• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Waldman on Panthers offense

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but Bryce isnt going to "figure it out".  He doesnt have the physical attributes to be a nfl qb.  he just doesnt and he has too many ingrained  bad habits that he simply refuses to change.  Hes toast

I'm still full of hope(honestly, for a lot of things, even non-Panther things).  Later in life, I've become more of an optimist.  But to each their own.  

I will say my hope with Bryce has gone from a 75 down to a 25 in a week...so not much more to lose LOL =P

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

He isn't fast enough for that. His runs worked because they were not at all concerned about his ability and they were not blitzing. It also forces the play to one side which the D would just adjust for, takes any help from the oline away and allows an easy blitz (he obviously doesn'thandle CB blitzs well). There isn't a good option and anything you come up with can be put into a corner quickly.

He was never fast though. He was elusive, allegedly, and good at picking up yards when plays broke down.

My thing is why not try it at this point? It can’t get worse than this. You sold the farm for the guy. Design the offense for him and if it doesn’t translate to the NFL you know there’s no hope for him.

I didn’t understand that about Reich either. It was like he was hellbent on showing the world that Young couldn’t cut it as a standup pocket passer. If he had schemed for Bryce and just let him fail if he couldn’t execute it he may still be coaching. 

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

He was never fast though. He was elusive, allegedly, and good at picking up yards when plays broke down.

My thing is why not try it at this point? It can’t get worse than this. You sold the farm for the guy. Design the offense for him and if it doesn’t translate to the NFL you know there’s no hope for him.

I didn’t understand that about Reich either. It was like he was hellbent on showing the world that Young couldn’t cut it as a standup pocket passer. If he had schemed for Bryce and just let him fail if he couldn’t execute it he may still be coaching. 

I don’t think it’s that simple though. Defenses will scheme to contain him and make him throw in the middle of the field.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, frankw said:

Yeah I'm not falling into these traps.

Everyone loved Canales after that preseason drive against the Bills. Now we're talking about him like he's Reich.

Bryce Young just is not an NFL QB.

Lmaooooo...which you knew was coming.

• Beer 3

I don't think we saw what the offense was supposed to be because the QB can't fuging play well enough to execute it.

We have heard very clearly, if we were listening, about tailoring the offense to what the QB likes to do. What he is able to do. Which, very apparently, is not much.

That cutting the field in half for him... no. That's raising the white flag. Good lord I won't even watch replays of that crap. 

• Pie 4

9 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I don’t think it’s that simple though. Defenses will scheme to contain him and make him throw in the middle of the field.

If they crowd the middle you dump it off to a screen or take a deep shot. Every defensive scheme comes with a consequence and the offense has to predict and exploit that. That’s what playcalling is all about. It’s high level rock paper scissors and we’re throwing rock every time when our guy can barely make a fist. 

30 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

-snipping this out-

Yeah, I think that is your rational mind speaking. You are probably well adjusted and don't bulldoze ex boss' homes and stuff like that.

Would Tepper have accepted that? I doubt it.

I think when they took Bryce, Frank just felt betrayed and fuged over and knew how it was going to play out with this QB.

I get it. If he wanted to run a college offense, he would have looked for a college job. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

If they crowd the middle you dump it off to a screen or take a deep shot. Every defensive scheme comes with a consequence and the offense has to predict and exploit that. That’s what playcalling is all about. It’s high level rock paper scissors and we’re throwing rock every time when our guy can barely make a fist. 

Can't take a deep shot if he is sailing it out of bounds lol

• Beer 2

35 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

They just spent 150 million on OGs to run behind, you can even throw behind them or should be able to. Their D needs the O to run a lot this year apparently. They could run behind that line with mediocre QB play.

Worse would the team breaking around him. Watch this about Wilson and tell me there is no danger in allowing things to get out of hand with the QB. Link. That was with a QB that could get into the playoffs. 

I don't think you are taking into account internal pressure last year. Tepper and the game of thrones they had going on. I don't think Reich wanted to play school ball and just checked out when he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted over and over along with all the other things going on personally. 

At this point why not just play Young another game or two to see if anything changes or can be tweaked and then sit him if not? If an over the hill guy like Dalton can make that offense look good then Young should be done. What they spent on him is moot, sunk cost and doesn't change anything at this point. The deep ball is a joke and he can't hit open guys. The run game can't get going because it was blitz city and any opponent we see should be doing that. He looks good playing his school ball when the D is in prevent/garbage time/gas off the throttle. It literally takes a team like GB last year who couldn't get pressure against that line to make it look like it will work. The real question is when will everyone acknowledge these things and just make the obvious move?

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would be surprised if he gets benched this season.

No idea yet and it's still too early for them to make that call. And getting hid on IR is the same thing to me. It's a big test for DC and DM. The mystery is over and I just don't see anyone getting a pass for much longer at this rate. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would be surprised if he gets benched this season.

If he continues playing like he did Sunday I don’t see any way he makes it to the bye without being benched.

theres a fine line between seeing what your guy has and absolutely torpedoing any and all team morale or buy in, and last Sundays performance was firmly in the “nothing good can be taken from this”.

He should get more than one game this season to show if he can make any improvements, but it’ll be hard to give him too many weeks if he continues turning in performances that actively burn any remaining good will he has.

I pretty much went from cautiously optimistic to “this season is fuged and Bryce is absolutely cooked” in less than 5 minutes on Sunday. Week one is notorious for over reactions but for the team to spend the entire offseason to put Bryce in a better situation and for him to come out and give his worst performance of his career by far is just….whoof. There’s bad, and then there’s whatever the fug that was 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 5