• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School - Week 1 vs New Orleans

SetfreexX

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Just one game?  This is season 2 my man.

I look back to how quickly we moved on from Matt Corral. I know Matt had other personal things he was dealing with as well but strictly talking about his on the field play it is fair to say Bryce Young the first overall pick has looked as bad or worse than Matt Corral on the whole. One game against the Packers doesn't change anything.

Edited by frankw

10 minutes ago, Tbe said:

What is this footwork????

Rolling his ankle to make a throw.

And a jump throw? Jeeez

IMG_0319.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

He was doing the jump throw in shorts in camp when the first camp confidential video was released. When this was pointed out some folks tried to run others off the huddle in response.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 3

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

He was doing the jump throw in shorts in camp when the first camp confidential video was released. When this was pointed out some folks tried to run others off the huddle in response.

"Maybe you should find another team to vote for" 

and, gotta say, I watched Arizona and Murray, he is crazy little also. I don't want any of that small mighty mouse demographic at QB in the NFL. 

Edited by strato

Bryce Young is, by every account from those I know who've been around him, immensely pleasant and professional. I do not think players were strong-armed into voting him for captain, nor do I think that vote was rigged. He's more liked than people want to believe.

But this guy didn't start out great in the NFL, and he's regressed to sub-backup level. Awful footwork, no accuracy, poor decision-making. Didn't help a couple of his throws were to WRs (David Moore) who are not NFL-caliber WRs, but there are so many "Dude, you have to make that play" plays that it's ridiculous. I really saw improvement in a couple games down the stretch last year but it's like after Green Bay, he just kinda gave up and quit trying to improve. Then he comes out and plays well in the preseason finale -- but it was a smokescreen.

Time to go pick another bust.

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

Matt Corral would probably look like a stud in this offense.

I don't know about that, he might look okay.

I was thinking though, of Vinnie (Vinny?) Testaverde getting off his couch at 42 or something and throwing bombs back in 2007. Old washed up off the couch would run this offense. 

3 hours ago, Basbear said:

Bama had the same 6 5" 330 dudes in front of him. Hes playing like those bama games never happen and he just stepped onto a football. The one thing that got him drafted, seems to be the main issue-mentally he looked shocked. 

No. He ran around a lot at Alabama. He wasn’t asked to make throws on time, in tight windows. He was given one read, and then a scramble drill would ensue. However when you play with two first round receivers, a lot of your lack of ability is masked. everything people said was a positive in terms of his play making outside of the pocket, I saw as a negative. It’s only a positive if you’re making plays within the framework of the offense and then go outside of it when needed; he didn’t do that at Alabama. 

I watch enough college football to be able to compare how players would be if they were put on different teams. I’d actually take App State’s QB at Alabama over Bryce. I’d take him in the 4th or 5th round next year as a developmental guy in the NFL. 

I also said, in 2023, that I would only draft Bryce in the 3rd round or later. The risk wasn’t worth the reward and not only did we risk drafting him, we absolutely destroyed our future by trading away assets for him. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I was willing to give him a chance this season, but he has gotten worse.  Time to give up on him.  Last year people weren't getting open. This year we have guys getting open and he is either missing or not seeing them.

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, frankw said:

I've accepted the jumping thing, erratic footwork, strange parallel to LOS drop is not going to end.  It's part of his "technique".  And it's the most damaging component to his entire game, as much as his size.  For some reason, no coach wants to correct it because there's this notion that you can work with the backyard style to an extent and dropbacks and throwing motion doesn't need to be perfect.  But Mahomes and a few others are exceptions to the rule IMO.  

He's the most compelling case that tells me this: the further you are outside of prototypical modern QB parameters, the more you actually need to execute IN-structure and have fundamentals/technique as sound as possible. 

This is why the biggest mistake coaches have made with him since HS is not getting him sound fundamentally while he learned to be all loose-y goose-y outside the pocket.  This is also why Kyler can look bad, but not all the time.  Because he's got a cannon, because he still has some burners.  It's also why Russ has fallen apart.  

When you're not only an outlier physically/tools wise, but your game (at least in college) was best out of structure, then how do you expect to execute at a fundamental level in the NFL?  You can't.  You need to operate at a high level, in the pocket, and be fundamentally sound to execute and he simply can't do it.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1