• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young benched

Jackie Lee

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

My question is now- When Dave interviewed for this job, he had to say "I can fix him"....Now just 2 games and he failed, what now?

Canales did fix him by all accounts, but when the bombs go off he goes into shell shock and becomes the chicken with his head cut off. Canales cannot fix that. The irony is that his supposed strengths are actually his weaknesses. Dalton isn’t going to last the entire season healthy so munchkin better see a sports psychologist

• Beer 1

After sleeping on it and thinking about all the positives that the team heaped on young in the off season I came to the conclusion something happened between the post game presser and yesterday to the benching.  Nothing really makes sense and I think Dave owes an explanation. 

Lets start with this. 

But when new head coach Dave Canales was asked on Tuesday at the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine what his plan was to "fix" Young in 2024, Canales said he didn't feel the sophomore signal-caller's play was necessarily broken.

"No plan to fix Bryce Young," Canales said of the 2023 No. 1 overall pick.

Hmm Okay dave,  then why were you hired?

then you can look at Morgans statement recently

"I'm not going to put any expectations on anything right now,"

And then of course on Sunday "Bryce is our QB"

So after all that you pull him after 2 games?   Man something isnt adding up.

I mean there are more quotes from teammates etc that all support young but they pull the plug after 2 games and openly say Dalton is better then Bryce.  Yeah this doesnt feel right. 

Did Bryce asked to be benched?

Did Tepper pull the plug?

Did the players revolt?

All seem pretty extreme but its really nuts that you kill the career of your #1 pick that you are still paying for after 18 games.   Yeah something big happened.

1 minute ago, HPPantherzfan said:

I thought I heard in the press conference, he quickly said it and moved on, but I thought I heard "the locker-room was divided" 

I dont think he said that but even if it was Dave cannot handle the locker room and the only solution was to jettison your #1 pick?  Doesnt smell right.  Youngs career is over in carolina after 18 games.  fuging nuts

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I don't think he said that but even if it was Dave cannot handle the locker room and the only solution was to jettison your #1 pick?  Doesnt smell right.  Youngs career is over in Carolina after 18 games.  fuging nuts

You can't make the players trust the QB, the locker room does not fall on Dave, it falls on the players.  Honestly, as bad has he has been, 18 games were too long.  Frank knew it, Dave knows it and I think finally David knows it.  You don't have to wait long when you know they aren't it, waste of time and energy for all parties.  And everything you heard was coach / player speak.  No one is just going to come out and say a person sucks until they absolutely have to.

• Beer 2

26 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Did the players revolt?

I think it's pretty clearly this. 

They (coaching staff and FO) see the veterans on this team.  I've supported Bryce and giving him time to grow.    But these first two games he has looked worse than Jimmy Clausen ever looked.   Cannot even complete bubble screens.   Missing throws that HS players make.  He has literally 0 confidence in himself.

I was at the game Sunday and it felt like 5 yards was too much to ask for our offense.   That's unsustainable for another week.  

I do think Tepper had a say but it was more of a approval of Canales/Morgan's decision.   

• Beer 2

Welp, I didn't think it would happen so quickly in August...  But after two games, I don't blame Canales.

I was very firmly in give Bryce a chance camp.  I saw some plays last season that looked special.  He was also surrounded by a LOT of chaos.  He was also sacked 62 times.  It's completely possible that Bryce has the yips from that.  Can he come back from that?  I don't know.

That would explain why he looked so great during the summer, but when the games were real, he folded like a card table.

Bryce's strengths were he play-making awareness, savant like knowledge of what's happening on the field allowing him to play with great anticipation and accuracy.  Sure, he lacked the size, but he made up for that with the brains and movement skills.

But after getting hammered for 18 games by opponents, fans, critics, and himself...he's shell shocked.  Looking at him after this past game at the presser...you couldn't trot him out there.  He's confidence is shot. 

Canales had to bench him. 

The big question, what does this mean for the locker room?  We'll find out on Sunday.  I think the vets are all going to rally around Andy.  What choice do they have?  Many are playing for jobs beyond the season.  They need to come back together.  Andy is very likable.

Bryce is a really nice kid, hard worker, accountable.  He wasn't a good NFL QB and did not show enough to be a good NFL QB.  That's the business.  Players can be upset, which is fine.  Play better.  Control what you can control.  They know this, they are adults.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

I think it's pretty clearly this. 

They (coaching staff and FO) see the veterans on this team.  I've supported Bryce and giving him time to grow.    But these first two games he has looked worse than Jimmy Clausen ever looked.   Cannot even complete bubble screens.   Missing throws that HS players make.  He has literally 0 confidence in himself.

I was at the game Sunday and it felt like 5 yards was too much to ask for our offense.   That's unsustainable for another week.  

I do think Tepper had a say but it was more of a approval of Canales/Morgan's decision.   

Sure but what I am saying is ultimately they all knew to a man that by doing this you are killing his career here and you gave up a poo load for him to play 18 games and every one involved fuging failed at scouting and drafting him.  Canalas failed in developing him.  Everyone failed and thats a big ass pill to swallow 2 games into the season.   So yeah I think something big happened.  To go from "Bryce is our qb" to "Dalton gives us the better chance to win".   There are supposedly no expectations on the year but working with bryce going forward isnt an option

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sure but what I am saying is ultimately they all knew to a man that by doing this you are killing his career here and you gave up a poo load for him to play 18 games and every one involved fuging failed at scouting and drafting him.  Canalas failed in developing him.  Everyone failed and thats a big ass pill to swallow 2 games into the season.   So yeah I think something big happened.  To go from "Bryce is our qb" to "Dalton gives us the better chance to win".   There are supposedly no expectations on the year but working with bryce going forward isnt an option

By all means, Canales and Morgan brought in an OL to give him a pocket.   And Bryce somehow got worse. 

I still don't think Canales should be expected to win.  But we need to look like a professional football team.

I actually have more faith in Canales that he was willing to make this decision; it's an incredibly difficult thing to do.   But I don't see anyway Bryce recovers from this; especially within Carolina.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, jamos14 said:

By all means, Canales and Morgan brought in an OL to give him a pocket.   And Bryce somehow got worse. 

I still don't think Canales should be expected to win.  But we need to look like a professional football team.

I actually have more faith in Canales that he was willing to make this decision; it's an incredibly difficult thing to do.   But I don't see anyway Bryce recovers from this; especially within Carolina.

I genuinely believe there's a reason Bryce won't step up into the pocket and it's that he can't and still see the field. His oline guys are massive and wide. His eyes are at or below most of their shoulder level. If he steps up he's blind. You cannot get a clear view of the field when you can't see and tight pockets are his kryptonite. 

• Flames 1