• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some additional thoughts about why you have to bench/release Bryce

electro's horse

Going from the Tepper viewpoint: 

yes, you thought it was a good purchase/price/buy at the time.
At some point you need to cut your losses and re-evaluate/adjust your portfolio

A good portfolio manager/money advisor will tell you to sell specific stocks that are under-performing, no matter how emotionally attached you are to the brand.

bad example: Just because you prefer to drink Coke over Pepsi doesn't mean you should avoid buying Pepsi stock if that's what the Financial Advisors are telling you to do. Lesson learned: trust the experts who know what they're doing - they may still make mistakes, but the ones they make will be smaller and easier to overcome

1 hour ago, Gapanthersfan said:

His only road to salvation is if Bryce leaves the NFL or is cut by the team. This can hopefully begin to restore the locker room. The players at this point have to know that it’s not Canales’ call. As it is now, Bryce even being there is too much for those dudes. He screws up the energy that badly. 

1. cut Bryce or he retires

2. Start Dalton for a few games, build some team chemistry and something, anything positive. Have Plummer get some meaningful reps and tutoring from Dalton. Have the line gel behind an NFL caliber qb. 

3. play competitive ball. Probably still lose, but don’t look like losers. 

Right now, we have a bunch of dudes who know that they’re not losers, but they sure feel like they are. If Canales can find a way to turn that around before they accept losing, then we have something in him. 

I think this is the path forward, however we cannot afford to cut Bryce now.  We would incur a dead cap hit of around 30m.  I think he will be here at least through 2025, however I'd be surprised if he plays beyond next week.  He will develop some sort of nagging groin injury or something.  But anyone can see we have to develop our guys and get better and Bryce just does not help us do that in any way.

I always thought he should have been allowed to sit for his first 7-8 games instead of throwing him out there right away.  He just wasn't ready and now he's completely broken. 

He needs to be on the bench, but under no circumstances should we win more than 3 games.  The next draft is too important.  If we have to trot Bryce out there in November/December to avoid winning more than 4 games, we should do it.

5 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I think Canales has to go through the motions to “”give Bryce every chance to improve”. I think this lasts until week 4/5 max.  

He has weapons and protection. All the excuses from last year are gone.  

Protection seems better. This DJ (Johnson) looks the same bum ass trash as the last one (Chark). I’ve always said they need a top tier TE for this safety blanket much more than a WR1. 

Bryce has to be benched for a few reasons.  1. When you step out onto the field, the objective should be to win that game. Player development happens between games.  When it's game time, you need the combination of players that give you the best chance to win.   2. Integrity and accountability to the fans and players.  How can you bench a RB that fumbles the ball, a cornerback that gets roasted or a lineman that can't block when you continue to let your QB go out there and completely suck ass?  I think that's now 3 interceptions and no TDs in two games.  That's suckage and to deny it is to lose the respect of the rest of the players.  Players are out there playing to win, to get new contracts, to make their incentives and you keep watching a QB get worse and worse.  How to you ask a receiver to bust ass and beat his man only to be missed in the read or the delivery?

15 hours ago, electro's horse said:

First, to everyone that says the Panthers need to start him to secure the number 1 pick. I agree Bryce young playing 17 games guarantees that, but I disagree with everythingelse.

1. Bryce isn't surviving 17 games

2. There is more to a season than winning the super bowl or getting the first over all pick

3. Tepper JUST fuged up the number 1 overall; no reason to expect he wouldn't do it again

4. It is discourse poison. People on here got so excited by Bryce BECAUSE he was the number 1 pick and would not shut up about him even when it was clear from the jump it wasn't going to work out. I don't want to fuging go through all this again for like Carson Beck. 

Alright, that said, why do we need to bench or cut Bryce

1. Player development/evaluation - on offense, it's impossible to fairly evaluate anyone because of what Bryce is doing. I've brought this up multiple times, and only the coaches know for certain, but you can't tell me some of the oline issues last year weren't because of Bryce's "drop back." How do you block for someone you can't see when you have no idea where he actually is? 

