• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We need a rebuild, not a retool

Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D.

I mean, what is there to tear down? The old players are veterans that'll be gone soon. We have absolutely no standout players besides Derrick Brown who is a Marty pick. I really do not agree with the notion that we never committed to a "real rebuild" as has been echoed on this forum a few times. We blew the team up in the 2020 offseason. Remember that Tepper note he sent out to PSL owners asking for patience that offseason? Our 2019 team was an attempt at a retool and we jettisoned most of those check-chasing veterans after it failed. A "retool" is taking an established, battle-tested (as in, successful on the field in the past) core and trying to infuse it with youth or well-known veterans. We tried that in 2019 and it failed. What we are looking at is a long, arduous rebuild no matter what Morgan says publicly. We have no core to "retool" around. 2020 up until we fired Rhule was an attempt at a rebuild. We just failed that horribly at it between the draft ineptitude, handing out of terrible contracts to bad or mediocre players and awful trades. But it was a rebuild. Just a pitiful attempt at one. 

We traded CMC for nothing in 2022 because the front office probably wanted to start over again. But then Wilks' 2nd half in 2022 happened and I believe made Tepper (as well as the FO) foolishly overestimate the roster and believe that we were just a few pieces away. Which resulted in the dumpster fire in 2023 with Tepper's all-star staff and the trade-up for Young. That was his attempt at winning. So this is rebuild attempt #2. So far it appears to be going even worse than the first one did which is quite impressive. Just no signs of any change but this time it's the same ol' WITHOUT any foundation from the previous regime to build on. Taking the same RAS projects that never work out in the draft. The same terrible cap management. The same doubling down on obvious mistakes. If it quacks like a duck... I mean...

We're basically the end result of the cupcake setting from Madden create-a-team. I mean an NFL roster really can't get much worse than this. But I'm sure ol' Dave'll find a way. I've learned never to doubt his ability to fug absolutely everything up. 

Edited by beo
  • Beer 2

yes this is the critical issue, we have misinterprted this team every year as being close to competing and yet somehow given away our best players to retool

Now we are left with a very talent depleted team

I will bang this drum all year but we need to trade the first overall pick to a QB needy team (this is a bad QB draft) just like Chicago did to us. Replete the defense this year

2026 We take Nico or Arch manning and have a war chest of picks from this year 

We won't be good till 2027 but we will have a path to success. Right now there is no path 

• Beer 2