• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Preseason Play

PantherBoy95

So now in hindsight, seeing just how horrible our offense looks...how bad does that decision look not to get more looks at Bryce and the starters in the preseason?
Maybe we could've made this decision before having an 0-2 start.

The one good game against the Bills was what I hoped Bryce needed for some gift wrapped confidence; but that clearly didn't translate.

I hope going forward we actually let our rookies and starters get a few reps in those 'meaningless' games.

• Pie 1

It wouldn’t have mattered. There’s always excuses when the games don’t count. Or if he looked like he did against Buffalo it might have taken them longer to make this call, so I’m good with the short exposure and then epic failure we witnessed. It’s what the org needed to see to move on from this disaster. 

I have so many ideas but whatever is really going on in that house is everyone's guess. DC has not blown away his rookie year so far. The preseason was for practice and DC from the outside looking in played it scared. He rolled out the starters when he was under fire and they went up against backups. The only thing I can 100% confirm is he did not in fact discover a preseason hack. 

• Pie 2

Maybe Canales is like a young untrusted with potential. If he makes a good decision his trust index rises. Wrong move, it falls. 

He has to show enough to get the keys. This is the right decision in every way, besides securing the number one pick which it likely will not do.  It could take a while. 

• Pie 1

I’m an advocate for the starters getting reps in preseason games, but I don’t think it would’ve mattered much now. Bryce wasn’t going to get better, and because Bryce is who he is, none of the skill position starters were going to get much work in. 

But yea, next season, starters need their reps in preseason games. 

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, AggieLean said:

I’m an advocate for the starters getting reps in preseason games, but I don’t think it would’ve mattered much now. Bryce wasn’t going to get better, and because Bryce is who he is, none of the skill position starters were going to get much work in. 

Right; plus I think even if Bryce did look bad, you had to give him at least 2 regular season games to see for sure. So I applaud the FO for at least giving him a shot.

I will go on record saying I want Bryce to succeed, hopefully he can figure it out.It would be an amazing story if he could be an elite player here down the line.

Edited by PantherBoy95
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, AggieLean said:

That's where I was. I mean, how much good did that Buffalo series do? 

It showed that Canales had worked with Young to rebuild his footwork and throwing routine. That's something that is good to see. But the first game, that lasted almost a quarter. If you look at his form in the second game, it is completely not good. 

It ranged from looking caught in the middle with maybe a 80/20 blend of his old with a little nod to the new form, to him not even trying to stick to the techniques. That shows you that it isn't happening.

He isn't Frank Sinatra and can't do it his way and make it. Never gonna happen. His last hope is sitting out and having his come to Jesus moment and buy in 100% to fixing his drops and footwork. And then do it. 

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, strato said:

That's where I was. I mean, how much good did that Buffalo series do? 

It showed that Canales had worked with Young to rebuild his footwork and throwing routine. That's something that is good to see. But the first game, that lasted almost a quarter. If you look at his form in the second game, it is completely not good. 

It ranged from looking caught in the middle with maybe a 80/20 blend of his old with a little nod to the new form, to him not even trying to stick to the techniques. That shows you that it isn't happening.

He isn't Frank Sinatra and can't do it his way and make it. Never gonna happen. His last hope is sitting out and having his come to Jesus moment and buy in 100% to fixing his drops and footwork. And then do it. 

It’s almost worse that they gave him that easy drive against Buffalo 3’s. They probably all thought they had it in the bag and took it easy the two weeks before the Saints game. And no Jets practice isn’t better than a preseason game because he’s obviously a different player when people can actually hit him irl. Works for vets but young guys need real reps  with tackling 

• Beer 2

19 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

It wouldn’t have mattered. There’s always excuses when the games don’t count. Or if he looked like he did against Buffalo it might have taken them longer to make this call, so I’m good with the short exposure and then epic failure we witnessed. It’s what the org needed to see to move on from this disaster. 

I agree.  The oline is playing well enough.  Hubbard is averaging nearly 5 ypc.  The issue is our qb can't throw it more than 5 yards.  A few preseason reps wouldn't have mattered.

13 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

It’s almost worse that they gave him that easy drive against Buffalo 3’s. They probably all thought they had it in the bag and took it easy the two weeks before the Saints game. And no Jets practice isn’t better than a preseason game because he’s obviously a different player when people can actually hit him irl. Works for vets but young guys need real reps  with tackling 

Which, you really don't get in these preseason games. Or when they won't go all out in a scrimmage.

I didn't see the one last year but all the word, I heard. I gave it a lot of weight and then saw the environment they had around that scrimmage and it didn't seem like the huge test I thought it was. 

You just don't get the real speed until real games. That's kind of what his rookie season was supposed to teach him. 

I am sideways with the people bitching hard about the preseason strategy, being that I looked at the whole year as training that would be an ongoing thing all year. Was resigned to it.

Now as to the preseason format itself, it really is a new arrangement and it makes a difference I believe, you can keep doing things the old way or can you can rethink it. 

They have their routine where each game is approached as a step by step thing where there are different goals for different weeks. Now you have 3 preseason games not 4 so which game do you leave out? How do you best adapt? 

It is ripe for a new approach so I don't mind some experimenting with so little on the line, I mean we went into the season with people saying 4-5 wins. So big deal about that preseason, in the big picture.  That's a 1st world problem to me. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, strato said:

It is ripe for a new approach so I don't mind some experimenting with so little on the line, I mean we went into the season with people saying 4-5 wins. So big deal about that preseason, in the big picture.  That's a 1st world problem to me. 

I think Dalton can still get 4-5 wins but if it isn’t Bryce getting them it doesn’t really matter anymore right? Unless they really do a trade for a younger guy that actually puts some solid games together

22 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Wow I forgot about the Jets practice; that was a catalyst for a lot.
I'd actually be curious to hear what their players think of his benching.

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

I think Dalton can still get 4-5 wins but if it isn’t Bryce getting them it doesn’t really matter anymore right? Unless they really do a trade for a younger guy that actually puts some solid games together

Yeah. Pretty much a new dynamic now. New paradigm as they say. I don't know what is coming. It will be more damned fun that that torturous poo we were looking at. 

Thinking it is about Canales, the rookies, and the evaluation of what is here. I'd support throwing a lot of potential QBs against the wall behind a vet or some kind of retread, if Canales looks like he can carry his weight with the design and playcalling. Which we haven't see much of that at all. 

That's about to change. Sort of like, going down the list. Okay, that isn't working.. let's move on and focus on what else we can get done. 

QB I have said often enough to take flyers on later round QBs when the opportunity is there. 

Overall we need to let the season play out because in 16 weeks it will look different that we think, looking at it from here. That goes for the college season too.  So let's let stuff tell us then if we want a QB early or what we want to do.