• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Assuming it's done do you select a qb this year or wait?

Panthero

The only issue with the build the team, have a vet QB man the helm until you draft a rookie, is you are going to probably be good enough with said vet/middle of the road QB to win like 5-8 games a year, and sure, you can find franchise QBs in that range, but with how QB hungry teams are, you are getting the 4th/5th QB off the board in most cases, which complicates things.

I think the situation last year was bad, but it also is made look way worse by how bad Young was. Everyone talked about how bad the Texan's would be and how Stroud was going to have no chance, and magically their situation looked much better once you got a guy in there who could play. Andy Dalton made the situation look fine in Seattle, in a game where they had like 10 false start penalties as well. The o-line is much improved this season, and we have decent receivers, good enough where if you get a QB who can play, I think it looks much different.

• Pie 2

QB:  You are constantly searching for the next franchise QB unless you no longer need one. 

Starting rookies is a bigger gamble than letting a rookie sit for a season or two.  I realize that everyone wants that rookie contract, but familiarity with the NFL, the system, and personal shortcomings is huge.  As a rookie, everything is new.  Going back to High School, Bryce has always been on the most overpowering team.  His line has always been better, his WRs have been better, and his coaches have been better.  Mentally, he was not prepared for this.  Physically, he finally found the level where his physical shortcomings could not be overcome. 

I expect someone will offer like a sixth rounder for Bryce and sit him as a backup.  They will view his Bama tape and it will be worth the gamble.   For us, I think he is gone and that needs to be done soon.

Dalton is a stopgap who might have 2 seasons in him.  I hope he plays well, but he buys you some time.  Bryce was DESTROYING this franchise.  People can stomach losing if there is hope for the future. 

• Pie 1

It really depends on how these QBs perform through the season. 

There’s about two to three DLs I can see with top-10 talent, but there’s no clear lineman on either side of the ball that are screaming #1 pick.

I think objective number one is to try and win as much as we can, not joking. It’s time to develop the existing talent that’s not going anywhere as much as we can so this is not as in poor of condition as it was going into last season.

Let’s see what we can do. Let’s see if this team can get something going with this OL, Brooks, Diontae, XL & Sanders.

If Dalton shows there’s a decent baseline situation on offense, then I think QB is in the cards. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Justin Fields looked pretty damn good Sunday but there is a good chance he never gives up that starting spot and plays himself into a long term deal in Pittsburgh. 

The Vet QB market doesn't look that enticing this year. If they don't go the reclamation project route with guys like Zac Wilson, Trey Lance or Justin Fields there really isn't much there.

One name to keep an eye on would be Drew Lock. 

Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to trading late round draft picks for a guy like Sam Howell either. 

Sam Howell played his first two years in under Ron Rivera. A fairly conservative coach. He only got to  work with Eric  Bienemy one season as an OC. I think Howell would be worth the risk if you could get him for a 4th or 5th round pick. I hate to come off as a Bryce basher, but Howell has already proven that he is a more effective passer in the NFL than Bryce Young.

Last season Howell had 21 TDs/21 INTs, and 3,946 passing yards...on a bad team, with not much of a running game. If Bryce had put up stats like that we would have had a chance to win 5-6 games last year. The INTs would obviously need to come down in year 2, but not a person on this board would have been saying "Bryce is a bust".

• Pie 1

Bring in a younger vet and take a QB if there is one to be had. Can't let failure scare you into more failure. They can find D help in the rest of the draft and free agency. Be the team getting guys cheaply as they crash out of other's program and not the team watching them leave would be great.

11 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

for a starting spot? Maybe. Only 32 of them out there and I'm sure the Vikings want to see McCarthy out there. I don't see why any decent QB would want to come here. Brissett? Fields Maybe? 

assuming he continues to play like he is doing then he will have options and most likely will simply stay in minny

3 hours ago, Jaxel said:

Everyone laughed at the packer and falcons for picking QBs while having good starters, but I feel like they are gonna get the last laugh.

They both took QBs in the 1st round. They weren’t developing mid round QBs or lol, Cooper Rush.

Also, Penix has don’t anything yet. Love is in his 5th year in the league and he’s only 1.5 years older than Penix. Penix <> Love just from the fact that he was 3 years older when drafted. Sitting a 24 year old rookie shouldn’t happen. Sitting a 21 year old rookie can make sense.

• Pie 1

The FA QB list is pretty uninspiring.  Re-sign Dalton or grab Lock.  Draft a developmental QB in round 3/4.

We're going to be picking in the top 5 next year, so now is the time to grab an edge.  LB or CB in the second.

I think these guys may know what they are doing with the draft.  From the 2024 draft, I think Legette, Brooks, Sanders, and Wallace will all be starting in 2025 (and possibly Smith-Wade).  There is a decent chance Raym will be our starting C next year.  Another good draft in 2025 could set us up well for a real QB in 2026.

I'm an eternal optimist.