• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Waldman on Panthers offense

46 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I don’t think it’s that simple though. Defenses will scheme to contain him and make him throw in the middle of the field.

Defences don't scheme against him - he can't complete routine NFL throws. They just play their base packages and laugh.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I think by the end of the year, 47-10 is gonna be one of the closest final scores. And Bryce is throwing more than two interceptions on Sunday. Probably four. He'll get the hook around Week 7 and there's a distinct possibility he's got 0 TD and 14 INT by then, and a slight chance he ends the season with a QB rating below 30. And I like Bryce -- I wanted him to succeed. But it isn't going to happen. 

That said, he'd go for 400 yards and 3 TDs against this defense.

16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would be surprised if he gets benched this season.

He wont make it the entire season one way or another. He cant read a D and is terrible at spotting blitzes. How many times is he gonna be a deer in headlights and get trucked?   

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, fanpanther said:

The reason reich and canalas offensses look so similiar is bc they both had b young.  He has such a limited skill set limts the plays they can use greatly.  Basically coach killa

His first victim was declared a suicide.  Let's see if he gets away with it again.

• Beer 2

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

He runs 5 yards back out of his pocket which makes blocking for the OTs impossible. He knows it and there is no better option for him so he keeps doing it.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner here! Exactly the problem. Big men playing tackle can only backpedal for so long at such a speed. If you are already in shotgun, and THEN begin backpedaling, you are going to outrun where your tackles can effectively block to AND put yourself right in the lane where a defensive end can just jet straight back. Step forward, let the tackles send the blockers back and around you.

He doesn't trust his line, doesn't understand the physics and is trying, more than anything, to get enough distance to see the field. None of this works in our team's favor and very little of it is fixable. 

Once upon a time I wanted us to draft Timmy Chang, the guy was a touchdown throwing machine for Hawai'i. We didn't take him, no one did. Because Timmy was about Bryce's size. I thought it was unfair and stupid to pass up on his skills because of that. I was wrong. So very wrong. Timmy is now the HC at Hawai'i and has a good program there. Bryce should take note.

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, Coheed said:

If he continues playing like he did Sunday I don’t see any way he makes it to the bye without being benched.

theres a fine line between seeing what your guy has and absolutely torpedoing any and all team morale or buy in, and last Sundays performance was firmly in the “nothing good can be taken from this”.

He should get more than one game this season to show if he can make any improvements, but it’ll be hard to give him too many weeks if he continues turning in performances that actively burn any remaining good will he has.

I pretty much went from cautiously optimistic to “this season is fuged and Bryce is absolutely cooked” in less than 5 minutes on Sunday. Week one is notorious for over reactions but for the team to spend the entire offseason to put Bryce in a better situation and for him to come out and give his worst performance of his career by far is just….whoof. There’s bad, and then there’s whatever the fug that was 

I don't think Tepper is gonna let that happen this year.

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner here! Exactly the problem. Big men playing tackle can only backpedal for so long at such a speed. If you are already in shotgun, and THEN begin backpedaling, you are going to outrun where your tackles can effectively block to AND put yourself right in the lane where a defensive end can just jet straight back. Step forward, let the tackles send the blockers back and around you.

He doesn't trust his line, doesn't understand the physics and is trying, more than anything, to get enough distance to see the field. None of this works in our team's favor and very little of it is fixable. 

Once upon a time I wanted us to draft Timmy Chang, the guy was a touchdown throwing machine for Hawai'i. We didn't take him, no one did. Because Timmy was about Bryce's size. I thought it was unfair and stupid to pass up on his skills because of that. I was wrong. So very wrong. Timmy is now the HC at Hawai'i and has a good program there. Bryce should take note.

The small guys have to have enough speed to create space or they are easy meat in the NFL. Even then it's such an uphill battle. Wilson did it until his speed dropped off and he is toast. Murray is all physical and a waste of a 2nd contract, what a waste of great WRs he has had. I don't know what the actual number is but there is a height that is needed to run a full offense. 5'10' isn't it

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but Bryce isnt going to "figure it out".  He doesnt have the physical attributes to be a nfl qb.  he just doesnt and he has too many ingrained  bad habits that he simply refuses to change.  Hes toast

piggy backing off this: He has figured it out. However what he's figured out just isn't going to work, or is working, for this team and league. 

• Beer 1

52 minutes ago, Coheed said:

If he continues playing like he did Sunday I don’t see any way he makes it to the bye without being benched.

theres a fine line between seeing what your guy has and absolutely torpedoing any and all team morale or buy in, and last Sundays performance was firmly in the “nothing good can be taken from this”.

He should get more than one game this season to show if he can make any improvements, but it’ll be hard to give him too many weeks if he continues turning in performances that actively burn any remaining good will he has.

I pretty much went from cautiously optimistic to “this season is fuged and Bryce is absolutely cooked” in less than 5 minutes on Sunday. Week one is notorious for over reactions but for the team to spend the entire offseason to put Bryce in a better situation and for him to come out and give his worst performance of his career by far is just….whoof. There’s bad, and then there’s whatever the fug that was 

This right here. As I said before I was expecting him to be a lil better but not enough to change my opinion. But for him to be significantly WORSE has even thrown me off.

Bryce has been way worse in the league then what I thought he was gonna be to the point he might not make it threw his second year and CJ Stroud has been way better earlier than what I expected. I thought individually stroud would eventually work his way up to a top qb in the league. Wasn't expecting mvp talks by his second year.

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

\Worse would the team breaking around him. Watch this about Wilson and tell me there is no danger in allowing things to get out of hand with the QB. Link. That was with a QB that could get into the playoffs.

I hear you but that is because Russ is a selfish cornball not the scheme. The one thing Bryce has going is his teammates like everyone else have bought in on him being a Good Guy.

Edited by MechaZain
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I hear you but that is because Russ is a selfish cornball not the scheme. The one thing Bryce has going is his teammates like everyone else have bought in on him being a Good Guy.

It turned when it cost them a SB. Guys started to speak up and had to be moved.

No one wants to be embarrassed. Johnson is in a contract year. The D will be pissed about how poorly the O is helping. That's where the friction comes from here vs what went down in Seattle. 

Completely different reasons but it could get ugly here. It's that bad and has been for way too long. Hell they could just give up, not sure we haven't seen a preview of that already. 

42 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The small guys have to have enough speed to create space or they are easy meat in the NFL. Even then it's such an uphill battle. Wilson did it until his speed dropped off and he is toast. Murray is all physical and a waste of a 2nd contract, what a waste of great WRs he has had. I don't know what the actual number is but there is a height that is needed to run a full offense. 5'10' isn't it

I think it’s 6’1” - 6’2”. Brees and Mahomes.

• Beer 2