• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best and worst Performances from Saints Game

Chad_Cota

Hard to find bright spots after the beat down we just endured: 

Best Performances-

• Legette- 4 catches, 35 yards
  • Thielen- 3 catches, 49 Yards
  • Mike Jackson- Played well, looked like our best CB all game. 

Worst Performances- 

• Bryce Young- No confidence, the stage looks to big for him. 
  • JC Horn- burned for 3 TDs, the first TD could have tackled Shaheed but pouted instead. (I hope we do not give this man Patrick Surtain money.) 
  • FS Fuller- If there was a saints TD, he was around the area. One of the worst saftey plays I have seen us role out. 
  • Mingo- 2 fumbles, is a liability on offense. 
  • Dionte Johnson- Underwhelming performance, had a few nice catches right before the half.  
  • The whole run game- 20 Rush attemps, 55 yards. Here is the breakdown- Miles- 5/22, Chubba 6/14, Boone 4/7.
  • $150mm Guards in the run game. No piles were pushed. 
  • Canales, no second half adjustements. Saints sacked Bryce 3 times in a row with the same Corner blitz. 

This team will have to be lead by Dave Canales moving forward. This might be the last season we see Bryce on the roster. I know it's early, but this team has to find it's identity: 

• Establish the run game first. 
  • Control the time of possesion. 
  • Focus on stopping the run. 

Our most succesful season recently was with Steve Wilks (6-6 record) and we prioritized these items. I don't care if we lose every game, I just want to see this team progress in the right direction this year. One thing that sticks out with this team is no identity. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

The offensive line played well in pass blocking. 

The oline is supposed to open holes in the run game.  And they did fairly well in the early part of the game.  Thru the first 16-17 minutes, we averaged about 4.5 per carry.  But once we got down 20-0, the run game was abandoned.  

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

The truth is…it’s not even worth looking at individual performances.  The problem is completely systemic from the top down.  Tepper has taken a mediocre franchise with some short bursts of success and turned it into a laughing stock. I have never seen a more inept team!  The defense got torched early and often.  The offense was a joke from the first play to the last. 

The problem is Tepper.  He has run this organization into the ground.  So long as he remain that the top, the team will remain at the bottom.  Switch in any player in place of some of our worst and this team still loses to the Saints 10 times out of 10.  Even Tom Brady couldn’t do crap with this offense. 

The team is not mentally or physically prepared. The head coach is way out of his depth.  The undersized QB can’t see the field.  The defense is just poo. 

Carolina is the worst team in the league by a mile.  I’ve been a fan of this team for 30 years and the product they’re putting on the field now is by far the worst I’ve ever seen.  It’s literally like the players would be better off to just forfeit the rest of the season and go spend time with their families in good health. 

This is the worst NFL team I’ve ever laid eyes on.  And I watched EVERY game of the 1-15 season. 

Who even cares what individual players might have shown promise?  The first offensive play was as interception!  It was over before it even started. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Not sure how much we can take away from the run game when they got down so fast. So I wouldn’t say the backs or like had a bad performance in that respect.

I’ve been a Bryce supporter and I’m going to keep an open mind about it because he is going to play regardless so we will see if he can sink or swim this year. With that said, it’s getting late early for him. Just poor awareness yesterday, sporadic accuracy, etc. 

Mingo is just awful, shoot him to the moon.

6 minutes ago, Achilles said:

The truth is…it’s not even worth looking at individual performances.  The problem is completely systemic from the top down.  Tepper has taken a mediocre franchise with some short bursts of success and turned it into a laughing stock. I have never seen a more inept team!  The defense got torched early and often.  The offense was a joke from the first play to the last. 

The problem is Tepper.  He has run this organization into the ground.  So long as he remain that the top, the team will remain at the bottom.  Switch in any player in place of some of our worst and this team still loses to the Saints 10 times out of 10.  Even Tom Brady couldn’t do crap with this offense. 

The team is not mentally or physically prepared. The head coach is way out of his depth.  The undersized QB can’t see the field.  The defense is just poo. 

Carolina is the worst team in the league by a mile.  I’ve been a fan of this team for 30 years and the product they’re putting on the field now is by far the worst I’ve ever seen.  It’s literally like the players would be better off to just forfeit the rest of the season and go spend time with their families in good health. 

This is the worst NFL team I’ve ever laid eyes on.  And I watched EVERY game of the 1-15 season. 

Who even cares what individual players might have shown promise?  The first offensive play was as interception!  It was over before it even started. 

Sam Darnold looked competent yesterday. That probably says a lot.

• Pie 2

Shaq Thompson was doing his job, but honestly the other three LBs were nearly non-existent. He had 4 tackles, 6 assists and two TFLs, and that doesn't tell half the story. Clowney, got some pressures, sort of, but he gave out early a lot of times. The other two guys... never heard their names.

