• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Bryce Young and those close to him "very shocked" at the organization's decision to bench him.

FutureDynasty

14 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

Just to say, there is a very strong counter narrative out there that the Panthers completely failed Young and he was never going to be successful here with this trainwreck of a franchise. I heard the same story on 2 national sports talk radio shows this early morning on the drive in to work.

I cringed when I heard that, but in reality it’s a great narrative for the Panthers in the short-term if they want to trade him.  Let some other owner inhale that aether and convince themselves to take a flier on him.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, JBloc said:

I cringed when I heard that, but in reality it’s a great narrative for the Panthers in the short-term if they want to trade him.  Let some other owner inhale that aether and convince themselves to take a flier on him.

Essentially they went back to his Alabama highlights, and how could he be so bad now??? 

Nevermind that he physically cannot hack it at this level.

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

Just to say, there is a very strong counter narrative out there that the Panthers completely failed Young and he was never going to be successful here with this trainwreck of a franchise. I heard the same story on 2 national sports talk radio shows this early morning on the drive in to work.

That’s a popular opinion on social media as well, especially in regards to other teams fans. I’ve said before, they clearly haven’t watched the 18 games Bryce has played. This isn’t just this season, he showed nothing last year. It’s interesting hearing Mike Greenberg and espn say he was in a disaster of a situation, when last year before the season his network said Bryce was going into the best situation.

This offseason the team spent a lot of resources on offense and the line has played well, the WRs are getting open…Bryce was just awful. If this offensive coach is already benching him, he probably can’t be saved and Canales more than likely knows that. Sometimes good college players suck in the pros, it happens. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

That’s a popular opinion on social media as well, especially in regards to other teams fans. I’ve said before, they clearly haven’t watched the 18 games Bryce has played. This isn’t just this season, he showed nothing last year. It’s interesting hearing Mike Greenberg and espn say he was in a disaster of a situation, when last year before the season his network said Bryce was going into the best situation.

This offseason the team spent a lot of resources on offense and the line has played well, the WRs are getting open…Bryce was just awful. If this offensive coach is already benching him, he probably can’t be saved and Canales more than likely knows that. Sometimes good college players suck in the pros, it happens. 

Well it is of course incorrect, and lazy, but that's to be expected when the perception is out there that the team has to sell tickets for pocket change, the owner fires coaches on whims, and throws drinks on fans.

Our org can be terrible and a bad landing spot... And Young can also be really, really bad. I've not seen a 1st round QB show so little since... Man I don't even know. Even last year, it was clear he was at least a part of the problem on offense. He started all year and was worse than even backups. Who gets so many chances?  Even Pickles (not a 1st rounder) only played so much because of an injury to Moore.

Whatever. If blaming the org makes Miami or someone else willing to trade for him, hell yeah, it's all the orgs fault 😛

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

12 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

I didn’t want us to draft Bryce and I’m glad the experiment is over, but Jesus, some of you guys have too much hatred.

You would think he sucked in college and his  parents just bought him a NCAA championship and a Heisman. He’s not the first guy to be great in college and suck in the NFL.

Unironically, if he really loves to play football, he needs to go the Doug Flutie route. Go kick some ass in Canada and give it another shot later as a backup 

My sentiments exactly.  I preferred Stroud, but once Young was picked I wasn't going to whine about it.

I think he got a fair shake, but at the end of the day, he's just not able and ready.  He may never be - depends on his work ethic and what kind of role he can carve out.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

My sentiments exactly.  I preferred Stroud, but once Young was picked I wasn't going to whine about it.

I think he got a fair shake, but at the end of the day, he's just not able and ready.  He may never be - depends on his work ethic and what kind of role he can carve out.

There is no doubt in my mind that Bryce is a good person. Some will laugh and scoff at this, but sometimes people’s “calling” is not what they think. 

Edited by Stuart Smith
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 hours ago, frankw said:

I can't say if he earned it or not but i can say what I observed and he had it easy AF compared to the rest of the quarterback class.

Bryce Young was unequivocally handled with kid gloves throughout the lead up to the draft over and over and over and over in relation to the other QB prospects. Even after the shenanigans with the combine and very obvious manipulation of his official weight.

CJ Stroud was raked over the coals for everything from his upbringing regarding his father to playing on a stacked team with the best WR's in the country (hello irony) to not being a real leader to having a low football IQ to being "uncoachable" to not attending The Forehead's (Peyton Manning) passing camp or whatever the hell it was to even being criticized for attending an awards show wearing "too much" jewelry (a single gold chain around his neck). His character was attacked very similarly to Cam Newton.

Will Levis was regarded as an awkward meathead who possibly wouldn't last in an NFL locker room.

Anthony Richardson was criticized with the usual tropes of having little to no football IQ and just having a big arm with inconsistent accuracy.

Bryce did not deserve a pass from all that scrutiny. He's been coddled for a long time now. Truth is truth.

That’s you in your own head making up narratives that really weren’t big news like that.