• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where Would We Be Right Now if We Had Drafted CJ Stroud instead of Bryce Young??

Hoenheim

Yea this can be seen as hand wringing and beating a dead horse. But  I think it's interesting to think about. 

Do you believe Frank Reich woudlve been fired if wed drafted Stroud? What would our record have been? How would his stats have compared vs Bryces .

I think CJ would have done a lot better (assuming the o line didn't get him killed). Instead of going 2-15 imo we woudlve gone 6-11 to 8-9 ish. Would've seen a lot more flashes of brilliance. Probably would've given the "all star coaching staff" another year similar to Rhule. CJ being able to hit on deep balls would have totally changed the offense alot. I think it's too much to expect he'd have a crazy season like he did with the Texans.

I see a ton of people saying he'd have struggled as much as Bryce did bc of the o line injuries/performance and the staff infighting.  But I don't think it's that simple. 

There's also a cool reverse thought experiment you could do with Bryce being on the Texans instead of the Panthers. All players and coaches remained the same, so literal pure QB swap.

Bryce probably woudlve done better but nowhere near what CJ did last year. I'd imagine the quality of receivers and the OC woudlve helped him but his limitations would've still restricted them. Maybe instead of being a playoff team they finished with 4-6 wins... 

I do think Reich would still be here and I agree we probably would have been in the 6-8 win range, our OL was below average (Bryce made them look even worse though) and our WRs were below average (Bryce made them look even worse though) but Stroud would have been able to work with that.

With this year’s OL and weapons? We’d be averaging 25-28 pts a game. Defense would look better cuz they wouldn’t be on the field so much with such short fields for the opponents. I think we may have still lost to the Saints (they’re looking pretty damn strong) but it would have been close and I think we would have beaten the Chargers. 

8 minutes ago, strato said:

Hmmm, a QB that could make all the throws, vs Bryce Young and his lil passing chart? 

You don't need to know the lottery numbers. 

Stroud here is better than the Bucs last year. The team might have imploded from the 'everyone has input' approach and games of knives they had going on but to think it would have looked the same with Stroud is a freaking hilarious struggle to come to grips with the Young effect. 

You don't need to know the numbers when you have the winning ticket in hand. 

• Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Stroud here is better than the Bucs last year. The team might have imploded from the 'everyone has input' approach and games of knives they had going on but to think it would have looked the same with Stroud is a freaking hilarious struggle to come to grips with the Young effect. 

You don't need to know the numbers when you have the winning ticket in hand. 

I couldn't understand the Bryce love just, at all. Probably because I had no bias from watching Alabama games (or OSU). I only looked at college QBs because it became important.

But the personal feelings of loyalty? Why? What has he done? Earn it.

edit: IOW, CJ is better, would been better here. I do not believe Bryce would have succeeded anywhere last year - or this year. It is the NFL, a big man's game (lol Damn Morgan). 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 2