• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jay Gruden on Bryce Young: He looks small and plays small

7 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Am i the only one that things his problems have been more mental than physical

it looks like the game is being played faster than he plays

until last year he has been the best QB for his age pretty much his whole life, maybe im naive but I dont think all of a sudden he’s too small to compete. He was small for a high school QB and he was small for a college QB too

Partly yes. I suspect nerves are getting in the way. By all accounts, he plays better in practice and the preseason.

His size and arm strength are still a huge issue and I think he’a realized it.

11 hours ago, strato said:

I am sorry to whoever was a fan of Bryce Young for the NFL...  

They lost their minds. Supposed to be professionals. I can't accept that certain people didn't see this.

I don't know for sure who is to blame for leading the organization into that decision, but I hope they know. 

The crazy thing is he was the consensus #1 in the media frenzy leading up to the Draft.

I thought I was taking crazy pills. Everything he struggles with now was all over his film - weak arm, small, slow, couldn't see the middle of the field.

To me you pass on him for a more 'traditionally sized' QB and just hold your hands up if he lives up to the unsustainable hype. 

Instead we tried to be the smartest man in the room and went against all convention.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

11 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Imagine walking in a room with Stroud/AR/Levis/Bryce and leaving that room thinking the small midget is the right guy to lead your franchise.

Tepper is a fuggin joke!

Steichen shouldve been our HC and Stroud our QB. Both were obvious choices. We walked away with the worst possible options for both.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

The thing I feel about going with an offensive minded coach is (you will be) getting a team that is what people are calling soft. 
Finesse over toughness.  
That is my perception of offensive minded football teams. You aren’t going to get Tough from people who obsess over route concepts and poo, it just a more intellectual approach than a physical one. 

It is almost a given to me, and why I prefer (or tend to) defensive guys setting the tone. 

Edited by strato

15 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The crazy thing is he was the consensus #1 in the media frenzy leading up to the Draft.

I thought I was taking crazy pills. Everything he struggles with now was all over his film - weak arm, small, slow, couldn't see the middle of the field.

To me you pass on him for a more 'traditionally sized' QB and just hold your hands up if he lives up to the unsustainable hype. 

Instead we tried to be the smartest man in the room and went against all convention.

Yeah. It is sort of a crowd mentality. And people get caught up in it. I can’t think what that is called at the moment but acting crazy will do. 
Tepper was gonna outsmart those old dumb Luddites. 
This Luddite knew better.  

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

If we're replacing Bryce next year, it needs to be with a gap starter FA, not a first round rookie

This team has WAY too many holes right now, even if we are successful in drafting a rookie QB (which is less likely in a class that isn't supposed to be great to begin with), by the time we build a decent team around them, we'll need to sign them to a massive extension and lose out on the best SB opportunity.

We'd be putting yet another rookie QB in a position where they can't succeed.

Need to stop looking for the quick and immediate fix and build things up the right way, we need more quality pieces on this roster.  If we end up at #1, you trade back, compile assets, and start doing things the right way for a change.

It's not going to be fun during the early years of it all, but the team has tried to just skip that step of a rebuild and every year they keep trying to skip it, it just delays success even further down the line.  We still haven't even started that process as we did the opposite with the trade up to get Bryce, we gave away our assets for the worst QB in the league and we're still down what is looking like the #33 pick in the draft next year.

Tepper didn't start his finance business and immediately start making billions.  He had to build it up from the bottom, it took him years to do it, this is no difference except he thinks he can skip those early years for some stupid reason.

I understand what you're saying but I don't know that it works.  If you sign a gap starter then you probably win a few games and your pick goes from #1 to #9 or something like it seemed like we used to always get.  Then you don't have as many options on your qb for the future. 

14 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

I honestly don’t have an opinion on him yet

Who do you like?

I like Ewers and think this is the season where he needs to show his next level. Two things I like about him is going into Alabama last year and playing fantastic/winning and going into Michigan this year and doing the same. Hostile environments against teams with a lot of NFL talent on D.

He’s not perfect but last year was a big leap over 2022 so I like him a lot if he’s able to make another jump up in play. He’s also big enough with a solid arm.

3 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Fitterer was the king of this. Look at his drafts. It’s amazing how many guys fit in that try to be the smartest guy and find guys who no one else likes that we can look smart when they succeed. None of them did and thus you look like the worst GM in NFL history.

• Pie 2