• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Waldman on Panthers offense

15 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I noticed the miscommunication when the play happened.  What we don't know is how late in the play clock we were--for some Reason, Bryce likes to take it down.  I think we should get to the LOS and set with over 5 seconds, giving you time to check out of this or that.  When you are struggling to beat the clock--the defense knows it.  But Bryce could clearly see the advantage out wide and the disadvantage at the LOS.  Why did professionals not execute this play for a big gain?

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I hear you but that is because Russ is a selfish cornball not the scheme. The one thing Bryce has going is his teammates like everyone else have bought in on him being a Good Guy.

Bryce being a 'good guy' and therefore deserves support is like saying you should go see that quack doctor because he's got a nice personality. Professional competence should always be the first, second, and third consideration. Everything else is bullsh!t. Don't believe me? Deshaun Watson still has a job. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, pantherj said:

We're looking at a career backup QB and we traded the farm for him. Fitt truly was one of the all time worst GM's in NFL history.

Bryce ain't even fit to be on the practice squad. He might make it as a 3rd stringer in the Arena Football League someday if he really, really works hard at it. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

They just spent 150 million on OGs to run behind, you can even throw behind them or should be able to. Their D needs the O to run a lot this year apparently. They could run behind that line with mediocre QB play.

Worse would the team breaking around him. Watch this about Wilson and tell me there is no danger in allowing things to get out of hand with the QB. Link. That was with a QB that could get into the playoffs. 

I don't think you are taking into account internal pressure last year. Tepper and the game of thrones they had going on. I don't think Reich wanted to play school ball and just checked out when he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted over and over along with all the other things going on personally. 

At this point why not just play Young another game or two to see if anything changes or can be tweaked and then sit him if not? If an over the hill guy like Dalton can make that offense look good then Young should be done. What they spent on him is moot, sunk cost and doesn't change anything at this point. The deep ball is a joke and he can't hit open guys. The run game can't get going because it was blitz city and any opponent we see should be doing that. He looks good playing his school ball when the D is in prevent/garbage time/gas off the throttle. It literally takes a team like GB last year who couldn't get pressure against that line to make it look like it will work. The real question is when will everyone acknowledge these things and just make the obvious move?

2 whole pies. And a beer. We are probably right in thinking that replacing him and letting Dalton operate would herald the end of Bryce. 

Let's do it. 

Johnstonny, I am not Jesus by a stretch. But I honestly had no animosity towards Bryce in 2023 when people were throwing around the Hater tag if you did not believe. It was the people on his side here and their abuse that was pissing me off a lot. 

But now it really is turning into I just do not like seeing him at all and want him out of my sight, like forever, if he does not do a 180 by October.

And right now today, I feel like, if I never saw him again, good. Knowing (should have said: I know) that is emotional and rationally I should give him an 18th chance, but I just don't want to any more. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I hear you but that is because Russ is a selfish cornball not the scheme. The one thing Bryce has going is his teammates like everyone else have bought in on him being a Good Guy.

Ive watched the NFL for 40+ years and I can tell you with 100% certainty that bryce being a good guy isnt going to mean poo to his teammates if they dont start winning and winning stat.  2 years of being completely embarrassed is like an albatross to alpha dogs in the nfl.   What in the hell do you think Diontae johnson is going to do to him if Young keeps laughing after throwing picks? 

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Anyone disparaging Canales after that inside job by Bryce isn’t paying attention. The schemes were good. Receivers were running open. Bryce just can’t execute. 

His O is fine. Nothing ground breaking but it works with a QB that can step up and throw the ball. Geno, baker, it's not a mystery. They also put most of their offseason recourses into building it up.

Him as a HC and the state of the team is his biggest issue. That is an entirely different conversation. 

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Ive watched the NFL for 40+ years and I can tell you with 100% certainty that bryce being a good guy isnt going to mean poo to his teammates if they dont start winning and winning stat.  2 years of being completely embarrassed is like an albatross to alpha dogs in the nfl.   What in the hell do you think Diontae johnson is going to do to him if Young keeps laughing after throwing picks? 

Exactly.  Diontae is gonna have to take a cheap deal elsewhere if this year bombs for him.  He's in a contract year.  You gotta know that he's trying to have a big season statistically.

5 minutes ago, strato said:

2 whole pies. And a beer. We are probably right in thinking that replacing him and letting Dalton operate would herald the end of Bryce. 

Let's do it. 

Johnstonny, I am not Jesus by a stretch. But I honestly had no animosity towards Bryce in 2023 when people were throwing around the Hater tag if you did not believe. It was the people on his side here and their abuse that was pissing me off a lot. 

But now it really is turning into I just do not like seeing him at all and want him out of my sight, like forever, if he does not do a 180 by October.

And right now today, I feel like, if I never saw him again, good. Knowing that is emotional and rationally I should give him an 18th chance, but I just don't want to any more. 

It's happening and Tepper may force it way longer. I tuned out last year because I couldn't watch it and it had to take it's course. This year the excuses are done and something will give eventually. DC isn't an old HC already making retainment plans. I would be thrilled to see him say fug it and bench Young, but again too soon for that. 

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am sure it is like this in other fields, but what I did for my living was normally done with 3 to 7 or 8 person teams. 

I had friends in the business that I would not work with because I had higher standards and ability, and knew that I would eventually personalize it and lose them as friends because of my frustration. Because it happened a couple of times.

So yeah there is no doubt, in a team environment, the respect thing is built around what you do to help make things smooth for everybody. Which is performance based primarily; social relationships are secondary. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's happening and Tepper may force it way longer. I tuned out last year because I couldn't watch it and it had to take it's course. This year the excuses are done and something will give eventually. DC isn't an old HC already making retainment plans. I would be thrilled to see him say fug it and bench Young, but again too soon for that. 

Yeah that is the rational conclusion. Like it or not. 

• Beer 1