The biggest problem isn't coaching or even a single player. It's the whole methodology of this team. Ever since Tepper bought the franchise we, or he, has been hell bent on playing a 3-4 defense. And it just doesn't work against our opponents. More tellingly, our scouting team just cannot seem to get the right parts to make it work. Stop. Scrap the thing and go back to a stout 4-3 and start looking for the next Luke-like MLB (if there will ever be one) to draft before Shaq's time on the field runs out.

And on offense? Stop with the sunk funds idiocy. What we invested in Young was lost. What we invested in even tinier Sanders was lost. Let them go. Move on, take the cap hit, and start the eff over. 

• Beer 1

The D has to play better to allow the run game time to work. They should also abandon the idea they are not a run first team completely. That's not DC's bag but he had better adapt to it or go find another QB option that fits his style. He is also going to have to simplify the passing game to Young's real ability. That's going to take a lot off his table of options but that is what this is. Having to play with Young not under center and then be a run first team is a nightmare scenario. It honestly looks like abandoning Young and finding a PJ Walker type QB would be a vast improvement which is wild.

You missed Shy Tuttle---I saw him getting washed down the line of scrimmage like a leaf in a gutter during a storm.  Hard to watch.

The team seemed to quit early, but your new and improved QB threw a pick to open each half. 

Bryce is mentally weak and he is far from a leader--how can you lead when you are the reason your team is down by 17 points before fans' seats are warm?  I hate it for Bryce, but he needed a strong outing to shut the doubters up.  2.7 seconds?  Works during scrimmages but forgotten during games. Folks, he had open WRs--he is just afraid of throwing a pick.  He is not anticipating, he is reacting. 

When he sees the DB in blitz position, he needs to call a hot route.  Problem?  He is so slow--as if he is deliberately procrastinating--and when the ball is snapped, he is racing to beat the play clock. 

When he returned from his spring break this summer, I expected to see muscle tone and hear that he spent 12 hours per day working out, watching film, perfecting his technique, and meeting with a monk atop a mountain in the Alps.  I heard nothing about his offseason regimen.  It caused concern, but I was optimistic.  I am tired of watching him panic,  I am tired of the glossy-eyed child look on the sideline as if he looked under his bed and saw a real monster, and I am tired of his lack of fire.  He is like a spoiled rich kid whose father lost his job and he has to attend public school.  Rant over.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Shaq Thompson was doing his job, but honestly the other three LBs were nearly non-existent. He had 4 tackles, 6 assists and two TFLs, and that doesn't tell half the story. Clowney, got some pressures, sort of, but he gave out early a lot of times. The other two guys... never heard their names.

The biggest problem isn't coaching or even a single player. It's the whole methodology of this team. Ever since Tepper bought the franchise we, or he, has been hell bent on playing a 3-4 defense. And it just doesn't work against our opponents. More tellingly, our scouting team just cannot seem to get the right parts to make it work. Stop. Scrap the thing and go back to a stout 4-3 and start looking for the next Luke-like MLB (if there will ever be one) to draft before Shaq's time on the field runs out.

And on offense? Stop with the sunk funds idiocy. What we invested in Young was lost. What we invested in even tinier Sanders was lost. Let them go. Move on, take the cap hit, and start the eff over. 

The team building is frustrating. I think the D should improve but they showed up so poorly prepared that it's hard for me to expect much of it going forward. Watching a healthy Horn get burned after all the 'shutdown corner' talk was brutal from the little talent they have on the roster. I still think it's the people Tepper hires and not the 3-4 itself. Tepper does not hire well and his active manageing skills appear to be even worse. Morgan's hype was mostly past love, his roster is a mess and wasn't anchored in the reality of the situation. It took 1 game for the wheels to fall off that retool. DC is not prepared to be a HC, it's not close. He certainly isn't ready to be a HC that calls the game. He needs to let that go and focus on being a HC. It's another giant mess.

They need a massive rebuild where they leave the past in the past and find the change they have avoided since Tepper got here. No dragging the past into it or it will be more of the same.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The D has to play better to allow the run game time to work. They should also abandon the idea they are not a run first team completely. That's not DC's bag but he had better adapt to it or go find another QB option that fits his style. He is also going to have to simplify the passing game to Young's real ability. That's going to take a lot off his table of options but that is what this is. Having to play with Young not under center and then be a run first team is a nightmare scenario. It honestly looks like abandoning Young and finding a PJ Walker type QB would be a vast improvement which is wild.

That is kind of the nutshell explanation. Besides just wasting everything indulging this fantasy. 

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He is like a spoiled rich kid whose father lost his job and he has to attend public school.  Rant over.

That is a very good way to put it. He was dogging it, not being a dog. 

If the bench had been longer, he'd have been farther towards the end of it. 

Edited by strato