• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading Back Could Be Difficult

tukafan21

Most of the league is pretty set at their 2025 starting QB right now, whether it be their starter right now or a situation like the Patriots or Falcons, where they already have their future QB as their backup.

I could see scenarios play out where any of the Titans, Rams, Dolphins, Saints, Seahawks, Jets are looking for new QBs, but they seem really remote and/or they'd be picking too far back in the draft for it to be worth us trading back.

Steelers and Browns both seem very likely to be looking for new QBs next year, but again, both seem unlikely to be picking in the Top 10 in the end.

Really just leaves the Giants and Raiders as teams I think could be looking for new QBs in 2025 and have Top 10 picks.  But they're more likely to learn from our mistake and not want to give up a haul to trade up in a weak QB draft.  

We basically would need to be #1, have the Giants at #2, and then the Raiders or another surprising QB needy team to be inside the Top 5 to have any leverage in getting a good return.  If not that, we'd need someone else in the Top 10 to be as big of rubes as we were and give up something stupid to move up to #1 when there wasn't a clear top QB and/or threat of another team trading into the pick.

7 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Most of the league is pretty set at their 2025 starting QB right now, whether it be their starter right now or a situation like the Patriots or Falcons, where they already have their future QB as their backup.

I could see scenarios play out where any of the Titans, Rams, Dolphins, Saints, Seahawks, Jets are looking for new QBs, but they seem really remote and/or they'd be picking too far back in the draft for it to be worth us trading back.

Steelers and Browns both seem very likely to be looking for new QBs next year, but again, both seem unlikely to be picking in the Top 10 in the end.

Really just leaves the Giants and Raiders as teams I think could be looking for new QBs in 2025 and have Top 10 picks.  But they're more likely to learn from our mistake and not want to give up a haul to trade up in a weak QB draft.  

We basically would need to be #1, have the Giants at #2, and then the Raiders or another surprising QB needy team to be inside the Top 5 to have any leverage in getting a good return.  If not that, we'd need someone else in the Top 10 to be as big of rubes as we were and give up something stupid to move up to #1 when there wasn't a clear top QB and/or threat of another team trading into the pick.

It would be Black Cat typical for that to work out so we are ‘stuck’ with the top pick. 
But most years there is a frenzy whether or not it is justified. 
Whatever happens at least it is just one pick not 3 years of them.  

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

I could see the Giants waiting for Arch in 2026. 

Have Arch pull an Eli (I’m sure the Giants will be picking high again) and end up in NY 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they would be very against that.

Even with the great relationship Eli has with the franchise, I can't see them wanting to have to play in his Uncle's looming shadow while also dealing with the NYC media and fan base on top of it.  

The kid has enough pressure on him already, playing for the Giants, Colts, or Broncos would be very tough for him to do I think

1 minute ago, UnluckyforSome said:

There has to be a player that generates the interest and justifies such a trade. Then the question is if they are so good, why shouldn't we pick them? The college season is still early. Someone might emerge. Right now it's all muddled.

Exactly 

I see so many people saying we should trade the 1st overall pick for a haul because there isn’t a QB worth taking 1st…

Then who in the hell is trading a haul for that pick???

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Exactly 

I see so many people saying we should trade the 1st overall pick for a haul because there isn’t a QB worth taking 1st…

Then who in the hell is trading a haul for that pick???

I've advocated for trading back, but have never said a "haul" because I know nobody is giving that up with this QB class, if that were the case, we'd just take the player.

But just looking at the 2025 QB situations, there might just be such a dearth of teams looking for a new QB in the offseason that there isn't even the ability to get ANY trade offers for #1 unless someone falls in love with a non QB that they just have to draft.

My preference would be to try and trade back to the 4-6 range to hopefully pick up a single future 1st, but even that seems lofty expectations in this draft class, and then take our first choice WR (my preference has clearly been shown as T-Mac of course).

Get that true #1 WR in the draft this year and then draft a new QB in 2026 who steps in with a 2nd year stud already to throw to and hope we have a great duo for the next decade because of it.

10 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they would be very against that.

Even with the great relationship Eli has with the franchise, I can't see them wanting to have to play in his Uncle's looming shadow while also dealing with the NYC media and fan base on top of it.  

The kid has enough pressure on him already, playing for the Giants, Colts, or Broncos would be very tough for him to do I think

So, I wonder when Carr's deal is up in NO?