalton did and what Joe Burrow is doing now. 

Give the man a shot. 

Dalton will get this shot the rest of the year.  But there is no chance he can get more than another one year deal.  And he will have to have competition brought in for next season.

He is 36 already.   

Probably but it's too soon to tell. We don't know what this team looks like with remotely competent QB play.

It could be that the receivers end up looking good with Dalton at QB. If the OL continues to improve (they've been solid) and it looks like we've got a some decent options at receiver then it probably makes sense to draft a QB if we're in position.

Having said that, I would absolutely look to trade down if we get the #1 pick. If we can move down to #5-8 and still get a QB (Cam Ward is my favorite right now) while picking up some more draft capital that would be great.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

wait.  

pair Canales with a Jake Delhomme/Baker Mayfield type

That's my preference. Stop looking for the next Cam and try to find the next Delhomme. There's a better chance you will find a guy similar to Jake than Cam. Cam is a once in a lifetime qb the likes of which the world will never see again.

• Pie 1