• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce and the Dawg mentality

NAS

2 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

I see it as a positive in that they knew they were signing up for a multiple year rebuild.  The Brooks pick is proof of that. 

I don't have proof of this but I do believe they both also came in knowing that year 2 would be identifying the QB of the future. 

No doubt Canales has an advantage over Reich situationally. He has all the tape on Bryce playing against NFL defenses. Reich did not. They have all the advantage in that regard. 
and though I am not in the hugest hurry to make the call on him and am resigned to losing in that process, I could have passed on this whole ordeal. 

1 hour ago, NAS said:

It’s funny because that was the narrative on Stroud at Ohio State, that his receivers were wide open and made him look good. 

And if you really watched the film that wasn't the case. There is a whole highlight tape of him just throwing guys open when they are covered. Harrison Jr hasn't been the same guy since playing with Stroud. 

• Pie 4

9 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Mater Dei was so strategic on his family's behalf, he commuted there from Pasadena every day.  That was so brutal they probably took the 210 east to the 57 south to get there.  

When I lived out there, I had a few construction sites I managed at Caltech and also down near Costa Mesa.  I hated that drive so much...flames...on the side of my face...

It’s a shame this post won’t get the attention it deserves.

13 hours ago, Newtcase said:

In four years starting there Bryce only lost three games total. 

The vast majority of QBs in the NFL didn't lose a lot in high school.  Are you suggesting they did not face adversity either?  

Alabama was much the same story where Bryce only lost four games total in two years starting.

CJ Stroud only lost 4 games in 2 years starting at Ohio State.  Are you saying he hasn't faced adversity either?

Like, maybe Bryce Young just isn't a good QB?  Why do ya'll have to go so deep with it?  None of you know the work he's put in behind the scenes.  I seriously doubt a dude who is 5'10 made it as far as he did at QB without putting the work in.  You can face all the adversity you can handle and still be a bad QB. 

Don't get me wrong, sure he had some advantages that maybe other guys didn't have, but to act like he just skated through without doing anything just seems unfair.  Like we don't need to knock the man's work ethic or character or what he's had to do on his own end.

Edited by Mage

9 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

And if you really watched the film that wasn't the case. There is a whole highlight tape of him just throwing guys open when they are covered. Harrison Jr hasn't been the same guy since playing with Stroud. 

This 100%

Even with the great receivers he had, he still hit them in stride every time and threw into tight windows. All you have to do is watch his Rose bowl performance against Utah and you will quickly realize he is capable of making every NFL throw.

Pundits (the dumb ones) thought he was bad because he wasn't "mobile" and they thought he didn't do well under pressure. What these dumb pundits didn't realize is that he didn't need to scramble because of his elite throwing ability and did just fine under pressure. When he actually needed to run, like that Georgia playoff game, he is more than capable of running.

I still can't believe we passed on him and that he wasn't the slam dunk top rated QB by everyone going into the draft. It's not a good sign when these so-called supposed experts are even more clueless than I am at judging college talent...

• Pie 4

19 hours ago, ClawOn said:

To be fair Dan and Dave were saddled with him.   No one in the building thinks Bryce has the dawg mentality. Except his weird dad I guess. 

Can you imagine Young throwing down with someone like Josh Norman in practice? We went from the dawg of dawgs to someone with zero swag maybe negative swag.

• Beer 2

Aside from Bryce's physical limitations that have shown, the biggest issue I see is his mentality, his lack of aggression, his lack of confidence in himself and his lack of any sort of leadership abilities and just no edge or chip on his shoulder. Even when faced with adversity he does not seem to respond with anger or any sort of fire in him to go out and fight to prove them wrong or even attempt to lead. This is all most alarming to me. Football and most every sport is 90% mental and 10% physical this I swear no matter what it appears spectating. I've seen, played with and known guys who were the top 1% in red of physically gifted with supreme genetics in the world to be a pure dominant athlete but no attitude or fire inside at all and went nowhere even at the college level. I once played with a guy when I was a freshman who was a senior that was 6'7 350 pounds great athlete, strong as a sasquatch and body fat extremely low. A giant hulk of a guy at 22 years old and the dude could not even start on a very weak SEC team that had no O-lineman even come close to sniffing the NFL. He had no fire in him and was routinely pushed around by much smaller guys. Nice guy that looked like a great football player but couldn't play the game to save his life. Should have just tried out for the WWE after college. 

People disregard the mentality too much and it's all that matters. Bryce could have absolutely overcome his physical limitations if he has the strongest mind in the NFL. Unfortunately due to his severe physical limitations he would have had to have the strongest mind in the NFL just to make it but he still could have. His issues are not just outside in his physical stature and that is minor compared to his immense limitations inside of himself. He seems to be a very nice guy and the type of guy you would be okay if your daughter brought home but this alone does not make a QB leader with fire and a chip on his shoulder to prove he is the best with a gun slinger mentality that knows he can get it done in the NFL.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

On 9/13/2024 at 11:51 AM, MechaZain said:

Nah I liked that too. Leader sets the tone and Cam hated mediocrity. Bryce is playing like the biggest bust in NFL history and seems way too okay with that.

And he gives too much “Jesus Take The Wheel” vibes for me which I think speaks to the whole lack of adversity. He knows how to take accountability in a presser but he falls back on his trust in God that things will work out. I believe in a higher power too but He paves the way and it’s on you to do the walking.

https://x.com/sheena_marie3/status/1835413010606960729?s=46&t=xeIgh_-Vr2aKxBkBJdfnKA

Come on man lol

• Flames 1