• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales presser

Captain Morgan

Just now, WhoKnows said:

I’m aware and maybe I like the draft more than most, probably because we’ve been picking top 10 for a while now and we have been getting worse.

All the human beings on this team would be fine if we had Stroud instead of Young and if we get a franchise QB in the next two drafts the culture will magically improve. Wins change culture. Ron still lost the team at the end of 2018 and 2019 with our top culture guys still on the team.

Maybe it’s just me but watching this team go 3-14 instead of 1-16 doesn’t excite me that much. What excites me is that maybe we get that stud QB we desperately need. Young would sting a shitload less if we didn’t also give up the chance at Williams, Daniels or Maye or picking 9th. Also, not having a chance at Stroud if we didn’t trade up are the things that bother me more.

Stroud was on the board when we picked man.  We didn't miss out on him because we won too many games.  We missed out on him because we traded up and picked the wrong guy.

Nobody is tanking for a QB and having it work out.  None of the generational prospects are actually generational.  Teams that pick the right guys are working out.  Its that simple.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Everyone is praising Canales for making this decision and I hope it is true, but I wonder.  (I am sure this has been said--did not read the threads about this yet) but we have Canales says Bryce is the QB with confidence certainty--watches film--meets with Tepper---now says Bryce is benched.  I hope it was not a directive from Tepper--but he was sitting in the stadium when the boos rang out during the first half of the home opener.  I am not certain that Canales realized the level of frustration he inherited--or the length of the leash.

booos?  There were chants of "sell the team!" ringing out in the first friggin half, man. 

Def a Tepper decision...  he cuts bait quickly.  Just look at all the coach firings and front office execs that have left abrubtly.  This was all him.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Nobody is tanking for a QB and having it work out.  None of the generational prospects are actually generational.  Teams that pick the right guys are working out.  Its that simple.

Yup, has to be right guy, right system, right coach... right situation all around.  Cant just be a good player. All the parts have to fit.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Everyone is praising Canales for making this decision and I hope it is true, but I wonder.  (I am sure this has been said--did not read the threads about this yet) but we have Canales says Bryce is the QB with confidence certainty--watches film--meets with Tepper---now says Bryce is benched.  I hope it was not a directive from Tepper--but he was sitting in the stadium when the boos rang out during the first half of the home opener.  I am not certain that Canales realized the level of frustration he inherited--or the length of the leash.

Its well know Dipper and Nicole are meddlesome btches...of course Canales had to ask them for permission, instead of running the show as he sees fit.

We get so upset about missing out on these guys, but who have we really missed out on besides Stroud?  (Which was our fault).  Justin Herbert is not good.  Trevor Lawrence is not good.  I can go on.

We picked first. We had our choice of anybody including stroud which is all that matters. We screwed up the most.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

booos?  There were chants of "sell the team!" ringing out in the first friggin half, man. 

Def a Tepper decision...  he cuts bait quickly.  Just look at all the coach firings and front office execs that have left abrubtly.  This was all him.  

Maybe finally swallowing his pride.....nah...he was drank throwin pissed today...

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm guessing he's pro tank. Perfectly fine to feel that way and given our history I understood the sentiment. Completely unrealistic though given there are real lives and careers involved in this.

There isn't a player or coach in this league that is pro tank.  That's understandable if you want the #1 pick locked in, but that's not the NFL.  That's not pro sports.  Sorry.

Dear lord, this is still the most misunderstood topic. Tanking has never been players or coaches. That’s call point shaving.

The Dolphins were a marquee example of tanking they traded away their best players in Tunsil, Fitzpatrick and others. They got to multiple playoff years with all the talent they acquired with all the picks and cap space (like trading for Hill and paying him).

We had the chance to tank in 2022 and screwed it up royally and we are in the dumpster for it. We should have traded Moore for GB’s 1st (pick 15 or 16), Burns for the Rams 2 1sts and 2nd and anyone else with a pulse. Instead we just traded CMC to get a 2nd, which was thrown into Young deal, and some late poo and had enough talent for Wilks to get us pick 9. The rest is history.

Again, tanking happens in all sports. That’s were you trade your assets that won’t really help your middling team for future draft picks. We decided to FAFO buy trading our best assets for poo. 2-15 teams should be tanking not giving up pick 1 in 2024 and pick 33 in 2025 while also trading their best 3 players for 1 2nd.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

Dear lord, this is still the most misunderstood topic. Tanking has never been players or coaches. That’s call point shaving.

The Dolphins were a marquee example of tanking they traded away their best players in Tunsil, Fitzpatrick and others. They got to multiple playoff years with all the talent they acquired with all the picks and cap space (like trading for Hill and paying him).

We had the chance to tank in 2022 and screwed it up royally and we are in the dumpster for it. We should have traded Moore for GB’s 1st (pick 15 or 16), Burns for the Rams 2 1sts and 2nd and anyone else with a pulse. Instead we just traded CMC to get a 2nd, which was thrown into Young deal, and some late poo and had enough talent for Wilks to get us pick 9. The rest is history.

Again, tanking happens in all sports. That’s were you trade your assets that won’t really help your middling team for future draft picks. We decided to FAFO buy trading our best assets for poo. 2-15 teams should be tanking not giving up pick 1 in 2024 and pick 33 in 2025 while also trading their best 3 players for 1 2nd.

And where are they now?  They got a roster loaded with high salary players including a mid QB that needs to retire.  Do you have any examples where this worked?

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It was Tepper.  You take Canales post game talk + Monday meeting + benching = Tepper. Then the fact Canales refuses to comment on what went into it and the convo with Tepper speaks volumes.  Because if your owner had nothing to do with it....you EASILY could just say that.  But he can't.  And isn't.   Reading the tea leaves under Tepper has been easy.  People just overthink it. 

which I think is fine.  the benching is the right call in reality.  

but as I joked in another thread, the actual red flag in all this....is the Canales QB whisperer stuff IMO was always overstated bologna.  Geno rebounded because he went to long standing winning org in Seattle.  Baker just returned to being Baker.  Argued that this offseason.   Canales had all offseason with Bryce....and made Bryce worse.   Now, I don't think he NEEDS to be the legendary QB whisperer he was painted coming in by the fanbase.  But that narrative probably should be put to bed for a bit. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Sure but I'm just arguing tanking to 1 is not gonna solve anything if you can't pick the right guy.

If we can’t ever pick the right guy we might as well stop being fans. You guys are saying that Dalton now has you interested to watch the rest of the season but you don’t care what pick we get because we won’t ever pick the right guy? That makes no sense.

I want the best pick we can get because I don’t want the next Stroud going to the Giants because they might be able to pick the right guy.

You guys may be happy to have Dalton or other old vets going 5-12 but that’s not what I’m here for. I’m here for our next Cam, 4 out of 5 playoffs and a chance to win a SB.

7 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

We get so upset about missing out on these guys, but who have we really missed out on besides Stroud?  (Which was our fault).  Justin Herbert is not good.  Trevor Lawrence is not good.  I can go on.

I mean, Stroud, Herbert, Lawerence are all various degrees of functional starting NFL QBs.  We need that.