• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Bryce Young and those close to him "very shocked" at the organization's decision to bench him.

FutureDynasty

5 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I'll admit I was surprised. I didn't think Tepper would allow it 

The guy who has already hired and fired 2,373 coaches between his 2 sports teams?  Think Canales is his 6th head coach hire between the 2.  The dude who built half a training facility in Rock Hill and was like…you know what? Nah. Or the Eastland project.  The dude from day 1 had to have a dome and then thought it was stupid.  

I don’t think he allowed it.  I think Canales was told what to do in that Monday morning meeting.  

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean if I could be an NFL QB, I’ve always argued the best job belonged to a former Clemson Tiger.  2006-2016.  Decade of employment in the NFL.  20 million for 2 wins. 

Clipboard Jesus.  Charlie Whitehurst.  Cool nickname, health and no pressure. Just call the plays in.  That’s the job I’d take lol

I liked Whitehurst. He was a nice guy as well as talented enough to hold a solid backup huge for years. Great college player also! Has he been out of the league that long now? Wow time flies!

56 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I can only hope this will wake him up and actually motivate him to train harder and study film relentlessly. If not, his shelf life in the NFL will be over once we cut him

I wonder what he did this past off-season, improving his poetry skills?

Edited by MRenshaw
  • Beer 1

It’s interesting reading other fans of teams opinions on this move. Most say he was wronged and should keep playing. Those same people, clearly haven’t watched the 18 games he’s played. You cannot be a head coach in this league and allow that play to continue. This was the right move. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

He's had everything handed to him his whole football career. This isn't surprising. Now he will have to work his way back up. Prove you are better than the guy next to you on the field. Can't talk your way into a starting spot anymore. No more hand outs.

Now this is a step too far. He earned the right to be drafted first overall and it just a hasn’t worked out. Nobody handed him poo, stop that. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Now this is a step too far. He earned the right to be drafted first overall and it just a hasn’t worked out. Nobody handed him poo, stop that. 

This is true. He did enough to earn the number one draft pick and  had to maintain a big skill level to start in high school, be noticed by Saban at Alabama and be offered a full ride to which he responded by winning the starting gig at Alabama and performing well enough to be drafted number one overall. Just because the dude can't play pro ball or QB an NFL team very well does not mean he didn't earn it all the way to draft day. Athletics will occasionally get political and a better player may start but there is no way in hell Bryce could ever have had that much handed to him just because when other coaches jobs are on the line.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Every single thing about him reminds me of Jimmy Clausen.  I remember after jimmy won his first game as a panther he gave John Skelton "advice" to improve his game, like he was any good whatsoever.  I get the vibe from him that Bryce thinks he's fine, nothing about his preparation going into the season made me think he learned from mistakes.  He's getting a steady stream of rainbows and sunshine pumped right up his ass so he has an overly inflated self worth. hopefully he improves with this wakeup call, but I dont think theres enough competitor in him, hes just a sulky spoiled kid who hasnt had to earn his place on a team since he was 12.

There is no reasonable person who would think the way Bryce has played is “fine”. There will be a lot of coach blaming, of organization blaming, etc. I will give those people this, the organization failed by letting Sam go and they also failed Baker by bringing him here to begin with. 

however Bryce, his issues transcend coaching and roster structure. Bro has to jump to complete a slant for crying out loud. He threw into double coverage while being stared down by the defender. He runs around like he’s at Alabama playing Mercer again. 

I knew Bryce wasn’t NFL material by how he played against comparable competition to the talent level at Alabama. By the same token, I knew CJ would be a dude by how he played against UGA. He just made the throws you’d expect from an NFL starter.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

He didn’t earn the right to be taken number one overall. It was handed to him by the Tepper family who, against the advice of the head coach they paid millions to, insisted we take Young. I halfway think the push to trade up to number one was done because Tepper was infatuated with Bryce and Alabama in general. 

It’s a case study in not letting your emotions cloud your judgment. It’s why recusal exists in the judiciary. It’s why Tepper should never be involved in another draft decision. 

I am excited for Dalton. I saw how Baker and Geno changed once they got to Canales and I really think people are going to be shocked when Diontae has a 100 yard game and Adam gets 8 or 9 receptions this week. The Panthers will look like a competent team which will take pressure off of the defense. 

• Beer 2

19 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

I can't say if he earned it or not but i can say what I observed and he had it easy AF compared to the rest of the quarterback class.

Bryce Young was unequivocally handled with kid gloves throughout the lead up to the draft over and over and over and over in relation to the other QB prospects. Even after the shenanigans with the combine and very obvious manipulation of his official weight.

CJ Stroud was raked over the coals for everything from his upbringing regarding his father to playing on a stacked team with the best WR's in the country (hello irony) to not being a real leader to having a low football IQ to being "uncoachable" to not attending The Forehead's (Peyton Manning) passing camp or whatever the hell it was to even being criticized for attending an awards show wearing "too much" jewelry (a single gold chain around his neck). His character was attacked very similarly to Cam Newton.

Will Levis was regarded as an awkward meathead who possibly wouldn't last in an NFL locker room.

Anthony Richardson was criticized with the usual tropes of having little to no football IQ and just having a big arm with inconsistent accuracy.

Bryce did not deserve a pass from all that scrutiny. He's been coddled for a long time now. Truth is truth.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2