• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Notebook: Bryce Young on reestablishing chemistry with Johnson in Week 2

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What baffled me is how all the media pretty much acknowledged that he had all these physical shortcomings but still convinced themselves that Bryce's mind would be more than enough to compensate. Like... what?

Then fans here would post highlight reels and I'm like, this is what you're hanging your hat on? Actually look at the entirety of the play. There's ten yards of clean field in front of Bryce on nearly every highlight. A WR with five yards of separation on the other end. Hardly anything showing Bryce making plays under pressure throwing to decently covered receivers. THAT is what you have to be able to do in the NFL. That's the typical play in the NFL.

College tape is about all they have but it is against college guys so you have to account for that when you watch. I didn't watch much and don't remember if I caught on to the dropback meander and tippy toe until he was a pro. I saw people say about the LSU game having some nuggets, haven't watched it.  But the Pro Day issues were obvious immediately and with all the other questions I was just... out. All the way.

I was thinking of it like a horse race and picking a long shot and going all in; if you lose we are walking home. Or to the homeless shelter. 

Bryce's college tape honestly always looked to me like the classic "very good college player that won't translate to the NFL". Very little he did on the college field looked like it would translate to the NFL, both from a physical tool set standpoint and a stylistic standpoint. His physical tools were all subpar and dropping back 10 yards behind your OL so that you can see over the line just puts way too much pressure on your OTs against NFL edge rushers. It won't work. I just don't know why so many people couldn't or wouldn't see it.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bryce's college tape honestly always looked to me like the classic "very good college player that won't translate to the NFL". Very little he did on the college field looked like it would translate to the NFL, both from a physical tool set standpoint and a stylistic standpoint. His physical tools were all subpar and dropping back 10 yards behind your OL so that you can see over the line just puts way too much pressure on your OTs against NFL edge rushers. It won't work. I just don't know why so many people couldn't or wouldn't see it.

Yeah the whole "build the interior line" thing that worked for Brees is just not working. He had a pocket to step into numerous times on Sunday. I think there's multiple reasons why he isn't willing to step up in there and none of them are good. From just being flustered to actually physically not being able to see what's going on when he gets too close to giant linemen 

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah the whole "build the interior line" thing that worked for Brees is just not working. He had a pocket to step into numerous times on Sunday. I think there's multiple reasons why he isn't willing to step up in there and none of them are good. From just being flustered to actually physically not being able to see what's going on when he gets too close to giant linemen 

Well, that is what we rationalized in FA time, they will be there for the RBs and whoever plays QB. 

That Brees laziness got to me to the point I had to start getting numbers and poo together to illustrate that it may not be the best comp.