• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's time to unleash Dalton. No more dink and dunk.

TN05

One of the most noticeable shifts in this organization since Tepper took over is the shift from aggressive, downfield arial assaults to dink-and-dunk, west coast wanna be offenses.

For context: both the Delhomme and Newton Panthers were known for a huge focus on the run game, but a heavily vertical passing plan. Both were genuine gunslingers unafraid to take risks and throw deep. Since Tepper took over, however, we've seen a slew of... bad dink and dunk QBs. Bridgewater and Young are the big examples. The only real "exciting" games under Tepper have come with gunslingers - Sam Darnold's early games, and also the first few games of Kyle Allen.

I don't know if this was a top-down mandate or what. But enough of this west coast crap. Time to cut it loose. No more underneath routes on 3rd and 15, no more bubble screens, no more. Throw it deep. We've got a good running back corps; throwing deep will push defenders back, allowing a better run game. It's passing to set up the run. Let's get some excitement back in the game. I just want to see regular passes of more than 10 yards that aren't intercepted.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, TN05 said:

One of the most noticeable shifts in this organization since Tepper took over is the shift from aggressive, downfield arial assaults to dink-and-dunk, west coast wanna be offenses.

For context: both the Delhomme and Newton Panthers were known for a huge focus on the run game, but a heavily vertical passing plan. Both were genuine gunslingers unafraid to take risks and throw deep. Since Tepper took over, however, we've seen a slew of... bad dink and dunk QBs. Bridgewater and Young are the big examples. The only real "exciting" games under Tepper have come with gunslingers - Sam Darnold's early games, and also the first few games of Kyle Allen.

I don't know if this was a top-down mandate or what. But enough of this west coast crap. Time to cut it loose. No more underneath routes on 3rd and 15, no more bubble screens, no more. Throw it deep. We've got a good running back corps; throwing deep will push defenders back, allowing a better run game. It's passing to set up the run. Let's get some excitement back in the game. I just want to see regular passes of more than 10 yards that aren't intercepted.

Aaron Rodgers has played most of his career in a WCO, if I'm not mistaken, as have many other big-armed QBs...  it's not the scheme for us, it's the personnel.  They have repeatedly annointed noodle-armed, pansy-wristed game managers as our starting QB and then framed the offense around their "strengths."  It's no coincidence why when Dalton stepped in last year versus Seattle, the offense looked completely different.  It's not that they aren't scheming up deep shots.  They are.  The guy pulling the trigger just can't see/throw them.

• Pie 5

why now? We are in code red....

The Panthers traded with the Chicago Bears to acquire the 2023 No. 1 overall pick to draft Young, who is 0-2 this season. His Total QBR this season (8.9) is third worst over a two-game stretch since ESPN began using the metric in 2011.

The Panthers have been outscored 73-13 the first two weeks, with their only touchdown coming on a scramble by Young that initially was ruled a fumble. The 60-point differential is the worst by a team in the first two games since 2019.

Carolina's offensive efficiency rating (.70) through two games ranks last out of 608 instances for Weeks 1-2 since it was first tracked in 2006, and they have converted two of 22 third-down opportunities, worst in the NFL.

This is WITH weapons and a stud OL

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think Dalton is washed….but I tell you what, that is what a confident NFL QB sounds like . Dude wants to play some football.  Think he was struggling to keep his excitement reeled in…it was busting out though 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 4

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Dalton is washed….but I tell you what, that is what a confident NFL QB sounds like . Dude wants to play some football.  Think he was struggling to keep his excitement reeled in…it was busting out though 

Yeah I've never seen Bryce Young clearly act that excited about playing football. He's younger than Rodgers, he put up decent numbers with the Saints just two seasons ago. It will be watchable at bare minimum, and we'll be able to see if XL is a legit NFL WR or not, JT Sanders same deal. For me it's just about getting a grasp of the pros and cons of the offense before experimenting with tossing a rookie QB in there, we need to get a baseline established. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I've never seen Bryce Young clearly act that excited about playing football. He's younger than Rodgers, he put up decent numbers with the Saints just two seasons ago. It will be watchable at bare minimum, and we'll be able to see if XL is a legit NFL WR or not, JT Sanders same deal. For me it's just about getting a grasp of the pros and cons of the offense before experimenting with tossing a rookie QB in there, we need to get a baseline established. 

Could get a better idea on Mingo as well now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2