• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce and the Dawg mentality

NAS

3 minutes ago, TN05 said:

It's something he and Jake both had in common. They had so much energy in the huddle and actually drove their teammates to play better.

They were so different all the way around, but they both had that.

I laughed at Jake's accent, and laughed at some of Cam's malaprops. Like, the Lion on Safari. What? Cam, lions don't go on safaris. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, ClawOn said:

To be fair Dan and Dave were saddled with him.   No one in the building thinks Bryce has the dawg mentality. Except his weird dad I guess. 

To be really fair….Canales was saddled with him. 

Dan Morgan could have just as easily been 100% part of the Bryce sales job as he could have been opposed to it.   To me it’s similar denialism we used when we blamed Rhule for  Fitterer being bad and that he was actually good.  He was never good.  And we have no actual evidence Dan was against Bryce.  I doubt Fitterer won the Bryce war with literally everyone against the move.  

• Pie 3

58 minutes ago, strato said:

Bryce seems pretty much 'silver spoon' to me. Privileged. Like, yep he had the good table manners to go with it. 

That isn't something I would really hold against him. But I see it.

He also is one of those kids that basically only played on super squads.  Transferred in high school to play on a super team.  Went to college and played on a super team.    To an extent, playing on a super team doesn’t require a superstar QB….requires a certain level of play to allow that freaks to be freaks around you.   See basically all Saban’s QBs.  Basically for over a decade they all were just good college QBs.   None ever went to the NFL and were great QBs when the playing field leveled out. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

• I was out for a power walk yesterday and I bumped into a neighbor who graduated from Ohio State (he lives beside a Penn State graduate, so I have fun with that).  He reminded me about the draft, "I remember you telling me that the Panthers need to draft Stroud but they were leaning Young.  I know you must be really pissed off right now."  I told him, "We are the only NFL team in the league that takes a juice box out to the huddle during time outs.  ...He is too short to ride 30% of the rides at Carowinds...he has one chicken wing for dinner...When he breaks a team rule he is not fined, but he is grounded.
Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:
  • I was out for a power walk yesterday and I bumped into a neighbor who graduated from Ohio State (he lives beside a Penn State graduate, so I have fun with that).  He reminded me about the draft, "I remember you telling me that the Panthers need to draft Stroud but they were leaning Young.  I know you must be really pissed off right now."  I told him, "We are the only NFL team in the league that takes a juice box out to the huddle during time outs.  ...He is too short to ride 30% of the rides at Carowinds...he has one chicken wing for dinner...When he breaks a team rule, he is not fined, but he is grounded.

You held that in a long time didn't you? 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Making him the starter without earning it.

Making him a captain while being one of the worst players and non vocal players on the team.

Sitting him out the pre season.

Bryce has never had to show his dawg mentality,  just like he hasn't had to do it threw his whole football career. He has never been in a situation where everything isnt already great around him, on the field and off. So Asking him to uplift things is just asking too much. 

The Captains are determined by player vote.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

He also is one of those kids that basically only played on super squads.  Transferred in high school to play on a super team.  Went to college and played on a super team.    To an extent, playing on a super team doesn’t require a superstar QB….requires a certain level of play to allow that freaks to be freaks around you.   See basically all Saban’s QBs.  Basically for over a decade they all were just good college QBs.   None ever went to the NFL and were great QBs when the playing field leveled out. 

They mentioned that on the charlotte  sports radio podcast. Bryce has been on a superteam his whole football career. He's never had to elevate anybody around him. 

Expecting him to do it finally when he get in the pros is just asking too much.

2 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

They mentioned that on the charlotte  sports radio podcast. Bryce has been on a superteam his whole football career. He's never had to elevate anybody around him. 

Yep,  they all elevated him.  Bama has never had QB play elevated those around them.   It’s pretty consistent.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

15 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

It’s funny because that was the narrative on Stroud at Ohio State, that his receivers were wide open and made him look good. 

Edited by NAS
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, strato said:

True, but they mounted up of their free will.

It would be great learn about any discussion about contingency plans during the hiring process. If Canales has that positive a mindset would he even go there? 

At some point there had to be "what I'd do for Bryce to get him well" like what he needs etc. I hope they had a plan B agreed on. 

I see it as a positive in that they knew they were signing up for a multiple year rebuild.  The Brooks pick is proof of that. 

I don't have proof of this but I do believe they both also came in knowing that year 2 would be identifying the QB of the future.