• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

After a rewatch of the game… is anyone weirdly confident about the future?

jb2288

2 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I mean, if it turns out that Bryce is THE problem and the solution is finding the right replacement in next year's draft then there is reason for optimism. But it's way too early to tell if that's the case (for good and for bad). And with Tepper's track record I don't know that optimism is on the menu.

It's too early in your mind to know if Bryce is the problem? 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

34 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Let's see how the next few weeks go. I'm about ready to just give up on this season already but they may surprise me. I do think our defense is going to be historically bad this year though 

I think you should consider going ahead and giving it up for the season. 

I do agree that there could be some kind of improvement in the QB. No one is really that fuging horrible. Right?

I personally believe everyone is overreacting.

While it is concerning that Bryce threw 2 picks and his demeanor seemed to be defeated, I don't necessarily believe, offensively, that we are that bad.

Our O-Line played extremely well, and will likely be aided in the future by a better rushing attack (58 yards, even the worst rushing attack, per game, in the league last year was 89.8 yards, so it only goes up from here). Coach Canales also puts a major emphasis on taking care of the football, and has proven his ability to do so at Seattle, and in Tampa, where they finished top 10 last season in both interceptions thrown and fumbles lost. The turnovers this game were uncharacteristic of a Canales offense, and forced our defense into tough situations.

Something else nobody is really considering is we had the most turnover of any team in the league last year. We were top 5 in free agent spending, signing an entirely new starting O-Line, 3 new starting edge rushers, drafting and trading for 2 new starting receivers, drafting a new starting TE, signing two new starting corners, hired an entirely new coaching staff, and we also have two captains that playing for the first time in since returning from season ending injuries last year (Jaycee and Shaq).

And people are wondering why we looked so terrible week one, and are already calling for the coaches and QB's head.

Having said that, it still seems as though this may still be a rough year, but I don't think we're as bad as everyone believes right now. Everyone needs to take a deep breath, and relax. Time will fix these things.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Nice post and agree with much, but we actually ARE as bad as people think we are right now. 

8 games of working together? Yeah, completely expect improvement. 

But the offense wasn't that bad outside of the QB. Who was holding him back? 

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Panthers Addict said:

I personally believe everyone is overreacting.

While it is concerning that Bryce threw 2 picks and his demeanor seemed to be defeated, I don't necessarily believe, offensively, that we are that bad.

Our O-Line played extremely well, and will likely be aided in the future by a better rushing attack (58 yards, even the worst rushing attack, per game, in the league last year was 89.8 yards, so it only goes up from here). Coach Canales also puts a major emphasis on taking care of the football, and has proven his ability to do so at Seattle, and in Tampa, where they finished top 10 last season in both interceptions thrown and fumbles lost. The turnovers this game were uncharacteristic of a Canales offense, and forced our defense into tough situations.

Something else nobody is really considering is we had the most turnover of any team in the league last year. We were top 5 in free agent spending, signing an entirely new starting O-Line, 3 new starting edge rushers, drafting and trading for 2 new starting receivers, drafting a new starting TE, signing two new starting corners, hired an entirely new coaching staff, and we also have two captains that playing for the first time in since returning from season ending injuries last year (Jaycee and Shaq).

And people are wondering why we looked so terrible week one, and are already calling for the coaches and QB's head.

Having said that, it still seems as though this may still be a rough year, but I don't think we're as bad as everyone believes right now. Everyone needs to take a deep breath, and relax. Time will fix these things.

nobody is calling for the coaches head nicole, dont tell us to relax and we are not as bad as everyone believes when the shitty ass saints just beat our ass.  30-3 in the first half.

23 hours ago, jb2288 said:

For the context of this throw out Tepper, just think purely football players, coaches, and our ability to get them via draft, cap, FA, etc. I don’t know how to explain this coming off a 37 point loss but a rewatch made me feel much better. We are going to be awful this year and get the #1 pick. Bryce has completely lost it mentally, there’s no fix when you get that look he had after his second pick. D Brown is out for the season, zero talent at RB until week 5 at minimum, we don’t have a second NFL quality end, and our secondary is a joke. 

For the future - Our OL looked great. We have zero talent currently at RB but with Brooks coming back I think we can be a 100+ per game rushing team later in the season. Our WRs were getting separation and being schemed open. I go ahead and extend Dionate if we can do it, he is a borderline #1 and won’t show out numbers wise this year because of our QB situation so hopefully can get him somewhat reasonably priced. Leggette looked good for his first game. Mingo even looked worthy of being a legit #3 if he can hold on to the damn ball. IF Brooks is worthy of his draft spot, this offense is a plug and play for a new QB and hopefully Canales gets his say on if that is Ewers, Dart, Sanders, or Beck. All those dudes will have a 1st round grade and I’ll give Morgan the benefit of doubt and say he will work with Canales to pick the right one. The defense will be a challenge next year as well, but I imagine we take a DE or CB with the Rams 2nd we got and then fill the other spot in FA. We will be in great shape cap wise next year finally getting all this dead money from Shitterer off the books and can build the defense back up quick with a few strategic FA moves balancing long term vs 1 year rentals. 

Coaching wise - Canales impressed me. Plays were there, we just did not execute. Yes it’s super early, but I think he can be the guy. Kind of nice for him he gets 1 full year to be a rookie HC with no expectations, there is just nothing he can do if Bryce is as mentally gone as he showed Sunday. Let him work out rookie HC issues with no pressure this year (he has his scapegoat we all know it) and come out firing next year with his guy. 

There’s hope…. Right guys? 

We have a perfect set-up to have a plug and play QB taken at number one overall. I trust Canales to pick the right guy but I don’t trust Tepper to just stay on a beach and stay out of the picture. 

16 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

We have a perfect set-up to have a plug and play QB taken at number one overall. I trust Canales to pick the right guy but I don’t trust Tepper to just stay on a beach and stay out of the picture. 

I think one thing going for us is there’s no sure thing #1 QB this year. I could be remembering incorrectly but I think Bryce was pretty much the clear cut #1 going into his last year at Alabama and never let that go. All teams had him #1 it wasn’t just us. 

this year, besides the media trying to push Sanders, there really is no clear cut. It’s all a crapshoot anyway, just take one and let’s roll 

23 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

You have to give it time and see.

Would you believe Brandon Beane was a Hurney/Gettleman under study? No you wouldn’t which is why you have to give people time to make a name.

Yes, but both Hurney and Gettleman had a lot of upside. Gettleman was pretty good at scouting talent, but his demise was his complete lack of people skills. He pissed off all the players with his antics. 

Fitt just flat out sucked at everything and Morgan was a part of that scouting. 

Edited by 33inNC
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

Yes, but both Hurney and Gettleman had a lot of upside. Gettleman was pretty good at scouting talent, but his demise was his complete lack of people skills. He pissed off all the players with his antics. 

Fitt just flat out sucked at everything and Morgan was a part of that scouting. 

Gettleman showed so much promise when he got here. That was over pretty quickly with me but I loved his 1st draft. 

edit: I hated his WR philosophy. Actually, right now, we still need a good WR drafting employee and we have a couple guys that have the WR background. Legette looked pretty good his first game too, so that is promising.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:28 PM, BeenPounding said:

Bryce was a mess yesterday...I PRAY it was a one off, but..... we all likely know better.

On defense, we basically just swapped our strength for our weakness last year.  Last year we were horrible stopping the run up the middle.  Last game, they attacked the edge.  Welp...

Growth, I'm watching for nothing but growth.  That is the victory this year.

One off?? Did you miss last season?