Additionally, you have resources tied up in young players, specifically XL, and you will learn nothing about them this year. Bryce can't make it past his first read and defenses know this. They're getting practice reps and game experience sure, but does anyone think XL is gonna go up for a catch this year that matters? On the other side of the ball, what do you know about your young pass rushers? Teams are going to be running out the clock on the Panthers all year. This is a complete wash on the defense.

2. Player safety - if Bryce doesn't get hurt, someone else will. He threw two check down hospital balls in garbage time today. If his interception wasn't such an easy pick, there was a defender there to light up the receiver. Whichever receiver ended up catching it, i don't understand that route at all and it makes me think it's just intended as a decoy. It's a dangerous game and I get it, but the receivers have to know that the QB isn't going to be leading them into a brick wall. Bryce is going to get someone killed.

3. Organizational integrity - the panthers are not a serious organization right now. Other teams have bad owners, other teams have bad coaches, other teams have bad players. The panthers are trotting out someone at the most important position who does not have the physical prerequisites to play at any position, and has shown he can't complete the required basics. What he did at Alabama doesn't matter. What the Panthers gave up for him doesn't matter. At this point you cannot say the Panthers are focused on winning games. You cannot say the Panthers are focused on the future. 

The Panthers need to focus on becoming a competitive football organization and staying in games however they can. The Saints curb stomped them. The Chargers were nice today. On TV, LA looked like a team that knew it didn't need to do much to beat the Panthers. If the Panthers keep trotting Bryce out there, they will have nothing to build on week after week. Again, a lot of you only think "Super Bowl or 1st overall pick." Think of how many players from the 2003 team were drafted in the 90s. That team wasn't just Julius Peppers and Jake Delhomme. How many key players on the 2015 team were there with Fox? Again, there was more to that team than Cam and Luke.

With the way the organization is right now, how do you develop Mike Rucker? Where is Thomas Davis coming from? Do we know if we have a Josh Norman? Are we going to figure out if Brady Christensen is actually Ryan Kalil? The team is so bad right now we have no idea. And the one player that developed here out of nowhere, Frankie Luvu, was allowed to walk so the team would have cap space to try to help Bryce. (I'm still bitter about that and just throwing it out there.)

Another thought; whomever the top QB prospect ends up being, if you were his father, would you let him go to Carolina? Of course not. 

4. Coach - How do you judge Canales right now? I would argue you can't but that it doesn't matter. He was unqualified when he was hired and he's shown why no other teams wanted an interview. Regardless, how can you actually evaluate him given these circumstances? And how can you expect him to try to get players to buy if he's not allowed to bench Bryce? All we know about this guy is he's starting Bryce for SOME REASON (reasonable people can speculate) and he's announced he's going to start him next week. 

This is to say nothing about the next coach. Are we still going to be going through this charade? Is the next coach going to be an even bigger whisperer? 

i don't want to fuging hear about the first round pick; that's a stupid argument. i don't want to hear about developing bryce; that poo has sailed. I just want to see a team that can actually compete and try to find reasons to be optimistic for next season. 

I really don’t know the personality of Tepper.  However, I do know human nature.  I would add here ego.  I am beginning to think the best course of action is to bench Bryce Young in favor of a different quarterback.  I would even go so far as to play Andy Dalton I think any different quarterback would spark the team. I doubt the players at this point want to play for Bryce Young.

However, to not play Bryce Young also tends to make Tepper and the people around him look like they made a mistake drafting him in the first place.

Great post fiz.  Only thing I'd add is that Bryce clearly isn't playing QB the way Canales teaches it.  I think it's likely he's listening to hid dad saying to "play like you did at Alabama."

If you don't bench a guy who directly contradicts your coaching how can the other guys respect you?  

Edited by ClawOn