• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

They Say a Picture is Worth 1000 Words...

Hoenheim

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

you have an example of a top pick starting 2 years running, then getting benched and then coming back and playing like a franchise qb?

I think once he is benched he can never come back from that for numerous reasons

Steve Young. Was as bad as Bryce, if not worse, on those all-time bad 80s Bucs teams.  If Bryce ever turns it around, it probably won’t be with the Panthers. 

12 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

If he were waived, I think he would make it through waivers. I also don't know that anyone would pick him up longer than just to kick the tires.

If we waive him, let him clear waivers, and then pick him up off waivers…does that help us in any way?  
(lol struggling for anything here.)

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

you have an example of a top pick starting 2 years running, then getting benched and then coming back and playing like a franchise qb?

I think once he is benched he can never come back from that for numerous reasons

I'm probably older than you, but I do have someone who did all of the above. Jim Plunkett.

He had a terrible start to his career. He was the first pick in the 1971 draft for NE. He was traded in 1976 to the 49ers. They released him after the 1977 season. He sat on the bench all of 1978 and 1979. He comes off the bench in 1980 after Dan Pastorini suffered an injury and won a SB. In 1983, he came off the bench again and took the Raiders to a SB win. 

Plunkett had one of the most unique careers in NFL History. All that said, He was a much more gifted physical prospect than Bryce Young.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Geno Smith was a second round pick for an awful Jets team. He bounced around for several years before figuring it out in seattle. He also had to be a backup behind Eli Manning and Russell Wilson, which probably helped him learn without having the pressure of leading the team. 

Edited by BIGH2001

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

I'm probably older than you, but I do have someone who did all of the above. Jim Plunkett.

He had a terrible start to his career. He was the first pick in the 1971 draft for NE. He was traded in 1976 to the 49ers. They released him after the 1977 season. He sat on the bench all of 1978 and 1979. He comes off the bench in 1980 after Dan Pastorini suffered an injury and won a SB. In 1983, he came off the bench again and took the Raiders to a SB win. 

Plunkett had one of the most unique careers in NFL History. All that said, He was a much more gifted physical prospect than Bryce Young.

maybe I should have been clearer, is there an example of a player being benched and them coming back to the same team and it worked out?

3 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

The second he released that ball I was wondering how in the hell he expected it to get to who he was throwing for without it being intercepted by one of the other two Chargers closer to the ball. Steve Smith as great as he was at fighting for passes could not have even done anything to come down with that poorly planned throw. It was guaranteed an interception the moment it left his fingertips unless by some chance we got lucky and a Chargers player just plain out dropped it.

Like the 4th Q pick the LAC dropped could have EZ been 2 picks this game.

24 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

You could say the same about Jake Delhomme and Kurt Warner--however, I always say don't apply exceptions to the rule to your situation.  I am not saying that is what you are doing, but There are more Tim Couches and DeMarcus Russells than there are Jim Plunketts.  Chris Chandler (Falcons) comes to mind to support your post, and some might add Randall Cunningham.

• Pie 1