• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We've seen a full season of Bryce Young now. What aspects of his game have shown progress or improvement?

TN05

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Imma about to start a bring back PJ Walker thread.  He is better than Bryce Young.  And PJ is a bum by NFL standards.  At least PJ makes the game entertaining. 

So far our 3rd string qb has outplayed Young. Let that soak in for a minute. Hell just throw him out there when Young eventually craps the bed again. We already know Dalton wasn't brought in to be a real backup but only a mentor for Young. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

So far our 3rd string qb has outplayed Young. Let that soak in for a minute. Hell just throw him out there when Young eventually craps the bed again. We already know Dalton wasn't brought in to be a real backup but only a mentor for Young. 

yes, the great vet mentor Andy Dalton.  Who did such a great job with Justin Fields we just had to bring him in here. 

The fact Dan Morgan didn't bring alternatives for if things went south (which was fairly easy to see).....speaks volumes of why only Carolina even thought of him.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

I was on the I don't think he's going to ever be good but let's give him a chance... before this game.  He has regressed if anything.   There were open receivers he didn't see or missed so that excuse is gone.  He has now had another full off-season and 17 games so that excuse is gone.  There has been 0 improvement.  He has no trait at qb that is even average.  Every trait he has is straight up bad.  He can't read defenses, he can't see a blitz, he panics when he doesn't need to, he can't feel pressure, he holds on to the ball, he drops too far back, he has bad footwork, he's inaccurate, he can't see over the line, he has a terribly inaccurate deep ball, and he lacks the arm strength to put any zip on the ball.  I'm sure I missed some things.   As someone who was doubtful but hopeful, I now see no salvageable qualities.  All that said I still don't want to reach for a qb at pick #1 just because we need one if none are worth the pick. 

• Beer 3

1 minute ago, CRA said:

yes, the great vet mentor Andy Dalton.  Who did such a great job with Justin Fields we just had to bring him in here. 

The fact Dan Morgan didn't bring alternatives for if things went south (which was fairly easy to see).....speaks volumes of why only Carolina even thought of him.  

I think he was regretting not hedging his bet on the qb position. But in fairness that may not have been an option for him this season. And to be honest there wasn't anyone out that was going to change that. They weren't going to draft another rookie while they are trying to salvage the one they have invested so much in. So in reality it was either Young turns it around or it's over for him. If things don't change immediately I think the entire qb room will get overhauled after the season is over. If Young is still here it will be as a backup solely based on his contract. 

I think we all went into this season knowing this was going to be Bryce’s evaluation year.  I have (will be past tense very soon) high hopes, but low expectations.  Anticipating 3-6 wins with some signs of life.

All in all, my hope is that we see improvement in key areas, including the QB position.  After the end of the season, we should be sitting in decent position to add talent via the draft and free agency when we get out of dead-money purgatory.  Until then…eeesh…let’s be real - the idea that BY can lead this team out of the cellar and eventually to a SB win is far fetched.  Just doesn’t seem to have the skill, size or ability to get it done.  

I don't blame Morgan for not bringing in any competition for Young. When the franchise has invested as much as it has into this specific QB, you throw him out there and let him sink or swim. So far, he's sunk, and I think the writing is on the wall at this point, but you play out the string and give him until at least the midway point this season to show something. The franchise has to be absolutely sure he's a complete dud before giving up on him. But make no mistake, he will not be the starter (and may not even be on the roster) come kick off of game 1 of the 2025 season.

26 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think he was regretting not hedging his bet on the qb position. But in fairness that may not have been an option for him this season. And to be honest there wasn't anyone out that was going to change that. They weren't going to draft another rookie while they are trying to salvage the one they have invested so much in. So in reality it was either Young turns it around or it's over for him. If things don't change immediately I think the entire qb room will get overhauled after the season is over. If Young is still here it will be as a backup solely based on his contract. 

the NFL is full of bodies.  We brought no one in.  We should of drafted a body late, signed a young body off a practice squad, did something.  It's not about finding a franchise QB.  It's about finding some competent QB play.  Depth. A real roster.  I wouldn't call it competition.  Default him as the guy.  Still no reason not to build a real roster. 

And given how horrific Bryce was last year....it's just malpractice to only have him. 

Just now, CRA said:

the NFL is full of bodies.  We brought no one in.  We should of drafted a body late, signed a young body off a practice squad, did something.  It's not about finding a franchise QB.  It's about finding some competent QB play.

Any competent qb's that are out there are already starting for other teams or are their backups. None of the guys available are "better" than what we have. It would be the same results with a different face. If you're going to make a change it has to be for someone you "think" has a shot at being something worth investing in. To me it's just another waste of time and it will not change the fact that the team must draft a qb in the next draft.

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Any competent qb's that are out there are already starting for other teams or are their backups. None of the guys available are "better" than what we have. It would be the same results with a different face. If you're going to make a change it has to be for someone you "think" has a shot at being something worth investing in. To me it's just another waste of time and it will not change the fact that the team must draft a qb in the next draft.

again, we should be trying to build a real roster.  I'm not saying there was a body you could insert week 2 if he sucked and won.   We should be developing other young talent.  Building depth and players.   It's not just about Bryce and being all in or else moving on. 

we got more folks we need to develop. We got Mingo, XL, Saunders, etc.   We need a young live arm to really do that.  Bryce not being functional keeps the rest of the roster from developing or knowing what we got there too.  So everything gets slowed.  That's how you stay behind. 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

again, we should be trying to build a real roster.  I'm not saying there was a body you could insert week 2 if he sucked and won.   We should be developing other young talent.  Building depth and players.   It's not just about Bryce and being all in or else moving on. 

we got more folks we need to develop. We got Mingo, XL, Saunders, etc.   We need a young live arm to really do that.  Bryce not being functional keeps the rest of the roster from developing or knowing what we got there too.  So stop everything if he sucks.  That's how you stay behind. 

That's what the FO decided to do and will have to live with that decision this season. Why is irrelevant at this point. But it's obvious the answer is not on the roster unless Plummer has some Brock Purdy locked up inside ready to be released. This team has more needs than the next 2 drafts can fill.

Edited by Jon Snow

My prior post notwithstanding, and I'm under no illusions he's amazing, but the fact that Justin Fields was had for a 2025 6th round pick in hindsight is a trade the Panthers may have wish they made. Go with Bryce as the unquestioned starter, sure, but at least there would be a contingency in place to evaluate the rest of the roster if Bryce's first month of the season was a colossal faceplant. Fields isn't great, but at the very least he can make plays with his athleticism and throw the ball 40+ yards down the field.

Edited by UNCrules2187

1 hour ago, FutureDynasty said:

CO@CH KILL@H has a new target this season.

C0@CH K1LL@h.jpg

Haha soon everyone will be on Canales play calling is terrible just like everyone was with Reich.  The problem is never trying to run the offense with a QB that doesnt have nfl arm strength and makes terrible decisions and terrible accuracy lol