• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the goal of the team is to win…

Iceup

5 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Ok, so we go 3-14 and lose out to the Giants for the number 1 pick. They choose the CJ Stroud of 2025 and we get the Bryce Young of 2025 because we got 3 wins and 12 losses with Dalton.

I’m hoping for an actual franchise level QB. That’s it. It amazes me that people want a few wins (maybe) over our future.  Yes, I know we may still have poo at GM but at some point we have to hope they don’t fitter the pick up again.

I’ve seem a lot of love of Wilks in here lately and all he really did was make us lose Moore and CMC while picking Young first. Heck, we might have accidentally had to take Stroud if we had pick 2 or 3 instead of 9.

At some point we need to get the next QB and if Dalton can’t help us get there, he can ride the bench. I’d rather us pickup the best PS QB and try them out.

I get it. It seems like a waste already and if we aren’t going to win but a few games why bother- take the L’s and give the team more options for success in the future…

I understand your reasoning, but I guess I’m too old and stubborn (limited view)to buy giving up and laying down today to maybe get ahead tomorrow. I’ll watch every game if we are trying to win — but i can’t do that if we aren’t. 

Keep Pounding I Guess

• Pie 1

Bryce continues to start (and self destruct) until Tepper reaches peak embarrassment.  When peak embarrassment is greater then Tepper’s ego, then and only then will Bryce be benched.  

There are parallels in the corporate world; the inability to admit you were wrong.  Seen it before.

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

People keep saying this that Tepper is forcing Young on the staff, but I haven't seen any evidence to support this supposition.

I do believe Canales was hired to see if h3 could turn Young into an NFL qb.  I don't doubt that he decides Bryce isn't ready and to go with the backup, then I think Tepper will allow him to do so.  I mean I know people here hate Tepper, but he can't be a complete moron.  

9 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

People keep saying this that Tepper is forcing Young on the staff, but I haven't seen any evidence to support this supposition.

I do believe Canales was hired to see if h3 could turn Young into an NFL qb.  I don't doubt that he decides Bryce isn't ready and to go with the backup, then I think Tepper will allow him to do so.  I mean I know people here hate Tepper, but he can't be a complete moron.  

He wanted Bryce Young for an NFL team, and traded our future well being to satisfy his ignorance. 

That is close enough to being complete for me. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, strato said:

He wanted Bryce Young for an NFL team, and traded our future well being to satisfy his ignorance. 

Did he want Young, or was it a group decision?  Personally, I think the whole "Tepper forced the choice of Young" thought has been repeated so much that people believe it as fact despite the fact there is no actual evidence.    

Bryce Young got offensive help he needed via Panthers' draft - ESPN

The doubt had grown so much that a Charlotte bar and grill near Bank of America Stadium featured this past week a sign that said, "PLEASE LET THE COACH & GM PICK THIS YEAR''.

The implication was owner David Tepper, whom the bar owner referred to as "meddlesome,'' made the pick of Young, even though it was a group decision with then-general manager Scott Fitterer and then-coach Frank Reich.

Fitterer is gone, Reich is gone and we have to hope Tepper has learned his lesson.  

39 minutes ago, Iceup said:

I get it. It seems like a waste already and if we aren’t going to win but a few games why bother- take the L’s and give the team more options for success in the future…

I understand your reasoning, but I guess I’m too old and stubborn (limited view)to buy giving up and laying down today to maybe get ahead tomorrow. I’ll watch every game if we are trying to win — but i can’t do that if we aren’t. 

Keep Pounding I Guess

I get what you guys are saying as well but I remember that one extra win got us Brown instead of Herbert, one extra win got us Horn instead of two firsts (additional to the pick we’d go down to) and a 3rd from SF to trade up to 3rd and that going 6-6 with Wills meant we lost CMC, Moore and a high 2024 1st/2025 2nd to get Young.

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Did he want Young, or was it a group decision?  Personally, I think the whole "Tepper forced the choice of Young" thought has been repeated so much that people believe it as fact despite the fact there is no actual evidence.    

Fitterer is gone, Reich is gone and we have to hope Tepper has learned his lesson.  

Tepper is the boogeyman. All the predraft talk was Thomas Moore espousing the point guard stuff two months before the Tepper regurgitation and the happy couple Reich and Fitterer saying they were in lock step before and after the draft prep. Also, Fitterer was on record that he preferred Young the year before we drafted him so he had blinders on.

I’m sure Tepper agreed but I think since Reich and Fitterer are gone that he’s the easy guy to blame. Like you, I hope everyone has learned. I didn’t like the Morgan hire because he was too close to Fitterer and we heard he agreed with so much like not trading Burns.

10 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

After he fired Reich he stated he was 100% confident that Bryce was the right choice. We know why he fired Reich. 
We know he fired Fitterer but Fitterer could have been the one that told him we were a player away. That’s enough. 

Tepper signed up for it and ignored some voices, because how could there not have been voices when an amateur football fan can dissect it from literally a few minutes of that Pro Day tape. 

We are on the same side that poo really doesn’t much matter  Like we said a month ago about Bryce, we are going to find out soon enough. We did. 
We are going to find out about Tepper soon enough. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

22 minutes ago, strato said:

But to a degree it’s sort of a unique carve out to apply to Tepper that runs contrast to everything else about him 

Tepper literally makes decisions….and has zero problem going in a different direction. Thats essentially the description and definition of him in everything he is doing. He does it over and over.  Maybe Tepper was the final stamp on Bryce at the time.  But it’s not the Tepper way to be overly loyal to a decision just because at one time he thought it was good. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

But to a degree it’s sort of a a unique carve to apply to Tepper 

Tepper literally makes decisions….and has zero problem going in a different direction. Thats essentially the description and definition of him in everything he is doing. He does it over and over.  Maybe Tepper was the final stamp on Bryce at the time.  But it’s not the Tepper way to be overly loyal to a decision just because at one time he thought it was good. 

yeah…At some point even if he wanted BY and made call- I don’t think he’d be overly loyal to something losing this bad… unless losing helps him get something else he wants in some way. BY has a shelf life- I’m just not sure what it is… Yogurt or Canned corn?

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

But to a degree it’s sort of a unique carve out to apply to Tepper that runs contrast to everything else about him 

I don’t know what to say.
Everyone here knows he set his sights on a quarterback as soon as he graduated from owner’s school in year two.
And he went through them like rental cars. 

This QB, he fired a coach that wanted to bench him. 
The team obviously eschewed threatening him with competition even after an historically inept 1st year.

He hired a 2nd coach that was QB guy to help him.   

You tell me since I don’t seem to have anything but conspiracy theories about Tepper riding Bryce’s jock. 

If he fires Bryce tomorrow the history doesn’t change. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

If Canales doesn’t bench him I’m going to seriously question if he has the ability to be an NFL coach. To survive in that job you have to make decisions that benefit the team. Keeping Bryce in the game is disrespectful to the other 52 players who presumably want to win, along with your assistant coaches who want to actually win games to advance their careers. 

I agree with you but im willing to bet Canales may not be allowed to bench Bryce