• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young benched

Jackie Lee

6 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

It appears as if they didn't think there was any way he could fail after what they did for him in the offseason. They chose poorly. 

I'm wondering if there was some agreement coming into this season. Like, if Bryce fails we go to Dalton whenever that is and it just came way faster than anticipated. This team is being retooled. Canales isn't famous for working with young QBs but older ones. 

23 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

The only problem is Andy is not capable of lighting anyone up anymore. The more likely outcome is that Andy plays ok but nothing special. They still lose and the Panthers still look like idiots. So no, a knee-jerk trade is the last thing they need to do.

I think in this offense the QB doesn't have to be better than average to win. Just manage the game and don't make turnovers. Geno and Baker aren't above average QBs yet both went to the playoffs in this system. 

I haven't made up my mind on Canales even if I've always found him annoying. He makes those weird faces. I don't like that but I liked what I saw the offense was trying to do. There were players open and the run game looked really good we just couldn't use it for very long and benching BY was the right call but ballsy and he took it. I like that. I want to see what happens in the next few games before giving up un Canales. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

Just now, Panthers Rhule said:

I think in this offense the QB doesn't have to be better than average to win. Just manage the game and don't make turnovers. Geno and Baker aren't above average QBs yet both went to the playoffs in this system. 

Geno and Baker statistically stood out in one very specific aspect.  League leading.  You can't just be a game manger IMO.  The downfield deep pass is they key to those prior offenses working out. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Geno and Baker statistically stood out in one very specific aspect.  League leading.  You can't just be a game manger IMO.  The downfield deep pass is they key to those prior offenses working out. 

You can be a game manager and still take shots can't you? I don't see game managers being limited to short passes. They just don't take shots all the time. They manage the game. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

22 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

You can be a game manager and still take shots can't you? I don't see game managers being limited to short passes. They just don't take shots all the time. They manage the game. 

I don't know.  Everyone defines game manger different. 

My preference is using the word gunslinger.   I mean, you want to reel them in and control them...but the offenses talked about were all sort of dependent on the gunslinger mindset IMO.    

50 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I'm wondering if there was some agreement coming into this season. Like, if Bryce fails we go to Dalton whenever that is and it just came way faster than anticipated. This team is being retooled. Canales isn't famous for working with young QBs but older ones. 

I haven't made up my mind on Canales even if I've always found him annoying. He makes those weird faces. I don't like that but I liked what I saw the offense was trying to do. There were players open and the run game looked really good we just couldn't use it for very long and benching BY was the right call but ballsy and he took it. I like that. I want to see what happens in the next few games before giving up un Canales. 

I have noticed some nice blocking schemes for the WRs. I haven't seen that stand out with other coaches, the way it looks to me this season. And like some of the tweaks. 

And the way they are looking the blocking player could be turned into WR on another play with the same look. 

He was saying the same plays from multiple formations to disguise things. I think we may be seeing some of that WR coach background Idzik and Canales have. 

1 hour ago, Panthers Rhule said:

It feels completely unplanned to me. Canales ran it by a lot of people because he pulled the trigger. I think the suddenness of it caught everyone off guard. I surely thought he would get half a season from the coach. Tepper is always a wildcard that makes anything hard to predict other than if he gets pissed watch out. But Beyce playing like he did is inexcusable from him. But I thought he would at least get 1 more game. Guess not.

I would love to know the thought that came to Canales mind when watching the film.

4 minutes ago, Green-Ghost said:

I want to be very careful here. And I sure do not want to offend anybody.  However, I do see this topic as potentially cropping up.

do we compete to win games or do we tank to get another 1st place draft pick?

If you're worried about this team winning a lot of games you can put your mind at ease. Vegas is never wrong. 

• Pie 1