• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did Tepper ‘meddle’ this past offseason?!?

TheBigKat

I know everyone is pissed at this guy, we’re about to go 8 seasons without playoffs or semblance of hope

it was painfully obvious last offseason he pushed for the #1 pick with a lopsided trade then compounded that error by in essence forcing Gerber to be the #1 pick.

But this offseason, I haven’t heard much rumblings about him. So while the team is in total disarray is there a possibility he has learned from his major F up that football isn’t stocks and you can’t pick winners from charts and analytics and this is the first offseason he allowed football guys (Morgan) to do football things

1 minute ago, TheBigKat said:

In what way do you think?

I’ve heard nothing this offseason to suggest it

There is no telling. I just know that someone who has a history of micromanagement as their style of mangement rarely ever changes, especially at his age.

Now, that can also happen with someone in a new position but he has been an owner long enough that it should have changed already.

It's just who he is.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

I know everyone is pissed at this guy, we’re about to go 8 seasons without playoffs or semblance of hope

it was painfully obvious last offseason he pushed for the #1 pick with a lopsided trade then compounded that error by in essence forcing Gerber to be the #1 pick.

But this offseason, I haven’t heard much rumblings about him. So while the team is in total disarray is there a possibility he has learned from his major F up that football isn’t stocks and you can’t pick winners from charts and analytics and this is the first offseason he allowed football guys (Morgan) to do football things

I'm sure something is going to come out

^^^

For example, I wonder if they're willing to run this back.  

spacer.png

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Does being a terrible at hiring and managing count because it's an obvious yes. Morgan and DC wouldn't be here otherwise. See Caldwell in the coaching search to cancel out the consultants as an easy example.

• Pie 1

After preseason game 1 Dave Canales was asked why he played starters in Tampa but not in Carolina.  He calmly stated that Tampa had a QB competition and Carolina didn't.  "We know who our guy is here."

I just don't see any scenario where a new coach with control over this choice would make Bryce the defacto starter after what we saw last year unless it was mandated when he was hired.  

So yes, I think Tepper meddled by only considering coaches that were onboard with project Bryce.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 5

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Does being a terrible at hiring and managing count because it's an obvious yes. Morgan and DC wouldn't be here otherwise. See Caldwell in the coaching search to cancel out the consultants as an easy example.

Its bigger than that... google "Executive leaves Tepper sports" and see how many diff stories there are.  Hes a friggin nightmare to work for... these are dreams sports jobs and the turnover rate is crazy over there.   I know someone that has to deal with him on a regular basis and by all accounts he's an absolute a-hole. 

Edited by CBDellinger
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Its bigger than that... google "Executive leaves Tepper sports" and see how many diff stories there are.  Hes a friggin nightmare to work for... these are dreams sports jobs and the turnover rate is crazy over there.   I know someone that has to deal with him on a regular basis and by all accounts he's an absolute a-hole. 

It's just another part of it all in the end. Having a HC and GM report directly to him will not end up any differently. Being a terrible manager is why those people cycle out. On the football side he was directly involved but this year he was more aware and worked the PR side, that was the only real difference.

His thing worked in a hedge fund and is a clown show in the NFL. I don't think he could run a Bojangles at this point.

41 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

Tepper's meddling lead us to hire Canales and Morgan - D tier hires at best.

He's also clearly instructed said D tier hires to double down on Young.

So yes.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

He meddles in the sense that he signs off on the HC & GM Hires, and also has input on the QB situation more than we'd probably like. I'm not sure how much deeper he can go than that but all of the decisions so far in those 3 areas have been catastrophic failures.

• Pie 1