• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Mother visited 3 Doctors in Florida and 4 in North Carolina before anyone cared

Shocker

12 hours ago, Shocker said:

Thanks man…unfortunately talking with her today it’s clear she will never come back mentally.  She was very upset we couldn’t go to dinner at the grill.  The grill was a place she went to back when she lived in Myrtle Beach 20 yrs ago.  She also told me her friends from New York came out of the closets and visited for a while today.  Very sad

It might be the meds she is on making her cognitive symptoms worse.  It might be a good idea to get someone in the know about medications and their interactions to check what meds the doctors have her on.  I have a family member who was having similar issues several months ago who had recently had a med change that caused her to see things that were not there and basically think she was living at a time of her life a few decades ago.  We got her off those meds and she is much better.

I was talking to a guy also several months ago who told me his wife (who was a long time nurse) was studying to be a nurse practitioner who specialized specifically in this - geriatric pharmacology.

• Pie 1

This is just one of a multitude of examples of my above post- something as innocuous as pepcid can cause symptoms.

Aging patients are also likely to be unaware that their confusion, for instance, could be caused by H2 receptor antagonists or muscle breakdown by statins. This could lead to a prescribing cascade, with more drugs being added to deal with other drug-induced symptoms.Geriatric Pharmacology: Medication Management for an Aging Population (news-medical.net)