• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"These Guys Just Don't Care..."

Hogan

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I still don't get how your really bad rookie QB who is now going into his 2nd or 3rd O....didn't need crazy work in the preseason.  They treated Bryce Young like he was an old Peyton Manning.   Everyone needed work.  Everyone was new.  First time HC, first time OC, OL playing by folks for the first time, young skill folks.  It's all so predictable.   

I think Bryce is probably a great X' and O's guy, but it doesn't translate to the field, at least in non-7-0n7 practice scenario such as actual games. He'd likely be a decent coach later on in life.  Most really good coaches have high game acumen, but were never great players themselves.  My theory is Bryce can TALK ball on a very high level, draw it up, give correct reads, make checks based on coverage--all on a WHITE BOARD, but can't deliver when it's for real.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You say you played football, and you never had teammates who didn't care?

Bro I seen players get scared the moment they step on the field. I was watching a documentary with the Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o said his teammates were shook the moment Alabama came out of the tunnel. He openly admitted he knew his team had no shot.

Yes some players don't care. Not all, but some do that is fact. Some people are good enough to get paid. Some don't really care for the game they just care what the game brings them off the field.

Cmon bro it's like this in every sport. Some players care more than others. We have seen athletes admit they didn't really care much for a particular sport they just happened to be good at it and chose it for a career path.

I started this post to address the people who made blanket statements that "the team just didn't care." I don't agree with that and I believe a statement like that is ludicrous. Are there some in every sport who don't care? Yes. Is it the norm and can be applied to an entire team? No.

Concerning the "putting food on the table" comment. I'll stick by that. Most of these guys realize they have a very short amount of time to make life changing money. And most of these guys ARE NOT set for life after playing 3 or 4 years in the league. So, they are motivated to "care" about their job and their income in order to take care of their families.

"Oh, I don't care about the game today. Even though I want to buy my mother a house and I have two small children." Yeah, that makes lots of sense.

10 hours ago, Hogan said:

I felt the need to start a post with this. I have read it several times here today. ANYONE who writes that and means it immediately loses credibility. One guy wrote this and then four paragraphs of his opinion. Pal, you immediately lose credibility when you write "these guys just don't care."

Seriously?!?!?! These guys are working to put food on the table and a roof over the heads of their families and they "don't care." Working their butts off to have a job in the NFL and they "don't care?" I can 100% assure you they care way more than you ever will. 

Anyone who writes that cannot be be taken seriously.

Is that you Tepper's wife?

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I think Bryce is probably a great X' and O's guy, but it doesn't translate to the field, at least in non-7-0n7 practice scenario such as actual games. He'd likely be a decent coach later on in life.  Most really good coaches have high game acumen, but were never great players themselves.  My theory is Bryce can TALK ball on a very high level, draw it up, give correct reads, make checks based on coverage--all on a WHITE BOARD, but can't deliver when it's for real.

that's probably true.  I can tell me son all sorts of things to do on a ballfield.  My body won't do them though. 

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 10.50.54 AM.png

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

They get paid the same either way, so why should they care?

You only get "care" when you motivate a group of people to work towards a common goal. Contracts are moving more towards gtd money up front, less impact if you get cut. I think Bryce's contract was almost fully gtd and he got a huge chunk of it upfront in a bonus. 

1 hour ago, Hogan said:

So, someone spends six weeks working out in 100 degree heat and they don't care? Got it.

So you are telling me that nobody out there or on any other team EVER mails it in and just goes through the motions? Got it.

I'm just going by my own experiences. Played 4 years in the SEC, years in and out of Arena ball AF1 back when it was worth a poo then went into strength coaching and finally performance coaching on the side back at my alma mater. I have seen guys absolutely put their heart and souls into it and I've seen others and wondered what in the heck they were even doing out there because they did not give a damn.

My father spent time on 4 teams in the NFL and one being the 85 Bears so as a kid I was around people who NEVER gave up like Walter Payton, Richard Dent and Mike Singletary and well pretty much every other damn player on that entire team of wild nasty scary bad asses but my dad if he were still here would say as well that he spent time in college and the pros with guys who believe it or not did not give a rats ass and were there to go through the motions and collect a pay check. It's really no different than any other job except these players are mostly freaks of nature (not Bryce) and don't make their living pecking away at a computer in a cubicle. Look at the computer peckers in the cubicle farms, some bust their asses and others are pretty much worthless and going through the motions. The NFL and EVERY team out there and EVERY professional sport is the same exact way.

Growing up for whatever reason my dad was friends with a ton of pro wrestlers you've seen on TV and are legendary. Some cared and worked their butts off, others it was sunset a paycheck and they didn't give a damn. It's like that in every job and we as Panther fans to our team can and will have it as well. Guys get upset for various reason and just shut down. It happens in every job everywhere is all I'm trying to say. Unfortunately it's normal and there will always be some. I don't like that fact but it does exist.

Edited by Ricky Prickles