• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

so I've got to ask.. is it worth it being a fan of this team?

rayzor

As long as they have Carolina in their name then it's my team. I quit teams once and I won't do it again unless they leave Carolina. I hate most other teams anyway. I would have to go to the AFC as my old team were the Vikings. I'd probably go with Buffalo or maybe the Dolphins. Those are the 2 AFC teams I pull for even if I don't follow them. I could maybe go for Titans if their whole logo/uni combo wasn't so bad. I like Tennessee as a state mostly

as a day 1 PSL owner (thanks to my dad and uncle, I was 9 at the first game in ericcson) -- but i've been around for the entire history....this is what i'll say.  I may go to less games than normal this year and quit on some earlier and I certainly would not blame anyone for not attending or watching at this point.  

For me, personally, remembering the 2015 NFC Championship game, one of the clearest most vivid memories I have is not having to make a peep. I just looked. I looked around, and thought of the fact that normally on Sundays at 1pm over the years I'm trying to get people up, get people loud, get people excited.  And that day, all I had to do was shut the eff up and look around, and it was loud and raucous and shaking.  And I thought of all those moments, walking out of the stadium with head down in shame when our teams were bad/bandwagon away fans were carrying chants out of there.  It's those times I thought back to, and those times that made me truly realize and not take for granted the good. The good tastes much, much sweeter when you're able to remember days like yesterday.  

At the same time, we're approaching a level of apathy I wasn't sure I was capable of in the sense that even in down years I would wear gear, I would talk trash, I would have pride, etc.  At this point I have no desire to defend anything, and no amount of trash talk would be worse than what we see our team do on the field at this point.

These things are cyclical.  Objectively, as an NFL GM, you're currently trying to succeed against the Mahomes juggernaut and the teams like Dallas who are paying 2 dudes 400m who will continuously fall short---that's not a great place to be either. If we're gonna be bad, be this bad. At least that will continue to inspire change, even if it's just Tepper looking in the mirror once ever.   The cardinals did one of the craziest things ever drafting a QB in the first round with a new coach and then one year later they punted on both and re-drafted a QB. At the time I thought it was the most insane, self-indicting 'we're idiots' move a franchise could do.  Yet here they are, having flipped the script.  I hope to hell we can flip something at some point and at least get some lighting towards the end of the tunnel. Stay sane out there, folks.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, rayzor said:

At what point do you just let go?

Why would you hang in there?

I have let go and it has literally changed my life for the better. My Sundays used to revolve around Panthers games. If they lost, my wife wouldn’t want to be around me because I was a miserable fug. After they completely botched Cam’s career I kind of checked out. Like I love the Panthers and will always be a fan, but I can watch game recaps if I am busy or stream on my phone while doing something and halfway pay attention. 

My mental health has never been in a better place. 

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

As a Panther fan living in Houston, it is hard to stay interested.  My kids have switched over to watching the Texans.  I can't blame them.

To be honest, I find myself feeling a little embarrassed to be seen around town wearing my Panthers gear.  

I watched a lot of Texans games last year because I like pain. 🤣 Now though I just stay tuned into Panther football just to see if they become the next Browns. There is excitement maybe once every two years.